Shopping for fishing gear!

GeneBeam

GeneBeam

North Cornwall Township, Lebanon County, PA
Going forward I think we, in the US, are going to want to starting asking questions about were the products, we buy, are made. Now I’m well aware that some people would buy things made by the devil if they could get it cheap enough, but I’m talking about products made in China.
I have spent a better part of today, and I will continue, searching websites to ascertain which one’s state where their products (fly Line, rods, reels, waders, wading boots, fishing jackets\shirts) are made. You would be surprise that most don’t state where they are made or just state imported, which I think is a euphemism for Made In China, but they are too embarrassed to come right out and state that up front on the product’s description.
One of the strange ones I found was Simms. I found that they state on one of their webpages the following: “Not only is Simms the only wader manufacturer in the country today, but we are also proud to offer an entire collection of Made in the USA products – many of them designed and constructed by expert anglers right here in Bozeman, Montana." But if this is true why don't they state Made In USA on every product description page?
Are all of their waders made in the US or just the ones listed on the page I was on? Also, the statement “…entire collection of Made in the USA products – many of them designed and constructed by expert anglers right here in Bozeman, Montana."
This statement has ambiguities in it, take “entire collection of Made in the USA products” then take “many of them designed and constructed by expert anglers right here in Bozeman, Montana.” Does that mean that a collection of products are made in the US and some in Boseman, but all in the USA or does it mean “collection of products are made in the US” and “some in Boseman” and others we are not going to tell you where they are made.
Why not a blanket statement “Not only is Simms the only wader manufacturer in the country today, but we are also proud to offer “all of our products” are Made in the USA and many of them designed and constructed by expert anglers right here in Bozeman, Montana." That statement is clear, but it would be clearer if they just said, “Everything made my Simms is made in the USA.” IMO the ambiguity is because not everything that Simms put their name on and\or sells on their website is made in Boseman or in the USA.
I read on the Cortland Fly Lines About Us webpage “With passion and experience, we remain focused on one thing: fishing. Fishing has been and always will be what drives us to develop the most advanced lines offered today. Located in Cortland, NY – all of our lines are made in the USA. All of our lines share the latest in line technology – many technologies that Cortland itself pioneered for the industry. We hope to see you on the water. Or, better yet, stop by and see us – we’d love to talk fishing. Cortland itself pioneered for the industry. We hope to see you on the water. Or, better yet, stop by and see us – we’d love to talk fishing.”
But then again on the product description page it doesn’t state anywhere that the fly line is made in the US. Not everyone checks out the About-Us page when shopping online.
Are some companies as embarrassed to state that the products are made in the US as others are about stating their products are made in China.
Now I don’t care if they make their products in China, but if I’m paying $200 or $400 or $700 or $900 for waders or wading boots or a fly rod, I should be able to find out where they are made before they arrive and I see on the tag “Made in China”.
Why is so hard to find out, when shopping online, where a product is made. I know when I shop at a local store, I can check the tag and see where it is made.
I’m going visit each of the following manufactures main website and see how they state were their products are made in each product description: Sage, Scott, G Loomis, Orvis, Simms, Patagonia, Sitka , Fishpond, Tibor, Hatch, R.L. Winston, Nautilus, Abel, Bauer, Ross Reels, Waterworsk-Lamson, Echo, Temple Fork Outfitters, Redington, Scientific Anglers, Rio Products, Airflo, Rensetti, Dyna-King, Korkers, ReelFlyRod, Rainy's, Umpqua, Smith Optics, Suncloud, Loon, Buff & Graplrz.
Before everyone jumps on me, about why we should care, where what we buy, is made, let me make a statement I said to a friend after he chastised me about my not wanting to buy anything at Walmart.
I said “Everyone in the US wants a good job that pays well, that gives them and their family good health care and vacation pay”, but by shopping at Walmart they are saying me “they don’t give a damn if their neighbor has the same thing.”

Think about it gentlemen.

I agree with your premise and try to buy as many products made stateside as I can. I do agree that the chickens have come home to roost, somewhat, on our consumer society since we've outsourced manufacturing. I hope it wakes up a vast majority of people, but I don't think it will. I'll stop there.

Now for Simms, for waders, the G3 line and up are made in Bozeman, MT. Their clothing is made overseas, as are their packs, accessories, etc. Sage rods are handmade in Bainbridge Island, WA. Their reels are made overseas. Galvan reels are 100% manufactured in Sonora, CA. Nautilus reels are manufactured in Miami, FL. Renzetti vises are manufactured in Titusville, FL. This is all my recollection and may have changed.

Back