Simms waders failed seemingly overnight

All waders leak, even Simms. I would not think storing wet for a day would cause anything more than a slight stink at most. I believe pulling waders off puts more leaks in waders than foliage.

I also often wonder how much stress is put on seams, especially in the bootee area from turning waders inside & right-side out all the time...

For that reason I don't do it anymore. I just hang them up so they are completely open at the top and hanging all the way down.

With HARD use, I give all boot foot waders I’ve used to the ends of their serviceable lives three years based upon my work experience and barring any catastrophic failure associated with an unusual event like a major tear on barbed wire. The first year is glorious after having come off of a third year of patching leaks right and left. The second year has a few easily manageable leaks, such as a few pin holes. The third year seems as though it will be like year two in the beginning, but soon enough all H breaks loose and lots of time is spent on repairs. The leaks almost never involve the boot foot portion unless one steps on a nail or some other sharp object, or trips over barbed wire on the creek bottom. Punctures of the sole are pretty easily repaired; actual boot tears in the foot area are not.

Now that I’m not working and only fishing, so far I have gotten 5 yrs out of the same brand and type of boot foot waders that I was wearing for work and have only suffered perhaps 5 pin hole leaks. Soles are getting pretty worn from walking. At the time I paid about $85-$90 for those boots.

Last edited:
With all the information online I’m sure I can find many good techniques to test for leaks and repair. One I’m aware of is blowing air in them with a shop vac and an air tight seal. Then spray soapy water all over them and look for bubbles.

I just wasn’t sure if I made a big mistake by storing them in a wet tub for some time with no chance to dry. Again it just seems odd that they went from completely dry to leaking in multiple spots. I looked them over dry and see no punctures or tears or seams coming apart.

If I send them out to Simms I will report back on how that went.
I have taken advantage of that Simms warranty for many years. Turn around time will be slow at the height of the season, but they do a thorough job. They may re-tape the entire pair not just fix pin holes. I have gotten them back with new buckles, even. Good luck!

I also think the week of hard fishing had more to do with it than the bucket, btw. Sounds like pin holes from brush not seams leaking.

It also looks macho on YouTube to kneel in waders, but that machoness will cost you with pin holes :)

Ever since Simms was bought out by... I forget the investment groups name, everyone had a hunch the quality would tank and sure enough, it has.

I have a pair of G4 Boots which the soles are coming off of and the left boot is starting to delaminate on the top. The lace locks are garbage as well. They never performed since day 1. The boots are a year old.

I also have a pair of G3 waist highs which failed a week after I got them. Bootie seam failure. I sent them back and was told I stored them improperly, warranty voided. That was the last item I purchased from Simms, probably ever.

I do have a pair of G3 chest highs I bought from blue ribbon flies in 2014 when my Frogg Toggs blew out. That pair of waders will probably last for a number of years.

I hear nightmare stories all the time about new Simms stuff.

I now have a pair of Patagonia Swiftcurrent chest highs which are extremely nice waders, my only gripe is that they are not for the warmer months -

I'd send them back, 100%

I got a pair of g3 waders in 2008 or 2009. They are falling apart but still don't leak!! I have a pair of 2nd Gen g3 waders when they were closing out that model which might have been 2015-ish. They are still in the plastic they left the factory in. Thought my original pair would last 3-5 years and they just won't die even though they smell like they died 🤣

Reactions: CRB
Those early Simms waders wore like Iron. I have sent waders back in the past don't know about the present company. If you do send them back, post how you faired.

Back