Smallmouth Float Trips Between Philly and MI

Geno28

Geno28

A buddy of mine who I fish with regularly lives in Michigan and we were trying to plan a trip for Labor Day weekend where we can meet somewhat halfway as I live in Philly. He'll be bringing his raft down and we're trying to plan some float trips primarily for smallmouth (open to trout fishing too, but figure our options this time of year and location may be limiting). My initial thought was the Clarion from what I've seen as it holds decent smallmouth populations, is somewhat floatable, and scenic. I was curious, however, if anyone has any recommendations for other bodies of water that lend themselves to floating. I am a bit nervous about all the tubers and kayakers so trying to plan around that as it is a holiday week. Would appreciate any recommendations or access tips for the Clarion.

I'm not a western PA guy, but I'd highly recommend the upper Allegheny River. There are many float opportunities there. It's a world class SMB river and also hold muskies and, in the upper section, big trout.

^^^ +1
Going way down on the Clarion might give you more SMB but I think the biggest fish would come from the Allegheny. Kinzua would offer a smorgasbord of warm water fish.

It’s been a few years, but I’ve floated the Allegheny from the Kinzua Dam to Warren, as well as wade fishing, and I agree with @krayfish2 about the smorgasbord of fish, including some large trout. I don‘t know about the likelihood of getting trout this time of the year though. That’s a very easy float, and not very long, but you can go farther down river from Warren if you wanted a longer float.

Appreciate the feedback. I looked into the Allegheny as well. Was a bit concerned with it being too big to manage for one weekend float but am intrigued with quality of fish and variety. May have to do some more research.

I sent someone up there who is a seasoned angler. Took one look at it and said "I'll pass. Too big and pretty intimidating flow."

The flow is short enough you can go through it twice in the same day. Just break the river into smaller sections and focus on the water that you're fishing. 👍

Here is a video of smallie fishing on the Sinnemahoning at Driftwood. It looks like a nice river to float. They also did some brookie fishing in the area.

we went up to float the sinnemahoning two weeks ago it was way too low for my canoe. we drove to Renovo and floated the west branch of the Susquehanna it was a easy float and decent smallmouth action nothing big but a lot of fun. A couple of nice accesses with parking also and a sinking line and sculpin patterns seemed to be the ticket.

Back