small stream fly rod

i have 8 and 7.5 ft glass and 7 ft bamboo for small streams.they do the job fine.

the outsider wrote
Stagger_Lee wrote:
Just purchased TFO finese and ross reel ... all with lifetime warrentys

Per my thread in the gear sectii n a while back 7'6 was the way to go but they ok nly had a 7'9 in sstock. Felt good and with a discount they were running I only spent 25 more on the entire setup then I originally planned.

Did I make a mistake going 7'9? Rod felt good and they were really talking it ... what says u guys b4 the return date runs out?

I own a Finesse 7'-9" 3 weight and love it. Cast it. If it feels good, keep it. What line weight is the rod designed for?

Hey outsider .. how have you been? Still haven't forgotten that you were the 1st guy to take me (and jeff-Aducker) out on the H2O to teach me the basics on how streams flow, where to look for fish, etc tho I didn't fling one bug .. Hope all is well by you.

Rod is designed for 4 weight line. Spoke to the 2 sales men and spoke to them abt swattie's (and a few others) advice on upping it so I went up 1/2 lb all purpose trout line. Hope to take it out in the next week or 2 but it felt great when I tested it in the store.

Only thing that messed me up a lil is I really value the advice here. Wasn't sure abt the 3 extra inches (which didn't seem like much to me) and the advice on what action I should have when I decided I want to get a small stream rod for brokkie fishing. Guy told me it was abt medium.

It'll work fine. Like I said, my main one is a 7'6". There are times when I wish I'd brought something a little longer, and times when I wish I'd brought something a little shorter.

But it'd only be a "little" nicer. You can catch fish with about anything, anywhere. Those times when "I wish" are only wishing for a marginal improvement. And no one rod can cover it all perfectly. Over time, you pick up more rods to get marginally better options for a wider variety of situations, and it gets a little ridiculous, more of a hobby than a necessity. "

Do I want the 7'2" medium-fast that shades towards fast, or the 7'4" medium fast that shades towards medium? Aww, heck, the second one is probably a hair better for this stream, but that first one is soooo pretty and I haven't fished it in a while, it's lonely. :) lol.

7'9" is just fine as a base small stream rod. Stop worrying, use it, it's fine. In 10 years you'll have too many rods you don't need and they'll start getting feelings, but this one will still be very much in the rotation. And that's all you can ask for, a rod that won't lose it's usefulness.

pcray1231 wrote:
It'll work fine. Like I said, my main one is a 7'6". There are times when I wish I'd brought something a little longer, and times when I wish I'd brought something a little shorter.

yeah, after reading this thread i started with the idea of picking up a 6' 2wt to complement my 7' 4wt, and ended up thinking i probably would be better off upgrading my 5wt.

i just bought on clearance a 9' 5wt Redington CPX - $365 down to $170 :)

The subject of which fly rod for a small stream brings out a lot of "your mileage may vary" stuff... Different people like different lengths of fly rod, different line weights, different actions such as fast or slow fly rods. This is still true if you guys talking about even a very small stream say 15 ft wide with a low canopy of trees over it. Just need to get something and try it and then go from there

I echo k-bob's sentiments. I have 5 rods in the 4-5 wt range between 6 & 7 ft long. Some 'boo, some glass and some graphite. I'm either a collector or a hoarder! Some cost beaucoup $ and some were quite reasonably priced. Go with what works for the situation and feels good to you. Tight lines,

Dave :)

Back