Snagging season?

gfen wrote:
jayL wrote:
Gfen has it, except there is usually no drag.

Really? SOmeone told me that most reels had a selector on them, and you could click it from centerpin to regular drag. Shows what I know.

I just assumed with how everyone rants about steelhead and drags, that these things had proper drags on 'em.

None that I have used. They have a clicker mode, but it's more like a strong click and pawl used for keeping it from spinning while walking or in storage.

Maybe that's the exception rather than the rule, but I have yet to see one with drag.

They do this one the Yellowstone as well. I gotta say that it's an ugly way to go about reducing a fish to possession.

If a "cull" is needed to properly manage them , and they can't be caught on conventional methods , isn't it better to let them snag them and use them , instead of doing what happened at some of the National Parks , like Gettysburg , where instead of letting the public come in , under a controlled hunt , and "cull" the deer herd , They proposed using , and used in some cases , employees of the Fish and Wildlife dept. to do it and who knows what happened to the meat/food which would have been used by the public. I don't snag fish and wouldn't participate even if i could , but i'd rather let folks who want and need to do it , DO IT , instead of the other options.

This isn't all that unusual, really..

So far as I am aware, there continues to be a short season on Lake Champlain where it is legal to shoot northern pike under Vermont regs.

That's from memory. Somebody could google it if they want. But I'm pretty sure, even after a lot of controversy, it was still a legal pastime through the 2009 season.

i think the reason snagging is allowed for paddle fish is because i was told its afilter feeding fish that gets huge paddlefish

Back