Shoulder surgery

nOObmaster

Finally got my right shoulder surgery today.

[planning to ask doc next week at a post op appointment]
Q: if any of you had a shoulder surgery in the past, how did you wait and start fishing again. small stream vs river.

Going to skip hunting (still have plenty of meat) and snowboarding his season. Hoping i can lift heavy stuff in 6 months, right around time for firewood logging and maple syrup harvesting.

Dear nOObmaster,

You make no mention of your age, but I can tell you that my brother had his formerly reconstructed shoulder totally rebuilt 2 years ago at the age of 60. It was done in February, and he missed no fishing that year. He usually flies to fishing destinations 3 or 4 times a year and didn't miss one minute of one trip. Last February he had a total hip replacement and was fishing all day in a drift boat by Memorial Day, standing for the entire trip.

I can tell you what he said, and what my wife, who has had both knees totally replaced, both said. Diligently following a physical therapy routine is absolutely vital. You may have actual PT visits with a therapist, or you may just be given instructions to manage on your own. It doesn't matter, you just need to do everything as instructed. I have friends who waved off much of their joint replacement therapy, and now they are almost as bad as before the surgery.

Good luck with your recovery. Stay positive and keep plugging away and you will be fine.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Finally got my right shoulder surgery today.

[planning to ask doc next week at a post op appointment]
Q: if any of you had a shoulder surgery in the past, how did you wait and start fishing again. small stream vs river.

Going to skip hunting (still have plenty of meat) and snowboarding his season. Hoping i can lift heavy stuff in 6 months, right around time for firewood logging and maple syrup harvesting.
I had my torn rotator cuff and a torn tendon reattached in my shoulder in late December and was casting with that shoulder and fly fishing in April. If significant repairs are required, you will be required to keep it in a sling / not use it for 6-8 weeks then start physical therapy. If the healing goes well and you take the therapy seriously, you should be casting in 4 months or less.

Back