Small stream rod and reel

hunter1

hunter1

I have an older Kunan fly rod, rods is like new. She's a 7'5" 4/5 wt rod.I plan on using her for small streams. As far as line recomendations
should I go with flaoting 4 wt or 5 wt. Reel , I settled on the Lamson liquid , or the Fly shops L2A.What say ye.Thanks. :)

Since you're talking about small stream, you're going to be making shorter casts, so I'd go with the 5 wt line to load the rod a bit better with less line out.

There's a whole thread on here about small stream reels. My own opinion is that it really doesn't matter very much.

Yeah, go with the heavier line weight. Some guys even overline their small stream rods given the short distance most casts are made at. Heavier weight line means more mass per unit of length of line. (Most fly rods are rated based on casting 30 feet of line. Most of the time on small streams you won't be making casts even half that long.)

The reel is simply a fancy line holding device on a small stream rod. #1 priority on a small stream setup is how well it balances the rod.

Thanks guys, I have a 5 wt line already.

Those reels seem like a lot for small stream fishing, to me.

A $30 or $40 Okuma would do fine ,or a vintage click and pawl.

Agree with above any reel would work another cheap option is an old scientific angler system 1 455 reel.

Reel I have and will use is an older Cortland fly reel , click and pawl. bought the reel years ago, and never used it. So, she just got drafted.

Back