slate run tackle shop for sale

C

cdogedoger

In the process of finding a cabin in nc pa, I came across the ad for the slate run tackle shop. they are asking 1.6 million.
just thought i would throw it out there.

Dear cdog,

I guess they figure they might as well get while the getting is good? In another year or two no one will want to be there anymore anyway, perhaps they figure some millionaire Dr. from DC with a taste for the sporting life will buy it?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
Why do you say no one will want to be there soon anyway? I've never fished it, does it suck that bad?

fly_flinger wrote:
Tim,
Why do you say no one will want to be there soon anyway? I've never fished it, does it suck that bad?

Dear fly_flinger,

No, actually the fishing can be quite good. In addition to Pine Creek there are Slate and Cedar Run to fish in the Valley. Throw in the all the unstocked streams and include the fact that Young Womans and Kettle Creek are only about 35 to 45 minutes away from the Village of Slate Run and you have some great fishing to go with the great scenery.

My comments refer to the fact that a place that billed itself as "the last best place" is becoming the playground of the rich and famous. It's getting to the point where the pick-up trucks on the road are solidly outnumbered by the BMW's, Mercedes, and Lexi. Cabins that are worth $ 30,000 or $ 40,000 are selling for $ 200,000 to $ 300,000 as people with money find a new place to spend it far from their crowded hometowns.

The changes are depressing to someone like myself who has been going up there for 20 years. People who have been going there for 30 or 40 years must be suicidal over how things have changed.

Regards,

I tell you, Tom at Slate Run is a great guy. He has replaced wading shoes that came ungluded three times, once with an upgrade at no cost because he didn't have the orginal in stock. I have purchased rods and reels over the phone and asked what I owed so I could send a check. He said "I'll bill you, send it when the rod or reel arrives." This to a guy he sees once a year, sometimes with a year or two inbetween. I have not been up since Hotel Manor burned, but used to stay there when Jim & Alice owned it every spring. One year Leo & I arrived and they had lost our reservations and were going to be closed for a week as Jim visted his mother. Instead of putting us out, they gave us the key and the run of the place, no charge. Great people, don't find many like them any more.

Dan

TimMurphy wrote:
Cabins that are worth $ 30,000 or $ 40,000 are selling for $ 200,000 to $ 300,000 as people with money find a new place to spend it far from their crowded hometowns

Big problem there, Tim, is that if they are buying...someone must be selling. Too bad the former land owners didn't have enough love for the area to not be bought. I guess everyone has their price. Does suck though. Kinda makes e wonder where ALL those people get their money.

Tim: I feel your pain, sounds like Spruce Creek, hey those money guys have to do something with their tax cuts. I am surprised that Spring Ridge hasn't made a move on quality streams in the Harrisburg area

Dear Little J and Tom,

Just to make things clear I don't begrudge people who have the means to purchase the properties for doing so, nor do I blame the people who are selling. Things do change, and people who can no longer use their camp have the right to dispose of it, likewise people have the right to buy those camps.

My biggest concern stems from what I have witnessed in other areas of the State as land has changed hands. For as long as I have been going to the Pine Creek Valley the landowners have been very gracious in allowing people to fish along the creek, but some recent events lead me to believe that there may be a change coming.

Just this past year I have seen posted signs popping up here and there and I have seen far two many places in the State go from private and open to private and closed to make me think that absentee landowners will continue to allow access.

I don't mean to sound like Chicken Little and I sincerely hope that I am wrong in how I see things. I suppose time will tell?

Regards,

Tom and Deb are very nice people, they've worked very hard over the years building up the business, so I hope they find a buyer and enjoy their retirement.

That place is pretty busy, so the numbers may justify it. If the high end people are moving in, that makes the business even more desirable.

The valley is changing, but there are still a lot of little backcountry streams in the area that don't see much traffic.

http://www.toccoariverrealestate.com/ Stuff like this is all over the internet, small wonder that landowners who have quality trout water are taking notice, can you blame them? My biggest complaint is that in the past and today, landowners who receive gigantic taxpayer subsdies are permitted to close their land and streams, that is just flatout WRONG http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-fp&p=fly%20fishing%20real%20estate

I was interested in this topic and did a little demographic research on who owns second homes. Here is what I found.

More than half (51 percent) of second-home owners graduated from college, compared with a third (34 percent) of single-home owners. One in five second-home owners (17 percent) earned an advanced degree. Their annual income averages $83,600, versus less than $43,800 a year for those who own just one home. The average age of a second home owner is 52 years.

I was actually suprised that the average income level was so low at 83k. If you consider that the median income for a family of 4 in PA is 68,578. It is really not that far fetched that you are going to see more people buying second homes.

I also checked out the demographics for Fly Fishermen and found the following from flyfisherman magazine
Demographics:
42 Average Age
12. 8 Years spent Fly-Fishing
$94,452 Average Household Income
81% Took some action as a result of their visit
59% Tie Flies
Spent $2, 298 on Fly- Fishing Trips
Spent $1,263 on Fly- Fishing Gear

So in a nut shell that's who is buying.

Not that any of this means anything.

http://www.vernonjacobs.com/vacation-home.htm this sure helps

I talked to Tom about it, but I can't afford the place. Wish I could, it is 1 of only a few places to get any food in the valley. I would be a great place to live. He had it for sale once before or was thinking about it, then moving to MT, but decided not to sell.

Well, I certainly wish Tom and Deb well. They were always good to me and as friendly as the day was long. Jeez, I remember them when they were pretty young and just a year or two into it and that place was just a tiny little thing with a postal window, a pop cooler, a rod and waders display and a gas pump.

I'm starting to feel older than Ernie Schweibert and that ain't good because he suffered a sudden halt in the aging process...:)

I have to say I'm really disappointed to hear this:

>My biggest concern stems from what I have witnessed in other areas of the State as land has changed hands. For as long as I have been going to the Pine Creek Valley the landowners have been very gracious in allowing people to fish along the creek, but some recent events lead me to believe that there may be a change coming.

Just this past year I have seen posted signs popping up here and there and I have seen far two many places in the State go from private and open to private and closed to make me think that absentee landowners will continue to allow access.>

But I can't say I'm surprised. .

When we left for the Midwest in early 2000, this stuff had come about as far east as the Loyalsock drainage. I was hoping it would tank there and come no farther, but I knew it was a false hope. I knew that the clock was ticking on the greater Lycoming/Tioga region and that the tenacles of the great tumor on the coast that stretches from Norfolk to Boston were reaching out to swallow the places I love. Now, I know that's not the source of all of it, but it is the major impetus. Gentrification has come to God's Country.

We always loosely planned to come back east after Petunia retires (in 6 or 7 years or so), but I've been kinda watching this process for the past few years and I just don't know if it will be the best move for my interests by the time we're ready. And it won't be if by then, the virus is lapping at Port Allegany.

Anybody here who knows me well has to know how this dismays me. I love the fishing where I am, but it isn't home. And now, it looks increasingly likely that by the time i am ready to come home, home won't be home either.

40 years ago, we should have sawed everything east of the Delaware off the continent and let it drift over and become part of Ireland....:)

Too late now, though...

Madison or the Ozarks are looking better and better.

Dear Board,

I feel compelled to add that I hope no one thinks I meant anything against Tom and Deb with my comments? Like others have said they have always been top-notch. If they can sell the business they worked hard to build and retire comfortably then I wish them all the best.

For those of you who haven't visited the Pine Creek Valley get up there soon. Stop at the Slate Run Store and get yourselves one of the "Eye-talian" sandwiches they serve, make sure to load it up with hot peppers and oil and vinegar too. Just make sure you do it before it's to late and Rte 414 becomes the entrance-way to a gated community. :-D

Regards,

What Tim said!

Boyer

I also hope that Tco doesn't buy it. The last thing we need is a Franchise of Fly Shops taking over Pa. Just my 2 cents

I agree that Tim has hit the nail on the head. What, or who, is TCO?

I don't think it has anyting to do with love for the place, people do sell there homes and move on, it is the nature of our society.

Back