Snowshoe dubbing any recommendations???

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

I've been tying up some of Mike Heck's emergers lately and saving the underfur from the Snowshoe. Any suggestions on patterns to use this dubbing on?
I did find this site which list a couple patterns but mostly for dyed SS. I have natural which appears greyish but not dark enough for an adams.

www.hafft.ca/SnowshoePatterns.com

This always comes to mind first:

The Usual

Try these on the LL during the sulfur hatch. ;-)

Thank you you always come through for me. Where's your fishing report from this past weekend?

I'd rather not post one, since I'm not too proud of the fact that I was dumb enough to wear plain felt bottom boots - slid down the bank, and wound up on my butt in the stream. It was a Kodak moment, I'm sure, but no one saw it. :-D

I luuuuuuuv that pattern. For one thing, you can get a half dozen different colors of snowshoe and still not break the bank. And with it being so cheap to tie, you can fire that baby into the nastiest cover on the stream without worrying about your $3 flyshop pattern.

Try tying up some "Usual spinners" A Usual with bleached white fur wing and tail, and rusty spinner dubbed body. It's a winner whenever there is a spinner fall, just match the size to the natural.

Snowshoe fur is wonderfully bouyant too. And when it gets waterlogged, just give it a good squeeze to get the water out, fluff it up and dress it. It'll float like a cork. You'll wonder why you ever bought all that CDC.

I have gotten SS feet from different sources and have a decent array of shades/colors. Good to have some grey, tan, cream, brown etc.
I have done some experimenting by coloring in with markers buy I don't recall using these flies very much.
I like a floating PT nymph with brown SS as the wing case...takes picky fish in the reg areas

Back