Simms Wader Thoughts? (Freestone & Headwaters Pro)

G

gibsygoldtop

I like the Freestones and I like the Headwaters Pro. From what I am reading they are both great waders and I probably wouldn't go wrong with either. Worth the extra to get the Headwaters?

Anyone use either of these two specific waders?

Saw this on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acBnPssvpc

May wish to try Patagucci's

I had a pair of Freestones, within two months they had sprung a huge leak in the crotch. I called Simms and they told me the Freestones are not made in Bozeman but off shore someplace. I sent them back and they told me "they are unrepairable". They suggested the Headwaters which are made in Bozeman and come in two bootie sizes; 9 - 11 & 11- 13. I have large feet and the Freestones were very hard to get off because they were 9 - 11.

Because I had already paid for the Freestones Simms offered me the 11- 13 Headwater for a significant discount. That was two years ago and I fish at least 100 days a year and they are still leak free.

I've had a pair of freestone waist high for 5 years with no problems.

I have the freestones and have no issues with them except I lost the belt. Only one belt loop in the back.

I really like them. Most of the time I fold the down and tuck them in side and use them as waist highs and use my simms waist pack to hold them up.

They are in the second year. and I bought them from Trident, a site sponsor. Got express shipping for regular price.

I had the freestones for 2 years no complaints, then decided to buy the g3 guide stocking foot and sent them back after a few months with a leak in the left calf. They are repairing them, but seriously not happy being the price you pay for them . I know things happen, but also know a guide who recently sent his back after a few months.

I have the freestones and think they are awesome. Very light and comfy and a great warm weather wader. Got them because they were easily packed with a pair of wading boots in a big back pack with two rods attached on the sides...great if you are getting on a plane. Durability is still unknown as I've only worn them a handful of times the past year but so far so good. I do agree with a previous poster about the one belt loop...having 2 loops would be a nice improvement on the next iteration. Also have the G3s and you can tell the G3s are a much more substantial wader. Much heavier and warmer than the freestones. In fact, too much wader for the fishing I do (little to no bushwhacking). Going forward my next wader I will probably end up getting the headwaters as my regular wader and keep freestones for when I need to take em on a plane.

I personally would go with the Headwaters if choosing between the two. If you are going to buy Simms, you might as well get ones that are made right here in the USA.

i wouldn't buy simms waders lower than g3

WHEN (not if) you waders leak you want a company that will stand behind their product... then patagonia is the obvious choice

I have the headwaters pro great wader for the price in my opinion.

Just a plug for the Orvis Silver Sonic Convertible waders if you aren't committed to Simms. Less than $300, have used for 3 seasons and not as much a drop of a leak. Very nice in the summer when the streams are low and you want that option.

I had the Simms freestones and switched to these after a year. freestones were just to bulky if a fabric for me and the bootfoot was a lot tighter than other waders I've tried and/or used.

Bulky fabric = more durable, less comfortable. Personal choice, and can't fault you for yours.

But the booties. We're the booties too tight, or were your shoes too tight over the booties?

If booties too tight, easy solution. Get a larger size. If you order from simms, you can name the bootie size.

If shoes too tight, yes, simms has thicker booties than many wader manufacturers, and this may require a larger wading boot size. On one hand it's mute durable. On the other, it makes it tough if you have existing wading boots and switch to Simms. Or if you want to rotate different brands of waders in the same boots.

If you're going to get Simms, definitely get the Headwaters, because Simms has always made a good product domestically. They aren't as good on their warranty as they used to be, as I learned a few years back. Since then, I've gone with Patagonia, and to be frank, they make at least as good if not better product. And they have an iron-clad warranty, which, when you're dropping $300+, ain't a bad thing to have. I'd check around and see if you can't find last year's Patagonia waders on the cheap somewhere.

Thanks for the replies! Still trying to decide...

I agree with the other guys. Just spend the extra loot(if you can) on the G3s. My first pair lasted probably about 6 years. Until they leaked from pinholes and a tear in the upper part. I patched those and use them as a backup pair to my new g3s. Lots of streams are lined with the thorn bushes and knotweed and the thicker legs on the g3s dont take any **** from them.

Kev

I've beaten the hell out of the headwaters no leaks and I fish atleast 3-4 days a week in the spring and summer and fall and 2-3 days a week in the winter and I walk, hike every trip not a park and take 2 steps out of the car to the water.

I had a pair of Headwaters. They quickly leaked. I tried several things to find/fix the lead. No luck. I sent them back to Simms. I thought they'd replace/properly repair them. Instead, for my troubles they offered me a Simms logo hat or T-shirt. I did not want either. I wasn't going to promote with a hat or T- a company that did not back its product. A truly bad experience!

I would recommend that you purchase waders from another company, even though you'll be supporting non-American workers.

I do not plan ever to purchase another Simms product.

Caveat emptor!

Yeah, if you can stretch and get the G3s, get them. They've always been strong. But, as I (and others) have said, Simms' customer service and warranty is just lacking anymore. With Patagonia, I don't know that the waders are made in the US, but they are pretty ethical in their sourcing and labor, and they put a lot of money back into the outdoor economy and into defending wild places, which is karmically positive.

Also, I know a number of folks with the Orvis Silver Sonic waders, and I haven't heard the first complaint. And Orvis still has a strong warranty and stands by their gear. So I'd really consider Orvis or Patagonia when I think about it.

Thanks again for the replies, I picked up the G3's today.

I wanted to support the local shop and they don't have Patagonia, they have Orvis but not the right fit.

Back