small stream fly rod

Swattie87 wrote:
troutbert wrote:
What models can you recommend in the $100 range?

Redington Pursuit - I have the 8'0 4 wt, but I think there's a couple shorter 3 wt options. Redington calls it "fast" but I call it on the faster side of med/fast still. $100 for the 2 piecers, $120 for the 4 piece jobs.

That sounds pretty tempting. I currently use a 7 1/2 foot, 4 wt, but have been thinking an 8 foot, 4 wt might be just the thing.

k-bob, was just adding options to the list, that's all. I was aware of the echo, but you had already said it.

Yeah, I've casted the TQR too...it's an ok rod, but I would put it at the bottom of the rods being discussed in this thread. I found it didn't have much of a taper to it...started skinny in the butt section and stayed skinny (relative to its line weight rating). This may appeal to some, but I like a short stream rod with a more significant taper to it...in the Winter I like to dead drift small, weighted streamers and I think a rod with a thicker butt section handles this better, with little to no effect on its ability to cast dries well at short distances.

I didn't really like the cork insert and reel seat on the TQR either, but those aren't really deal breakers. The pro to the TQR IMO over some of the others is there's a lot of short rod options in several different line weights....not too many short 5 weights out there in most lineups.

troutbert - Redington rods are great for the price...I really like that LLBean Streamlight, but if you made me pick one brand to fish exclusively, it would be Redington.

I won that Allen ATS at the Jam, and I love it (graphite even!).

Swattie87 wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Redington Pursuit - I have the 8'0 4 wt, but I think there's a couple shorter 3 wt options. Redington calls it "fast" but I call it on the faster side of med/fast still.

Have you ever cast a Redington Wayfarer (an older model)?

And if so, can you compare the action with the Redington Pursuit?

I have a Redington Wayfarer, 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, and it is OK, but I would describe its action as medium, rather than fast. I'd prefer faster, more like a Loomis.

But for $100-$150, of course, rather than $700. :)

If anyone has a Loomis or similar rod that they think is too "fast" or too much like a "broomstick", maybe we can arrange a trade.

You have received a variety of suggestions. However, what others like may not fit your casting style, therefore I can't stress enough to go to a shop and cast some prospective rods to see which you like. Don't just go buy one without test driving it first. Myself, I use a Scott F2 665/3 fiberglass rod which, although pricey, is a beautiful, delicate small stream rod.

Echo makes a fast rod in the low end models, I have an 8 ft. 4 that cost $119.

pcray1231 wrote:
Fast action is an advantage.

Tight loops are needed for tight windows. Fast rods roll cast better too. Finesse and "soft" presentations aren't needed anyway, brookies aren't presentation shy.

Some like softer actions because you can feel the fight of a 6 incher better. But I don't go to the little streams for the fight!

Thanks. this thread has been really helpful everyone.

troutbert - I've never casted the Wayfarer, although I have casted the Classic Trout which was a more recent rod that Redington marketed as a "medium" action rod. The Pursuit is significantly faster than the Classic Trout, FWIW.

Swattie87 wrote:
troutbert - I've never casted the Wayfarer, although I have casted the Classic Trout which was a more recent rod that Redington marketed as a "medium" action rod. The Pursuit is significantly faster than the Classic Trout, FWIW.

Sounds good, I'll have to check out that Pursuit.

After hearing the great feedback, I think I'm going up to 8' rather than 7", fast action, 4 weight. The longer length will help with the delicate presentations I encounter.

No Helios II for the small stream? LOL

Funny you should say that. At one of the fly shows I was watching Joe Humphrey's do his ridiculous demos. Was talking about rods, saying he likes really fast actions, short and stout. He said the rod in his hands was a 7'6" 5 wt. I noticed it was a Helios. I happened to be looking around at the time and knew the Helios wasn't made in a 7'6" 5 wt! Not many rods are, and I might have been tempted if it were.

So after the demo I mentioned that and asked him where he got his. He smiled. Then said that he'd been after Orvis to offer heavier line weights in shorter rods. While they didn't offer it to the public, they did make him one!

I guess when you're Joe Humphreys the options open up a little, hehe.

yeah must be nice to have Orvis create a rod for you, or anyone for that matter. :)

Another thing is you can go with a little heavier line for short distance casting to help load the rod a bit more efficiently.

I would also endorse the echo carbon rod - especially at a marked down price of $125.
I have a larger one - in a 9'5 weight - and was quite impressed with it's quality and rather modest price

Just purchased TFO finese and ross reel ... all with lifetime warrentys

Per my thread in the gear sectii n a while back 7'6 was the way to go but they ok nly had a 7'9 in sstock. Felt good and with a discount they were running I only spent 25 more on the entire setup then I originally planned.

Did I make a mistake going 7'9? Rod felt good and they were really talking it ... what says u guys b4 the return date runs out?

What does it matter what we say? If you like it and it casts well, then it is good, no?

quote]
Stagger_Lee wrote:
Just purchased TFO finese and ross reel ... all with lifetime warrentys

Per my thread in the gear sectii n a while back 7'6 was the way to go but they ok nly had a 7'9 in sstock. Felt good and with a discount they were running I only spent 25 more on the entire setup then I originally planned.

Did I make a mistake going 7'9? Rod felt good and they were really talking it ... what says u guys b4 the return date runs out?[/quote]

I own a Finesse 7'-9" 3 weight and love it. Cast it. If it feels good, keep it. What line weight is the rod designed for?

Becks ...I usually only discuss size with my wife BUT what Im asking u guys abt is 7'6 - 7'9 for small seams

For me it didnt seem like a big deal but wwtf do I know. ;-)

Back