Smallmouth set up

poopdeck wrote:
Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to go with a 6wt. I never met a rod I couldn't cast. I never paid more then 150.00 bucks for a rod and usually I pay less then a hundo for one.

Running Cricket, I like to furl and fish thread based furled leaders. What's your thoughts on furled mono leaders. That's a tapered furled leader made on a jig not a hand twisted leader.

PD,

I make and fish hand twisted mono leaders. Actually, I will demonstrating how to make them at the newbie Jam on March 15th.

Anyway, I like the hand twisted leaders made from mono because they are supple and do not coil up. When you're talking furled leaders made with a jig and twisted thousands of times, I would stick to the thread furled leaders you now use. They are a lot less stiff than mono and certainly fluoro leaders made on a jig.

Afish, I have read your post on mono twisted leaders, I think. If I am correct you tie different lb test together and then twist the different legs together. If this is correct, aren't you making a tapered furled mono leader just with more knots in it?

I have furled mono leaders and they do seem a bit stiff so I have also been experimenting with thread leaders with a single strand mono core. All the snow keeps me indoors so I have yet to put the mono or mono core leaders on a rod to try out.

poopdeck wrote:
Afish, I have read your post on mono twisted leaders, I think. If I am correct you tie different lb test together and then twist the different legs together. If this is correct, aren't you making a tapered furled mono leader just with more knots in it?

I have furled mono leaders and they do seem a bit stiff so I have also been experimenting with thread leaders with a single strand mono core. All the snow keeps me indoors so I have yet to put the mono or mono core leaders on a rod to try out.

PD,

Single diameter mono line twisted together and over each other to get a taper. Easier to actually do than explain.

Attachments

• Furled leaders Afish MOD.jpg
    Furled leaders Afish MOD.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 3
Yep that's what I read. No matter how many times I read it, I can't seem to make sense of it. It has to be easier to learn by watching then explaining.

I use either a 8 1/2 foot 5 wgt or 9 foot 6 wgt built on Cabela's moderate action blanks. I have 3 spools for the 6 wgt with a WFF, and intermediate sink, and fast sink tip lines on them. I've been using furled leaders for about 12 years now and won't go back to the mono or fluorocarbon one. Don't make them but have managed to acquire enough of the thread ones by swapping flies or tying materials for them. I use a 6 to 8 foot fluorocarbon tippet, usually 8 or 10 lb test. When I'm on vacation in Canada I bump that up to 25 or 30 lb because you never know when a pike will show up.
As far as flies go I prefer poppers, sliders or crease flies but with today's materials it's not to hard tie up a 4 to 6 inch fly that can be cast with a 6 wgt. I try to avoid heavy flies and use either the intermediate or sink tip to get my flies down if I need to.

with the 6 - 8 foot tippet how long is your furled leader?

I prefer the jig for furled leaders with mono, depends what mono you use how stiff it gets.

poopdeck
Three to five feet. They were specifically made for bass fishing.

Back