Shuttling on the upper Juniata River

Wetfly01

Wetfly01

For all you smallmouth guys that float the Upper Juniata (Petersburg to Lewistown) especially the anglers that are floating with drift boats and rafts. I am curious, how do you guys shuttle your vehicle and trailer from point A to point B. I understand if you have two vehicles its pretty simple. But, if you only have one vehicle its definitely a problem when you reach the take out point. Is there a shuttle services in the area that you all use? If so who do you use? And are there shuttle services for on the Lower Juniata Lewistown to Duncannon as well?

There are no such company located anywhere on or near the upper Juniata offering this service. I am assuming that most people would coordinate with friends. As someone who is a Juniata Junky and lives on the river, I have never once seen anyone use a drift boat....ever. The common occurrence here is to have a jet boat and motor wherever you want and then return to the place that you started. Canoes and kayaks are all shuttled by friends.

I generally go upriver with my canoe/kayak and float to my house. Last year I canoed from Newton Hamilton to my house. That was a pleasant overnight camping/fishing trip.

What I have done for years for shuttles of canoe trips in four different states is contact local Chamber of Commerce and tackle shops and ask them if they know any retirees who would be interested in helping a fellow fisherman with a shuttle .

I have had great success with this approach. Good luck. I think this will work for you as well.

Rothrock Outfitters in Huntingdon appears to offer a shuttle service.

http://www.rothrockoutfitters.com/shuttles-livery-service

I've never used them, looks to be geared towards canoes and kayaks.

Last summer I floated from the mcveytown launch to the granville launch. This is a nice section full of ideal smallmouth structure and you'll also go right past jifigz property. I had a friend who's dad lives in Lewistown help with the shuttle. I live about 2hrs away and taking two vehicles wouldn't be worth it despite the good fishing. I have a small drift boat and we only had to get out and push twice. You might be able to get an Uber to help with the shuttle. Have your buddy stay with the boat at end of float while you go back for vehicle or do it in reverse so when your done with float you can load boat and run. Jifigz hopefully I can get out your way again this summer and fish with you. I really appreciated you taking a moment out of your busy day to show me your section of river.

Mwheaps32 wrote:
Last summer I floated from the mcveytown launch to the granville launch. This is a nice section full of ideal smallmouth structure and you'll also go right past jifigz property. I had a friend who's dad lives in Lewistown help with the shuttle. I live about 2hrs away and taking two vehicles wouldn't be worth it despite the good fishing. I have a small drift boat and we only had to get out and push twice. You might be able to get an Uber to help with the shuttle. Have your buddy stay with the boat at end of float while you go back for vehicle or do it in reverse so when your done with float you can load boat and run. Jifigz hopefully I can get out your way again this summer and fish with you. I really appreciated you taking a moment out of your busy day to show me your section of river.

Stay in touch. We will hit some smallmouths together.

If you plan with me ahead of time I can assist with a shuttle if you are going to be in my area. I don't want to go TOO FAR out of my way just to shuttle someone, but I will gladly help if you're anywhere from Mt. Union to Mifflintown......

jifigz,

Sent you a PM.

Back