Small Mouth Bass Rig

G

Glenny

coing to Codorus Creek up by Codorus furnace Rd this coming Sunday to try for small mouth bass.

Going to use Streamers but was wondering if I should use a sinking tip attached to fly line then a 4x leader tied to streamer and add weight as needed.

or

leave the sinking tip off all together?

What is the best rig for this type of fishing?

Any advice appreciated
Thanks Glen

I would try it first without a sink tip. Use Some streamers with some weight built in. Clousers with dumbell eyes, bead or cone head buggers for example. Also,I would use with at at least a 3X or 2X tippet.

Thanks I will give that a try.
Have a great weekend

Bob Clouser’s book on flyfishing for smallmouth would give you everything you would need to know. I have some leader formulas for smallmouth if you build your own leaders and want them. I believe they are in his book too. His son Bobby runs the fly shop at Bass Pro in Harrisburg and is an excellent resource.

Glenny wrote:
coing to Codorus Creek up by Codorus furnace Rd this coming Sunday to try for small mouth bass.

Going to use Streamers but was wondering if I should use a sinking tip attached to fly line then a 4x leader tied to streamer and add weight as needed.

No, you don't need a sink tip for a stream this size in summer. A sink tip is a useful tool for river bassin if you are throwing streamers in big water and current and need to get down fast. However, for summer bass fishing even on big rivers, I rarely use anything but a floating line and for smaller creeks that is all you need year round.

Yes, you can add weight as needed. I recommend going stronger than 4X. For most of my bass fishing, even streamers in clear water, I prefer 1X or 0X (about 11 to 13lb test line).

fritz wrote:
Bob Clouser’s book on flyfishing for smallmouth would give you everything you would need to know.

This is good advice.

I'm a year round smallmouth guy with a lot of experience. Floating line ia definitely what you want to use 99% of the time. The only time I use a sink tip, and it is only sometimes, is winter. 4x leader can work but I'm with Dave, I generally use a 0x Rio and then add tippet as needed. I can stretch one leader for a LONG TIME. Plus having 0x helps when a walleye or muskellunge may grab your fly. I've never fished the codorus but I guarantee the floating line will get the job done. If you need to get deeper add weight and lengthen your leader.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. will have to pick up some 3X leaders and weighted streamers and buggers.

3x is still very light my friend. You are going to find yourself snagged on rocks and grass very often and you will be able to pull your fly free without loosing it with a heavier leader. Bass are not line shy.

I would recommend you grab a pack of scientific anglers 15 or 17 lb bass leaders. I use this in combination with 10lb or 15lb mono and have no issues. I'm with Jfigz, I'm on 2 seasons with the same leader at this point.

Yeah, I agree with these more experienced smallmouth guys. I just checked my leaders and the lightest I ever used or have a formula for is 2X. Most are 0 and 1X. I've been out of this game for longer than I should have been.

Went to Backwater Fly Shop in Parkton MD on my way home from work. They hooked me up with some 8lb bass leaders and some weighted streamers and buggers.

The 8lb bass leader might still be a little light but should do.

Thanks for the advice looking forward to Sunday morning

Don't waste your money on leaders and tippet material for bass. Just buy some small spools of 8 to 20lb mono and tie them together yourself. You can just use a straight piece of mono if you want. Don't overthink it, you'll only make it more far more difficult then it needs to be.

Got out about 630 on Sunday and the weather was beautiful an cool. Fished for 1.5 hours and only caught one nice smallmouth about 15" but it was still worth the trip minus cell phone getting wet and ruined. It was time to upgrade anyway. thanks for all the advice.

glen

Back