SMB on the schulkyll?

M

moosehunter

Anyone have any luck here?

moosehunter,

FBC Mike has been posting reports about pretty dismal SMB populations in the lower Skuke. Spotty to none in a lot of areas. Poor habitat in certain areas for sure, also maybe flatheads?...water quality? No one knows.

Anyway, he reports decent fishing from near Reading up through Hamburg. HTH.

Moose, last summer my room mate and i floated about 10 miles downstream from pottstown. The fishing wasn't anything to write home about but we caught a few. I think i had 8-10 bass but only one was a decent size, maybe 13-14inches. My room mate didn't catch as many as me and he was spin fishing. I believe his biggest was about 12 inches. That was my first time fishing the skuke, so i don't have much perspective, but i will say the stream's old tire population seems to be thriving. On one exposed beach i think we counted 30 something visible tires. Definetly the most tires i've ever seen on any stream.

I counted more like 300 tires on the Juniata River. My guess is they were put there for structure... the Skuke, I'm not so sure. The section afish was referring to was around the confluence of Valley Creek. They shocked the section around Conshy last year looking for shad and found a good number of nice smallmouth. I'd concentrate there.

Bam, the ones on the Juniata are there for the same reason the ones in the Susky are. It was a cheap place to dump tires back in the day and nobody cared. They do make good structure, though. ;-)

Boyer

MattBoyer wrote:
Bam, the ones on the Juniata are there for the same reason the ones in the Susky are. It was a cheap place to dump tires back in the day and nobody cared. They do make good structure, though. ;-)

Boyer

Yup. The closer you are to a bridge, the more tires there are. They're handy for estimating the size of fish though. When you see a muskie twice as long as the tire diameter.....

bam wrote:
I counted more like 300 tires on the Juniata River. My guess is they were put there for structure... the Skuke, I'm not so sure. The section afish was referring to was around the confluence of Valley Creek. They shocked the section around Conshy last year looking for shad and found a good number of nice smallmouth. I'd concentrate there.

Do you have the report to confirm this because I remember reading otherwise .

Fredrick wrote:
bam wrote:

Do you have the report to confirm this because I remember reading otherwise .

'09 survey @ Conshy:

http://www.fishandboat.com/images/fisheries/afm/2009/6x06_18schuylkill.htm

Up here on the NB Suskie the tire "hatches" make good redds for the SMB. Plop a fly into the center of a tire and usually one can find a bass either watching over its redd or sitting in the slack the tire creates.

2 years ago we did a 1 mile river clean up and FILLED a 20 cubic yard dumpter with 46 tires. 2 being large tractor tires. That was just the tire waste. We filled another dumpster with remains from a meth lab (I think?) 5 ammonia tanks the size of grill propane tanks? Local Volly Fire Dept got involved with those tanks... Haz-mat ain't for me!

I was still catching smallies in 09 . So are they still there ?

Back