Snagging season?

jayL

jayL

Link

I found this interesting. They have a snagging season. It is managed like hunting.

So, you taking the centerpin out there, then or is it the moffitt system? :)

Look, someones got to fill in for the cranks 'round here, may as well be me.

I'm thinking of trying dynamite this year

I got a 10' rod with a reel with 550yds. of line and can cast 200yds. lets go...see how it does against a centerpin..

I can cast my one spinning rod 100 or more with 2 oz weight. I'm in.

Aren't paddlefish endangered here in PA? Why would they be allowed to be taken in such a "non-sporting" mannor in another state?

Also, the very last sentence of the article... what is a "nonsport" fish?

They have good populations there.

I would imagine a "nonsport" fish is any fish that doesn't have specific regs.

I don't think paddlefish eat anything that bait or lures can replicate- so snagging may be the only way to get one.

If you look around there is a good bit of info on this "sport".

A while back there was a print up about snagging paddlefish in the Gazette I believe.

YouTube it, I love watching women with no teeth snag fish with a salt water rod. Gets the blood going.

I read somewhere they let them snag them 'cause they wont take any conventional way.............30-06?

Streamer wrote:
If you look around there is a good bit of info on this "sport".

A while back there was a print up about snagging paddlefish in the Gazette I believe.

YouTube it, I love watching women with no teeth snag fish with a salt water rod. Gets the blood going.

The state manages paddle fish pops through harvest. It's no different than managing with hunting, commercial fishing, sport fishing, etc.

If that's the only way to catch them, and they need to be/can be culled, then what's the problem?

jayL wrote:
If that's the only way to catch them, and they need to be/can be culled, then what's the problem?

Unless they need to be (ie, asian carp), this is a pretty crappy way to fish.

All joking about snagging w/ the moffitt system aside, I watched a few of the videos Streamer mentioned, they're pretty barbaric. It's not sporting.

Could someone give me a short description of what centerpinning and the moffit system are and why are they usually spoken of in a negative way? Do this for an old fart who has heard them referred to many times i just wasn't paying attention.

Moffitt system is pretty clever, there's a circle hook at the end of the line, and the flies are built on tubes that'll slide down the line. So, the fish mouths a softer, more realistic feeling fly, then hooks himself as he pulls away on the outside of the mouth with the circle hook.

The reason people claim its snagging is because its on the outside of the mouth, not the inside. The reason that reasonable people don't think its snagging is because it requires the fish to actually take the hook.

Centerpinning involves mega-long dead drifts. The reel just spins around a center pin spooling out line while the current drifts your offering. Eventually, you see the take, set the hook and turn the drag on the reel. The reason this gets a bad name is because its easy to dead drift your offering down an entire stream dominating the water.

I know Jay does pinning, and can probably explain it better. Not sure if anyone here has actually tried the Moffitt system, most are unsure what PA law has to say about it.

Gfen has it, except there is usually no drag. You apply pressure to the spool with your hand for drag. Most of the skill in pinning is casting (you can't just open a bail or strip line out in false casts) and fighting fish (no drag).

Long rods (11ft+) are often used.

Jay I came accross a dvd on center pinning I will make you a copy if you want .

Sounds good fred. PM incoming..

jayL wrote:
Gfen has it, except there is usually no drag.

Really? SOmeone told me that most reels had a selector on them, and you could click it from centerpin to regular drag. Shows what I know.

I just assumed with how everyone rants about steelhead and drags, that these things had proper drags on 'em.

Back