Sighter section in leaders.

Ryno17

Ryno17

Hey Folks, I'm looking for some guidance from those of you who nymph without an indicator and incorporate a sighter into your leaders. I've done much reading and youtube viewing but one detail eludes me. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the role the sighter section of the leader plays or at least how you guys make it work for you. From what I can understand the obvious answer is to make it easier to locate your leader in the water and to signal a strike. I think I understand that. Where I'm confused is… Is the sighter what I should always be watching to signal a strike ? This seems practical when the sighter section is at the correct level to the water to do so but what about when it isn't ? In other words, if I'm fishing a shallow section of water and my sighter is, say 16" above the water's surface, should I watch the clear part of the leader to signal a strike ? Conversely, what if it's deeper water ? I've read that the proper setup is to construct a leader that will work in "the average depth of the stream you're fishing" but we all know there's no cover-all in most situations. I guess I could adjust the tippet as I would weight as I do when using an indicator but this seems slightly impractical. I hope I explained my confusion clearly and thanks for taking the time to read and for any advice you have to offer.

The amount of the sighter that is above, or under the water, doesn't matter. Adjust your weight so your nymphs are rolling the bottom, lead your flies (pull them slightly faster than the current to keep slack out of your line), you will see your sighter jerk/pause, feel the hit or get the 6th sense of fish and set your hook.

Don't overthink it. Just get on the water see what works for you, good luck.

I have used 2 sighters before. One at about 3 feet from the flies and another at about 6 feet to cover more depths and speeds of water.

I have even tied florescent backing at various places along my leader.

But yes, stare at the indicator no matter where it's at. Usually if your only fishing depth of 16"or so you are close enough to see/feel what's going on.

I'm not huge on nymphing but I do when I have to.
I was taught by a really good fisherman. I use furled leaders and put a small dot of loon putty about every 8 inches for about 3 ft. The dot is about the size of a BB. It adheres good to the furled portion of the leader. The tippet remains clear of putty. I alternate colors between yellow and orange. The putty doesn't suspend the nymph but it does give it teeny bit of floatation easily overcome by split shot if needed. I can see any take very easily.
When its time to go dry again I just strip off the putty and add some new tippet.

Ryno17 wrote:
Where I'm confused is… Is the sighter what I should always be watching to signal a strike ?
Yes, but.......
I use a thicker amnesia, and contrary to what the name says, it actually has some memory to it. This leaves a slight (and I do mean slight) coil in the line as you are leading your fly and line with the tip of your rod it will take out some but not all of the coil. The rest of the coil you can use as your indicator, when it starts to straighten set the hook.
After a while you will be setting the hook on fish and not even seeing the line move. It is like a sixth sense. With a good rod you can also feel almost everything as you lead your fly through the current. This is a very, very deadly way to fish.

Ryno17 wrote:
I guess I could adjust the tippet as I would weight as I do when using an indicator but this seems slightly impractical.

Leave it longer than you think and if you have to, yes adjust. It won't happen as often as you think and in most situations it will work to just leave it one length and allow your sighter to go under water in deeper water. Again you should be able to feel the strikes also.

It won't take that long and you will be catching more fish then you ever thought possible.

For sighting I use hollow fluorescent plastic lacing you can find in craft stores. I usually cut two short sections from it (1/2 inch ea.) and slide it up the leader until it slides on the knot between leader and fly line. The knot keeps it in place. Then the other piece slides up and secures on the knot at the end of my short (8 in ?) line I have coming from the fly line (with a loop for changing leaders). Those two pieces show up well whether floating on the water or when somewhat submerged. I leave it on all the time, even for dry fly fishing.

Attachments

• lacing.jpg
    lacing.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 6
JF- looks good I'll have to try it.

Used the amnesia before and the bicolor strike indicators from here when I want to be lazy which is often. bicolor leader

JF_ wrote:
For sighting I use hollow fluorescent plastic lacing you can find in craft stores. I usually cut two short sections from it (1/2 inch ea.) and slide it up the leader until it slides on the knot between leader and fly line. The knot keeps it in place. Then the other piece slides up and secures on the knot at the end of my short (8 in ?) line I have coming from the fly line (with a loop for changing leaders). Those two pieces show up well whether floating on the water or when somewhat submerged. I leave it on all the time, even for dry fly fishing.

You might not have to buy anything at all. An old trick is to cut a small section of an old fly line (a bright colored one) you probably have in your drawer somewhere. Use pliers to remove the core, and you have a bright colored hollow tube that floats.

Since there is a taper to the fly line, you can cut a section with the correct diameter that fits snug over the knot. Slip a couple on your leader at the knots as directed above.

As TP posted above, I too use a pinch of Strike Putty on the knots for visibility. I like it because I can reposition it easily or remove it when changing over to dry fly fishing.

I just attach a small bell to my leader. When I hear it ring I know I have a hit!

I agree that a little pinch of strike putty is all you need. If it goes below the surface you can still see it and detect strikes. No need to over complicate a simple task IMO.

CLSports wrote:
No need to over complicate a simple task IMO.

I think you are forgetting what board you are posting on.

But yeah, the putty works like a charm, is widely available in fly shops, is inexpensive, and a container lasts a long, long time.

One other product that is available and works exactly like it is supposed to is Rio's Kahuna indicator line. It is a section of very fat fly line on a heavy mono core. it slides off the core easy, is positively buoyant, and easy to slide onto your tippet/leader. No need to struggle with peeling apart regular fly lines or using craft store stuff that might not float at all. It is a little harder to find however.

Kev

My sighter is 3 different colors and is close to 6ft in length. I always have sighter in the correct position. Now, all you are using it for is to pick up your leader and know where your flies are in the water column.

SBecker..is your 6ft "sighter line" a home made set up or a commercially available product?

Home made.

My sighter is usually the #14 tan elk hair caddis with 18 inch flouro dropper to a #18 Sawyer pheasant tail. Has been successful in every stream I've fished in Colorado, Wyoming, Yellowstone Park, Vermont, New Hampshire, and PA. Manage the drift of the dry fly, learn to spot fish before getting into the stream before fishing blindly. Or use any of the methods above!

What about just having a leader dedicated to nymphing and painting your leader a bright color where you would want to put your sighter?

Check out the blog: troutbitten Nov.5 2014. It shows how to tie barrel knots with Fluor backing. I have used this method this year and am very happy with it. I put 6 barrels on the section of my leader that I would normally put a sighter. The great thing about the barrel system is that the barrels slide up and down the leader easily. You can slide the barrels together or space them out as you see fit. I make my barrels without the tag end as shown in the blog. The system does not add weight and you can add or subtract barrels with ease. Let me know how it works for you if you try it.

Back