small stream rods

Has anyone tried these?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0065012&navCount=1&parentId=cat20457&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat20457&parentType=index&indexId=cat20457&rid=

I think they replaced the Clear Creek series or the PT+ series.

I'm not sure why everyone fishes with short rods in small streams. Please feel free to beat me up about this. In Portugal where the cover is tight and streams are small and trout are spooky they fish with long rods. In tight cover I can't imagine big typical casts. A long rod and some flip casts with light dries or bow casts would seem to be more productive. A longer rod is also effective to poke between the bushes and flip your line out when your crawling around on your hands and knees on shore banks. I guess it falls under the casting video. You can cast all pretty or you can catch fish. Just a thought.

I don;t necessarily like to FISH short rods on small streams. It sure as hell is a lot easier for a klutz like me to get my rod thru the woods to that little stream in one piece though. Sometimes I wish that extra foot and a half or more of reach. Other times I can't imagine packing anything bigger.

I have to say that I fished a 9ft 5wt on several of the local waterways in my area. I recently switched to a 6'3" 3wt and can't be happier. I don't need distance casting and it works well for casting under the tight canopy. I can only imagine how beneficial it would be if I were "bushwacking". I'm sure one could get pretty skilled working a longer rod in a tight canopy, but I found that it was more of a pain than anything.

To each his own I suppose, but I like my shorter rod for these small streams...

I fish a 5'2" rod to a 7'6" for smal streams from 2wt to 5 wt. the longest cast i have to make is a 30 footer and the shortest is just the 5' leader. Short rods have their places just like long rods. Fish what is best for you in the situations...

I have been thinking about the short rod long rod debate for awhile now. First, my definition of a small stream is maybe 10 to 12 feet across, filled with boulders and deadfall, overhung with hemlock and mountain laurel. It is darn hard to navigate from hole to hole due to rocks, steep banks, greenbriars and tight underbrush. You may need a 10 foot cast about once every half hour or so.

For these conditions I put together a 6'6" 2 wt, thinking that the short length would help me navigate around the terrain and manuever underneath the laurel and hemlock and that the light weight would be perfect for the small brookies. All that turned out to be true, but I found out that I was having a tough time sneaking up on the holes and I had to get too close to be effective.

So now I have a 9'0" 3 wt blank that I am going to assemble with the idea that the nine feet will give me a good standoff distance and allow more stealth. I know it will be a pain to get around, but who cares if I catch more fish? I remember the old timers saying that they used 12 foot rods on this stream and I always thought that they could only do that before they cut the timber and the undergrowth wasn't so bad, but now I'm thinking they probably had the right idea all along.

My grandfather, the only flyfisherman (but not the only fisherman) other than me in the family, used to use the 11 and 12 foot rods on these streams. That was before my time. My dad tells me he was a "dipper", he'd just poke that rod over a brushpile and drop a fly in little nooks and crannys.

I'm sure that works in some cases. An above poster said 10-12 feet across, thats awfully big for the brookie streams I'm used to, maybe the biggest pools reach 10 feet but you can, in places, stand comfortably with a foot on each bank. I'm not a great small stream fisherman just yet, but I'm getting the hang of it. Typically overhead is a covering of hemlock or low tree limbs, with some small vegetation on high steep banks. I do backcast, roll cast, bow and arrow cast, and many casts that may or may not have a name that I know of on these streams. But many casts have to be sidearm. A short rod is a big advantage, in getting to the stream and casting once your on it. You want a rod as long as you can get away with, but not any longer. Unfortunately that length is different for every stream. I carry a 7'6" rod for most brookie streams. There's ones I wish I had a 5' rod, and others I'd wished I'd brought my 9 footer. But in all cases, I'm using fairly big flies and trying to get some punch, as long a cast as possible, with the backcast either carefully calculated or completely impossible. I think these 2 and 3 wts would be a huge disadvantage. I use a 4 wt overlined with 5 wt line. I wish I could find such a short rod in a 5 or 6 wt and overline it.

i had one built on a Sevier Tiger Eye blank - 6ft 2/3wt. i love it, it casts dries, nymphs and ants great. I wish i would have gotten the 6ft 4/5wt though. i like to cast bunny leeches on some of the streams where i use it and the 2/3 has problems with them larger than size 12.

For small streams in the 5'- 20' wide class i like my thomas and thomas LPS 7'-6" 2pc 3 weight. Great accuracy and delicacy though can reach out if you need it to. Great thing is that it makes a 6" fish fun to play though can turn the 16" fish when you need it to. I have an old Orvis silver label in the same size, length, and number of sections thats just a great rod too, a little less accurate, a lot whippier. Sad that Orvis doesn't make a good inexpensive 3wt any longer.

I'm not sure why everyone fishes with short rods in small streams. Please feel free to beat me up about this. In Portugal where the cover is tight and streams are small and trout are spooky they fish with long rods. In tight cover I can't imagine big typical casts. A long rod and some flip casts with light dries or bow casts would seem to be more productive. A longer rod is also effective to poke between the bushes and flip your line out when your crawling around on your hands and knees on shore banks. I guess it falls under the casting video. You can cast all pretty or you can catch fish. Just a thought.

I used to fish w/ 6' 4wt. Now I use a 6'6" 2wt. If I go to the right stream on the right day at the right time I've been able to land 20-30 wild brookies in a day w/o have to use an ungodly long rod. it's not the rod, it's getting into position and throwing you're line in the right spot. I've never had a problem with a short rod.

Back