Smallmouth rod ?

Dear ratgunner,

Another 8 weight guy here. The smallest flies I use for smallmouth are size 4 and I'll go as large as 1/0 to 3/0 on many days. When smallmouth are actively feeding a bait that is 4 or 5 inches long is nowhere near too large.

One thing that many people forget when casting larger wind resistant flies is their leader. That makes casting those flies a chore even for a good caster.

Forget about using typical "trout" leader materials and use something like Maxima Chameleon or Mason hard mono. Stiff leaders are needed to turn over those big flies and smallies ain't exactly leader shy.

You don't need to think of using anything lighter than 8# test and many times 10, 12 or even 15# test is perfectly useful so you don't need to carry anything lighter than 3X and you'll probably use 2X or even 1X alot if you really get into it.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Good point on the leaders. But I make my own and they worked great turn over wasnt a problem. I think Im just used to casting on smallish trout streams with light stuff. I guess I got the right equiptment I just need to work on my casting.

Yeah, I labor with the 9wt at first. It is slower than my trout rods, which takes a bit to get used to. Even though it is only medium action, it throws flies pretty well.

After a few hours, I start dropping loops again, but that's good enough for me.

I want to get a nice, light, fast 7 or 8wt. The dan craft FT is so fast that it's basically a weight higher than rated, so the 7 would be perfect.

Jay this obviously doesn't pertain to you but the FT should be reserved for experienced casters. It is a superior grade blank but the trade off for being built with such a high quality (light and stiff) strain of graphite is brittleness. I think that's a word. Supposedly 3M has fixed that issue but for now it applies to several blanks and the FT is one of them.

If you like fast rods it's hard to beat though.

matt

I have the 5wt. I'll make sure to be careful with it.

No, it was built for me as a gift.

But I have built a rod, and plan to do more.

I have a 9' 7 weight and sometimes it feels like too much for even bass, I wouldn't mind trying a 10' or 11' 5 weight for the river.

My stiff 7 weight ripped an olive bugger right through a 15 lb. catfish's lip. I may have been a little too excited and tried to bring it in too fast. Plus there was 4 guys watchin' my rod bending from the size of the catfish. It feels too fast and overpowering for anything less than 12 lb. test or trophy sized fish. Maybe it's just my preference to slower more moderate action rods, but it sure does cast heavy nymphs and streamers pretty far out there.

I've made a note to actually go out get some 2X-0X tippet finally as I typically never use bigger than 4X tippet.

I honestly feel over gunned when using my 9' #7, I feel like I would have no problem with a nice steelhead or musky on it with heavy enough line. I've had two large sized fish on with it so far and I don't see the need for a heavier rig anytime soon.

That's a pretty nice gift. :) I wish I had some friends like that.

FWIW, Bob Clouser specifically stated an 8'9" rod in 6/7/8 wt with a moderate flex was his choice in his presentation yesterday.

I just checked, the Clouser Signature TFOs are from 5wt to 10wt, 8'9" long.

I think it depends on the size of the waters you plan on fishing, but a 9' 6wt or 9' 7wt seems about right for serious smallmouth fishing. By serious smallmouth fishing I mean typical fishing would require mid to long range casts with weighted flies and possibly sink tips or sinking lines and targeting fish in the 12"+ range.

I personally prefer the 9' 6wt as it matches the waters I fish most often and my methods: Medium sized creeks with small to large sized streamers that may include a moderate amount of weight and infrequent need to use a sink tip. I also sometimes like a 9' 6wt for fishing big trout streams such as Penns or LJ depending on flow. Now on bigger waters for bass, I'd love to have a 9' 7wt but I use a 9' 8wt and get by. It certainly puts a beating on those smaller than desired bass...

Kev

gfen wrote:
FWIW, Bob Clouser specifically stated an 8'9" rod in 6/7/8 wt with a moderate flex was his choice in his presentation yesterday.

I just checked, the Clouser Signature TFOs are from 5wt to 10wt, 8'9" long.

The clouser rod is nice but it wieghts 5.1 ounces and like you said it's not even 9' .

Harry Murray says in his book he prefers a rod with a "strong" tip and "flexible" midsection...not sure what he means by that.

He means parabolic. :)

ratgunner wrote:
Harry Murray says in his book he prefers a rod with a "strong" tip and "flexible" midsection...not sure what he means by that.

Sounds kind of like Kelly Galloup describing his Bank Robber streamer rod the other day.

So a strong tip is a fast tip ? And a flexible midsection is a moderate/flexes into the handle or near the handle ? Sounds like a Med/Fast action to me.

Back