small stream fly rod

F

foxfire

What are the advantages of a premium rod versus a lower cost fly rod which will be used for very small streams/brooks? I'm looking for a 3 or 4 weight rod 7' 6" or less to use on tiny streams where casting is not an issue?

I have a 7'9" 2 weight loomis IMX rod that I use on small streams, It would be considered a premium rod and it is quite nice. But I bought it about 20 years ago now, and got it rather cheaply on closeout.
That said, I don't think I would spend big bucks on a small stream rod now. I hike into some very, tight brushy areas - where a lot of roll casting and even just plain dapping the fly is often required. And I sometimes have fallen during these forays into the big woods - something you don't really want to do with an expensive rod for sure.
So, yeah I would recommend a cheaper rod for this kind of fishing

A cheap fast action rod is best for this kind of fishing. I fish a 7.5' 4/5 weight that cost me $45 and lined it with a 5 weight line. It does the job perfectly. As far as line weight goes there are two schools of thought. Lighter line weight like a 2 or 3 weight for delicate presentation is one way to go. The other option is a 5 or 6 weight to load the rod with minimal line out of the tip. I think the heavier line weights are better for brookie fishing because brookies are not as picky about presentation and the heavier lines will turn over the fly with minimal line out of the tip.

Dont know what your budget is. But Skip at Mile creek custom rods makes great small stream rods. I picked up a Batson Rx7 blank with PacBay titanium single foot guides, Ebony wood reel seat and halfwell cork, 6'6" 3wt. I consider it one of the best rods I own. I little pricey for a brookie rod, but when you need to cast, which is more often then not for me on small brook steams. It will throw line well over 40' and lay down tiny dries nicely.

Thanks for feedback. I do tend to venture into rough terrain and have fallen/tripped numerous times. I think cheaper is the way for me though I do have an appetite for the finer gear.

I have a very inexpensive small stream rod. Rarely do you need to cast more then 10-15' so the perfect casting rod is not needed. I would however suggest over lining by a wt. Rods are made to cast 30' I can't remember a time when I cast my 7'-6" rod that far.

I got a three forks 7'-6" 3wt for $50. Great rod for the money.

Yeah, I go cheap on small stream rods too. Too dangerous regarding breakage when walking through thick stuff, slips and falls, etc.

Fast action is an advantage. There was a time when the premium rods tended to be faster. I think those days are gone, you can get slow or fast cheap or expensive.

Fast action is an advantage.

can you explain why ? - i'm looking for a small stream rod too and was looking at moderate or full flex rods...

I don't worry about it, my small stream rod is a loomis that cost $450, I fall 2 or 3 times a year and nothing bad has happened. It is guarenteed. I don't over line it, there is no need to, it'll shoot 60 feet of line under tree roots if I need it to. It'll also drop a fly under overhanging branches pretty well.

geebee wrote:

can you explain why ? - i'm looking for a small stream rod too and was looking at moderate or full flex rods...
IMO a fast action is better because you can throw very tight loops which helps when you must cast under tree limbs etc. and into tight spots. I have used both fast and slow action flyrods and though both will work OK I prefer a faster action. You will have to decide which you like better.

Chaz wrote:
I don't worry about it, my small stream rod is a loomis that cost $450, I fall 2 or 3 times a year and nothing bad has happened. It is guarenteed. I don't over line it, there is no need to, it'll shoot 60 feet of line under tree roots if I need it to. It'll also drop a fly under overhanging branches pretty well.
I agree Chaz, one of my favorite rods for small streams is a rather expensive Sage TXL 7' 4 weight. I have taken a couple of spills fishing brushy freestoners but none where I have had to worry about breaking my rod. I like the way the rod handles and just enjoy fishing it. If it breaks I will just have to get it fixed.

Tight loops are needed for tight windows. Fast rods roll cast better too. Finesse and "soft" presentations aren't needed anyway, brookies aren't presentation shy.

Some like softer actions because you can feel the fight of a 6 incher better. But I don't go to the little streams for the fight!

I agree with the consensus that cheap is probably the way to go for small stream rods. Both of mine were in the $100 range.

Rod action is a personal preference thing...for small streams I like a med/fast, probably slightly on the faster end.

No Helios II for the small stream? LOL

Swattie87 wrote:
I agree with the consensus that cheap is probably the way to go for small stream rods. Both of mine were in the $100 range.

Rod action is a personal preference thing...for small streams I like a med/fast, probably slightly on the faster end.

I also prefer small stream rods on the faster end. What models can you recommend in the $100 range?

BTW, to the original poster, I recommend getting a 7 1/2 ft or 7' 9" rod for a 4 wt line, rather than something shorter or lighter.

Any stream that is open enough to walk up, you can fish with a 7 1/2 foot rod, once you learn some small stream casting techniques.

troutbert wrote:
Swattie87 wrote:

I also prefer small stream rods on the faster end. What models can you recommend in the $100 range?

BTW, to the original poster, I recommend getting a 7 1/2 ft or 7' 9" rod for a 4 wt line, rather than something shorter or lighter.

Any stream that is open enough to walk up, you can fish with a 7 1/2 foot rod, once you learn some small stream casting techniques.

+1 on rod choice

troutbert wrote:
What models can you recommend in the $100 range?

LLBean Streamlight Ultra - It's a med/fast probably by definition, but is my favorite rod, from a fun to fish perspective. Comes in many small stream friendly configurations...I have the 6'11 4 wt. $100

Redington Pursuit - I have the 8'0 4 wt, but I think there's a couple shorter 3 wt options. Redington calls it "fast" but I call it on the faster side of med/fast still. $100 for the 2 piecers, $120 for the 4 piece jobs.

There are some closeouts on 7 foot 3 inch echo carbon two weights, about 125 and a great small stream rod overlined with a 3 weight line.

... There are also close out discounts and deals on the 7 foot 6 echo carbon 3 weight fly rod. It is very high quality, made an a4 piece build, will cast anything up to a 5 weight line like you would not believe

What models can you recommend in the $100 range?

I use a Cortland GRX. 7 1/2 ft, 4/5 wt. Went right around $100. Don't think they make it anymore, but I'm sure you can find it on ebay and the like.

I toyed with replacing it recently, and test casted a TFO "Lefty Kreh Professional Series" 7'6" 5 wt. Very fast, almost broomstickish IMO (which I like). MSRP is around $150, but you can find it cheaper. I think it was $100ish at the fly show last year.

I've not casted myself, but I've heard good things about the Cabela's TQR. It's $110ish I think. They sell 3, 4, and 5 wts in the 7'6" length. You can get a 5 wt as short at 6', which is rare.

Pat I have had a bunch of Cabelas TQRs and a bunch of Echo carbons.... Echos used to be 180 dollars but now there are close outs 125 and at those prices I would go echo well before I would get another TQR.

Back