Shout out to Harman's Luxury Log Cabins

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I made a return trip to Harman's this past weekend. It's been a few years since I've been there and a return trip was well overdue. The owners are still the same but they have a new shop owner named Eric Stroupe who used to own a fly shop in PA. Been talking to him for a few weeks before I came down. They expanded their fly shop and added a lot more products and companies to their line up there.

My wife and 4 kids and I stayed in Cabin 1 and everyone had a great time. My wife said "this is the most comfortable bed in a place we've stayed at". Happy wife, happy life. The hot tub and jacuzzi were a hit with my wife and the kids too. WE hiked up a path behind a new cabin they're building until the kids had enough. They're troopers though. \

They stock the stream at least every month and sometimes 2-3 times in the better months of the season. Eric said they stock between 1000-1500 fish each time. So you do the math on how many fish get stocked in 1 mile of stream each year. Water had good flow but was cold. Very rocky bottom with lots of good hatches. I flipped a few rocks and saw a good diverse nymph population.

It was a hair under a 4 hour drive for me and a nice scenic route. Definitely a nice weekend trip or even a little longer than that. They have partnered with paflyfish for years and for those of you who haven't gone down yet I hope this entices you to make your first of I'm sure many trips.

Ryan

Eric Stroup used to be part owner of TCO spruce creek. Met him when i first got into fly fishing. Nice guy

Good timing to read this post, today I'm wearing my Harman's thermal shirt that I picked up the other year I was down there with Maurice. It was December and we had to break off shelf ice clinging to the stream banks to fish but fish we did. We all landed many heavy trout even in that cold water.

I look forward to the next time I can get back down there... maybe in some warmer weather with the whole family.

Are there any wild fish there or all pellet heads?

The North Fork is all stocked fish privately by Harman's themselves in a 1 mile stretch. They put thousands of fish in there every year and they stock bigger fish too.

There are however a lot of brookie streams and a few other streams with wild fish in them within the area if you're interested. Literally the cabins and property alone are worth the price of admission, let alone adding in the fishing.

Harmans Cabins sits in a beautiful part of West Virginia, you could spend weeks exploring the Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks with day hikes and get back in time in the evening to catch some monster rainbows on dry flies. Then retire to a stream side hot tub with a nice brew... My wife and I went on our honeymoon and we will definitely go back.

....sounds a little like high-fenced hunting. Not judging, but no interest.

foxfire wrote:
....sounds a little like high-fenced hunting. Not judging, but no interest.

Do you fish for stocked trout in PA? If so whats the difference?

Fishing aside the cabins are a great place for a weekend get away, family vacation etc. That part of West Virginia is beautiful and Harmans provides top notch facilities to stay at.

kinda sounds like the same as that guy Donny used to do

First off…let me say, Harman’s is awesome. Period. Terrific accommodations, great staff, great service. Great location, and great value for what you get while there. And they’re a great partner for PAFF, often giving away a weekend stay or two a year during off season times. Very generous of them.

For the average angler, and most of their clientele, I’m sure the fishing situation is ideal…A very unnatural number of large, relatively easy to catch, fish within walking distance of your limited private access cabin. From that sense, yeah, it is a little like private, stocked "ranch" hunting trips. I think that's a valid comparison.

Granted, that’s not everyone’s cup of tea around here, I get it. Still, that’s no reason not to go. There’s plenty of good wild Trout angling or “normal” stocked Trout fishing within an hour’s drive if that’s more your deal, and Harman’s sets up as a great base camp for that. I was there last year with some college buddies for a long weekend. We’d go out and Brookie fish during the day (and did very well), then come back in the evening and fish to the risers before dark for a little. The stockers wouldn’t hold my attention all day either, but I’d say most of us around here are in the minority in that regard.

Harman's is nothing like SRC. Any comparison to that is simply an uninformed cheap shot, and a poor reflection on the individual suggesting it, not Harman's. I would suggest that most families, who choose to take a vacation each year, could afford a week's stay at Harman's if that's what they chose to do with their money and time that year. A week at the beach would easily be double or triple what you'd spend at Harman's. I don't make enough in a year to join SRC.

Edit: I have never been given anything by Harman's, or won one of the weekend trips they've offered here. I paid full price for my stay last year.

I plan on booking the cabins at some point. I like that it is close by and it just seems like a nice little affordable vacation, even for someone broke like me. I don't really fish for stockies much but I think doing some brookie fishing and also mixing in some action with big pellet heads sounds like fun. I could spend a few days doing that without getting bored.

Again, I wasn't judging. The FISHING aspect has no interest for me, personally. I've seen Curtis on FRC fish it often and I does look amazing. Sounds like a wonderful place for families, newcomers, kids, etc. There is also no denying the raw beauty of the area. Have at it!!!!

For the record - I do hunt stocked pheasant at the game lands!!!

For the record - I do hunt stocked pheasant at the game lands!!!

That's okay. There just aren't too many wild pheasants around anymore. My friend belongs to a club where you buy birds and they stock them on the several hundred acre preserve. He loves it and it keeps his Boykin Spaniel sharp. Actually I would love to find time to go with him sometime.

Did the pheasant stamp bother you?

No, not at all - the cost of doing business. Would gladly pay more if it meant stocking more of the wonderful game-lands that PA enjoys.

I think more opportunity, rather than the cost would get hunters, fisherman, and the next generation back into the woods/fields/lakes and streams. As you know, most of our buddies who complain about increased fees, stamps, etc. routinely drop $50.00 a few nights a week at the local tavern or on scratch-offs!!! Ha!

I would like to thank everyone for all the kind words about Harman's. Last October I agreed to take the General Manager position at Harman's Log Cabins and after many years in the fishing business decided to take on the challenge of property management. It is the best decision I've ever made with regard to my career. To begin with, Harman's is a family business that began in 1939 and is still owned by the family. The people that I work with in West Virginia are the some of the finest people I've ever been associated with. Todd Harman who is the President of the company is hands down the smartest person (besides my wife LOL) I've ever worked with and I've learned more from him in a few months about business and lodging and management than I ever thought possible. He is also a person that demanded we continue our sponsorship of this site.
I want to address the fishing situation very quickly so that there are no misunderstandings. This is a purely stocked- recreational fishing opportunity for our cabin guests. There is NO FEE to fish the waters of Harman's. We keep the North Fork River stocked as well as we are able at all times of the year that makes sense. We stock fish from one pound to 5 pounds- sometimes even bigger. Harman's is a family/group resort with beautiful cabins, fantastic scenery, tons of outdoor adventure and - oh by the way-- some really fun fishing opportunities.
In the short time I've been here- I have come to love this place. The people here are wonderful- the staff is top notch, and if you come to visit, I promise you will leave with the thought of telling your friends about it.
I didn't want this thread to turn into something negative about the fishing- Harman's is so much more.
Eric Stroup

Welcome Eric. You'll probably see me down there in 6 months or so.

I've only day tripped to Harmans once a couple of years ago and will say that the setting is beautiful and the water is gorgeous. It is so much more water than you could ever thoroughly fish in a day. And for those that think stocked and managed fish are too easy to catch I'll be the first to admit that they weren't that easy. You can't expect fish to just jump on the hook with a sloppy drift. But when you did hook into one it was a whole lotta fun. When I did go you were able to pay a rod fee or hire a guide and fish without staying there (although you really should stay there). With a little bit of luck I'll be in the area again and hope to stay there a few days with my family to enjoy and savor the setting. It's a great value and highly recommend to anyone and everyone.

This place has been on my list for awhile now. Time to make it happen as soon as the weather gets a little warmer. Thanks for posting this up and get it back on my list.

Just got back from a Sunday to Tuesday stay with friends. We have a great time every year. We usually get one of the bigger cabins and if you split it 8 ways its cheaper than staying at a motel! BONUS, great fishing, AMAZING scenery, and these cabins are FAR from roughing it!! We bring our wives along and they are content to enjoy the hot tub, hike, drink wine, shoot pool, and some times they fish too. Bottom line is, there is much much more than just fishing here. The hike up to the cliff by the road is fun with a breathtaking view, (caution if you are afraid of heights)! Another great hike is up the road at Seneca Rocks.

Eric, It was nice meeting you. I talked to you Sunday in the shop, and responded to your live facebook video. Your tips were helpful! We did well on the top with BWOs and Caddis. Olive streamers did well on the dead drift.

BTW, my profile pic is from a familiar rock at Harmans
-Jon

My family and I have booked the Fly Rod Chronicals cabin the week of July 15th. We have never been there, but having read so many great reviews we decided to try Harmon's instead of the OBX trip. My kids are grown and they will be bringing their girlfriends/fiance and are thrilled to get the chance to fish, hike, explore and hang out in a luxury cabin. Hoping for good water levels in July so we can fish. When we booked in January, we were told there could be limitations placed on fishing due to water levels and heat. However, there is a lot of "open" water nearby that we will be exploring.

Back