Smallies

That is my method, too.
i like to lift them up by the fly and violently shake them loose. They make a nice splash. ;)

I like to kick them off the back deck. Too much bending or, worse, kneeling with that in-water release.

Some more hero shots from Monday's trip...

434086703_967658418497659_1385689838208544946_n-COLLAGE.jpg

434064121_967658221831012_3017678717404305715_n-COLLAGE.jpg

If i recall from talking to you previously you are above Trenton someplace right? I gotta find some time to get up that way and fish. I havent fished the river for stripers in a LONG time. I'm only about 8 miles away from the Point Pleasant PA portion of the river but i've never had time to explore fishing down there since being in this area
I striper fish in the tidal waters below Trenton. I SMB/Walleye fish in the non tidal Lambertville/Point Pleasant/Bulls Island area where the SMB has been horrible for the last 7 years or so. However, that area fished better last year and I’m hoping this year continues to show improvement. We shall see.

I striper fish in the tidal waters below Trenton. I SMB/Walleye fish in the non tidal Lambertville/Point Pleasant/Bulls Island area where the SMB has been horrible for the last 7 years or so. However, that area fished better last year and I’m hoping this year continues to show improvement. We shall see.

I've heard that the fishing for smallies and eyes is pretty good up around Easton where the Lehigh and Delaware meet and further north from there up the Delaware

I've heard that the fishing for smallies and eyes is pretty good up around Easton where the Lehigh and Delaware meet and further north from there up the Delaware
I concentrate on Northampton County in the summer and used to fish Monroe a lot. A lot of smaller fish, but some surprises too.

I wish I had a jet or the desire to organize a float more because my experience with the Delaware was always that fishing was better the further from easy access you got. Been that way since the 80s even.

I wonder if that has been others' experiences too.

I concentrate on Northampton County in the summer and used to fish Monroe a lot. A lot of smaller fish, but some surprises too.

I wish I had a jet or the desire to organize a float more because my experience with the Delaware was always that fishing was better the further from easy access you got. Been that way since the 80s even.

the "further you walked the better it got" days are not quite so true anymore. imo.
i know the river in the section you speak of really well and used to have areas that i
knew how to wade to and most didn't. they always produced as they weren't pressured much.
then came kayaks and guys with multiple rods and little need to know how to wade...
that being said, last season showed promise as to the smallies bouncing back. hope
that continues this year.

My cousin is a chef at the Black Bass. How does that area fish? Is it easy to get out there. Fished it a long time ago. Caught some nice bass (largemouth I think) in the Canal and off the wing dam which were mostly pretty small smallies. Good time. Our cousin lived in near Doylestown and we would stop at Dave'e for bait.

Fishing is good and bad in the entire river depending on what your after. Been fishing it for 40 years and largely it’s been a great fishery. It has its ups and downs and recently has been down but last year was a positive for SMB. Shad run is consistent and so is the striper run. It’s the weather that had a detrimental effect last year. We had high unfishable water almost the entire spring. At least the days I had planned on going out.

I see people driving over fish to get to other fish all the time. My experience is you can catch fish anywhere on the river. I’ve caught them in amongst the great tube flotillas, at the ramps, where there are rope swings and where I didn’t think I’d catch anything. A jet boat helps a lot though to help in covering ground. The fish move throughout the day.
My cousin is a chef at the Black Bass. How does that area fish? Is it easy to get out there. Fished it a long time ago. Caught some nice bass (largemouth I think) in the Canal and off the wing dam which were mostly pretty small smallies. Good time. Our cousin lived in near Doylestown and we would stop at Dave'e for bait.
Great place to eat, sits right on the river at the walking bridge in Stockton/Lumberville. This area is best to fish from a boat. Bulls Island state park is on the NJ bank but that side of the river is very shallow and doesn’t hold a lot of fish. The deep water, 5’ to 12’ runs down long the PA bank. Shore access is pretty much not existent on the Pa side. Yes you can walk out on the wing dam but the dam was not exposed a lot last year. In fact I don’t recall seeing it at all last year. It pretty much has to be drought levels to walk out onto the Byran wing dam. I never found the wing dam area productive. I do enjoy driving through it though.

Back