Snow Fishing

D

DJB66

Just curious if anyone else out there is like me on this one.My wife thinks I am crazy.I just got back in from fishing a small clas-a trout stream near my house,I couldn't wait to get out.Whenever it starts to snow I love to get out fishing in the snow.There is only slushy half inch or so and only caught one trout,(and 3 creek chubs)but I love to get out and fish while the snow is falling.My question is is there anyone else out there that also enjoys it or am I (like my wife thinks) the only crazy one out there.

I like fishing when its snowing...for some reason it doesn't seem as cold when it falling than when its fallen. It must be a psychological thing or maybe because its usually not as windy during the snowfall. I don;t know but I don;t think you're nuts. I also noticed I seem to catch a lot of fish when its snowing too.

You are not the only one that fishes in the snow, nor the only crazy fly angler, so tell your wife to relax. I think the woods are most beautiful in the winter with some snow cover and falling snow. My first 3-4 years of fly fishing, I fished every weekend throughout the Winter, regardless of temperatures. Fifteen degrees was no hinderance. However, over the last several years, I am beginning to limit my Winter outings to days over freezing, over 40 is better. I guess I'm getting old.

This is good to hear. I rarely get out during the winter but would like to more. Snow while it's falling is the best, so it
would atleast be peaceful while out. My wife is going to have me committed though.
And I too agree about it not seeming as cold while it's snowing.
Chris

Naa, You're OK! Fishing in the winter snow is great!! I find very relaxing and peaceful. Tight lines without iced up eyes!!

JH

I had an outing last February where the snow was so deep I was glad I was wearing waders.

While it's not what I would consider ideal fishing conditions, it's definately something I enjoy doing. Generally speaking you won't find as many people on the stream. Erie is actually somewhat approachable during the colder months. I hate the crowds up there.

dj - Last time I went out it wassn't snowing, but it was cold, adn I had the same count as you (1 trout, 3 chub). Here's the funny thing; the trout was about 4 inches long, which made me happier than if it had been 1 foot.

Here's why; I was in the Approved section of a creek, a few miles downstream from a class A section. I wasn't sure that trout spawned that far down stream. A bigger trout could have been a holdover, but a tiny one like that has to be wild.

Never fished Pa. in the winter but I can say I had some fabulous fishing in Montana on days when it was spitting snow,in the fall.Snow in spring was the kiss of death.
I was wandering around the weather channel and saw it was snowing in State College.I was stunned to see that.Florida spoils you.Went for a nice three hour ride in my kayak today.Hang in there guys,only 5 more months to opening day.

Don't worry about your wives' thinking you're nuts--or anyone else thinking you're nuts, for that matter. Heck, they think we're nuts the rest of the year, too, so who cares that they think our elevators don't go to the top b/c we fish when it's snowing? With a warm pair of neoprenes, you won't get very cold anyhow. Just don't fall in!

As for falling in I did do that A few years ago.I was fishing a small stream on the local state game lands.After I went in I ran like crazy back to my truck.Thank god nobody was around that day to see me sitting in my truck in my underwear.Anyhow dried off got changed(always carry extra clothes) and got back out fishing

Last november, I fished in a heavy snow fall up in Pulaski. I was on a tiny salmon river trib. It may have been one of my most enjoyable trips ever. I only landed one fish, hooking about 5. The serenity and pure awesomeness of the situation is what made it great.

Dear DJB,

It was almost 20 years ago but I remember a snowy Saturday in February when my brother Terry and I fished Big Fishing Creek in Lamar.

As we were leaving the stream the Penn-DOT plow truck operator came walking down to check on us and see if we were OK? My little Isuzu Trooper was all crusted up and covered with plow wash and it looked abandoned. He couldn't believe we were out.

The only thing I like more than fishing in the snow is driving in it. Nothing like being the first car to put your wheels on an unplowed road. I could drive across country in a snow storm if I didn't have to share the road with idiots who can't drive.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Have had several snowy days the past few years where I had the LL Heritage section all to myself. Great time to fish.

Definitely one of the best times of year to be out fishing as long as your guides don't freeze. There is just something so calming and serene about the low roar of water through a snow filled valley and knowing you alone on the stream. A beautiful site that matches just about any other one can experience. Just remember to bring your shades!

I think it weeds out the true fishermen up here.
I'm usually out until: the reel freezes, I need a one ounce weight to keep my fly down or the fly has become an ice cube.
The color of the season is blue.
Crb

I love winter fishing. It is one of the most peaceful times on the water, especially if it is snowing.

All right, I'm going to be the first to throw a dissenting opinion here, but here goes.
I'm likely done with fishing now until March - ice and flyrods are not a good mix in my book. Numb fingers and feet, along with the possibility of slipping on ice or snow and falling into frigid water is not my idea of fun. You guys though, make it sound like a walk in the park, and I do admire your hardiness.
I should also point out here that I only fish dries, so winter isn't likely to provide my type of fishing anyway
And believe me, I sure get my share of time on the water for the nine months or so of nice weather. But I have no problem with taking a break from it for awhile.
That said, I have been caught on the stream during a snowstorm a few times - early and late in the year. And at least once that I can remember, I even fished to risers during a heavy squall.
I'd like to ask you guys who love winter, was that a fluke? Or do you find hatches and risers fairly often during snow?

By the way, I didn't post it on the thread about fly shops that somehow morphed into a discussion about musical artists, but I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of Bob Dylan. I know that's blasphemy for most of you guys, but I've kinda always been the odd man out my whole life, I guess.

It is universally true that you cannot convince someone to enjoy an artist or work of art. It is a matter of taste and one either enjoys it or not. There simply is no objective truth in art. This said, it seems to apply doubly for artists like Dylan that are one-offs. You can't convince a fan he is anything less than a genius, and a fan couldn't convince you he was anything other than a buffoon.

As for winter fishing, I originally did it despite the weather-- I just had to fish every weekend and the weather was not going to be a hinderance. Like you, I prefer dry fly fishing at least 4-1 over other kinds, so after the initial period of fishing whenever and for as long as I can wore off, I started being more selective as to time of day and season of the year. I still will get out in the winter, but not nearly as much, nor for long periods of time.

Once you have the right equipment to keep you safe the rest is mental. I've done 40 milers down the ridge of Shenandoah in February and loved it. I've also been out in Memorial Day on Penns when it was damp and 40 degrees and hated it. In the first I expected cold and accepted it. On Penns I expected warmer weather and couldn't accept the cold. If your mind isn't into it forget it.

Back