Snakeheads in Marsh Creek Reservoir

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I saw a post on a local fishing site about snakeheads being spotted in Marsh Creek Reservoir.

I checked with a reliable source connected with the PFBC and found it's true and they are reproducing there. Adults with fry were seen and fry were captured at the lake recently by the FBC.

This really sucks. They had to be put in the lake by some ****** fisherfool. I can't tell you how stupid some jerks are for spreading an invasive species to our lakes and rivers and streams just because they think they're fun fish to catch. There's no telling what the result will be because of their introduction.

I'm trying to catch more of our conventional wild species as fast as I can.

Agree Afish.
Hopefully the impact is minimal but I’m not optimistic based on the little bit I know about this species.
These kind of people have zero respect for the environment and likely are the same ones who trash up our rivers, streams and natural areas. I’d prefer to see huge fines for those people spreading these invasive species however they need to be caught first and that’s not likely. Maybe someone in the know will rat them out sooner or later.

terminate with extreme prejudice (referring to the fish)

Salvelinus, you can add other relatively recent introductions... snakeheads in Bernharts Res, near Reading, snakeheads in a Lancaster Co town pond; plus flatheads in Deep Creek Dam, Montgomery Co, Sweet Arrow Lk, Schuylkill Co, Lk Ontelaunee, Berks Co, some western Pa lakes as well; plus Gizzard shad in Lk Marburg, York Co, and Alewife in Kaercher Creek Dam, Berks County, and don’t get me started on White Perch.

Modification to the above #6...should say reported, but yet unconfirmed report of snakeheads introduced in that Lancaster Co town pond.

Sorry, I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Just remember that almost every other fish you enjoy catching in the majority of places that you fish are also not native.

I agree that people shouldn't take the liberties of spreading fish like they do but there is absolutely zero way to stop it. One day the fishery will just be accepted as it is. Maybe Marburg will become a snakehead lake in a a generation of two and be a renowned location.

You know, just like how people love cathing those non native smallmouths from the Susquehanna......

Just remember that almost every other fish you enjoy catching in the majority of places that you fish are also not native.

I agree that people shouldn't take the liberties of spreading fish like they do but there is absolutely zero way to stop it. One day the fishery will just be accepted as it is. Maybe Marburg will become a snakehead lake in a a generation of two and be a renowned location.

You know, just like how people love cathing those non native smallmouths from the Susquehanna......

but there is absolutely zero way to stop it

I call BS that "there is absolutely zero way to stop" every fisher man should follow the law, "that possession, transport, and importation of a live snakehead is unlawful". If you just stand by and let this happen then you are just as culpable and the idiot who transplanted it.

If I ever catch one I will do as requested by the PAF&B, killed and disposed of properly. IMO any responsible PA fisherman should do the same.

The super bass is now in Marsh wonder which fish will reign supreme as top predator on the lake the musky or the snakehead. Curious if there will be hysteria from the sail boaters and paddle boarders considering all the sensationalism given by the media and the PFBC. I guess they will have to educate the people that the fish will not come on land and eat their young children and pets and teach them real information about the fish.

Can’t wait to see the bs info come out from the news stories on this one.

jifigz wrote:

Smallmouths are non-native species to the Susquehanna, although they are and were native in the neighboring Allegheny watershed in PA. Snakeheads are "invasive" which means will be or may be harmful to the ecosystem.

Besides, because questionable things were done in the past doesn't mean it was okay to continue to do these things. You would think we would learn from our mistakes. The old adage the states "two wrongs don't make a right" rings true in this case.

Finally When people start to pick and choose what rules or laws to follow and which to break, we are all in trouble. If one thinks it's okay to stock fish illegally, another think it's okay to fish out of season, someone else will decide to disregard the limit on fish, and the third may think nothing of lifting that rod sitting in the back of your truck.

guess i'll be tying snakehead flies for musky...just more reason to stock more "adult" musky in Marsh....i fish it a lot and will personally kill every snakehead i catch!....

guess i'll be tying snakehead flies for musky...just more reason to stock more "adult" musky in Marsh....i fish it a lot and will personally kill every snakehead i catch!....

Thank you.

govtmule wrote:

I’m sure the snakeheads will love the white truck bringing in the all inclusive musky buffet :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• A136E19D-FC85-4B30-A9EA-91FBAF80F5E7.jpeg
    A136E19D-FC85-4B30-A9EA-91FBAF80F5E7.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 13
With the abundance of small Bluegill in Marsh Creek Lake the best way to exert some pressure on snakehead population growth in addition to harvesting adults would be to target nest guarding adults at their visible nesting sites. The Bluegill will do the rest on the tasty fry, resulting in a double whammy.

Then it is just a matter of time until they pass down the spillway and into the east branch of the brandywine. Say goodbye to the delayed harvest stretch between Dowling Forge and Dorlen Mill.

GeneBeam wrote:

but there is absolutely zero way to stop it

I call BS that "there is absolutely zero way to stop" every fisher man should follow the law, "that possession, transport, and importation of a live snakehead is unlawful". If you just stand by and let this happen then you are just as culpable and the idiot who transplanted it.

If I ever catch one I will do as requested by the PAF&B, killed and disposed of properly. IMO any responsible PA fisherman should do the same.

Just want to point something out to you.....I said I didn't like it and wish people wouldn't do it. I have also learned I am not going to fight a battle that's impossible to win. People know they shouldn't do this, there is a law, and it's done anyways. So, sir, you said it is BS that it can't be stopped which means you think it can be stopped. So what's your solution?

afishinado wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Smallmouths are non-native species to the Susquehanna, although they are and were native in the neighboring Allegheny watershed in PA. Snakeheads are "invasive" which means will be or may be harmful to the ecosystem.

Besides, because questionable things were done in the past doesn't mean it was okay to continue to do these things. You would think we would learn from our mistakes. The old adage the states "two wrongs don't make a right" rings true in this case.

Finally When people start to pick and choose what rules or laws to follow and which to break, we are all in trouble. If one thinks it's okay to stock fish illegally, another think it's okay to fish out of season, someone else will decide to disregard the limit on fish, and the third may think nothing of lifting that rod sitting in the back of your truck.

I am not condoning the actions of spreading them. I think they shouldn't be spread like they are.

I will debate you on one point though. The term "invasive." From where a creature came is pointless. Flatheads are native to the neighboring Allegheny and Ohio watershed and they are invasive. Brown Trout are native to Europe and they are invasive. Brook trout are native to the eastern U.S. and they are invasive in the west. Yes, they are all non native but also invasive. Why? They have dramatically spread through the watersheds in which they're in and disrupt other fish populations. Smallmouth bass "invaded" every suitable trib of the rivers in which they were stocked. It's in the eye of the beholder.

Plus, I don't believe snakeheads have caused near the harm as they were displayed to in the beginning.

I stated what I’m going to do, “If I ever catch one I will do as requested by the PAF&B, killed and disposed of properly. IMO any responsible PA fisherman should do the same.” what are you going to do, wait until their nothing to catch in PA warm water streams except snakehead, then like some other scream about it, can’t catch anything except snakeheads. If not now, then when, if not us then, who will protect Pennsylvania’s waters.

Plus, I do believe snakeheads have caused harm in the waters that they have been let to strive.

Mike’s angle on bluegill aiding in the control of the “frankenfish” brought a huge grin to my face. Guess I just enjoy the irony.

Back