Shad run in SE PA

ian_brown

ian_brown

One of my younger brothers says the shad should be running soon. Does anyone have any suggestions on locations near Philly. Also, what equipment and flies will I need? Cann I get away with usinng my 5 wt?

Ian,

A 5 wt will work. A 6wt or 7wt might work better because of the weight of the flies. Sink tip line is a plus. Attached is a link for the shad hotline. The lower Delaware shad run begins when the water temp reaches around 50 degrees. Check the hotline for current conditions when it warms up in the next couple of weeks.

The closest decent place to fish near Philly is Yardley > Washington’s Crossing > New Hope and north. You can use bright colored streamers, buggers, and clousers. The second link gives you some fishing info.

Shad are fun and sure put a bend in your rod when you hit them right. I can’t seem to tear myself away from trout fishing in April and May with all the hatches at that time to fish for shad. Give it a try. Good luck.

http://www.geocities.com/shadhotline/

http://www.bigyflyco.com/shadflyfishing.html

The closest place to fish for shad in Phila. is in Phila. Good numbers of American shad and hickory shad stack up near the base of Fairmount Dam on the Schuylkill. Hickory shad are state endangered species, which must be immediately released unharmed. See you regulation summary booklet for the regulations that pertain to this area, which is part of the Delaware Estuary.

I have done a lot shad fishing, both fly and spin, and I think you'd be a bit under-gunned on American shad with a 5 wt. It would be perfect for hickories.

I fish the Susquehanna, and haven't hit the DE river, but in the Suskie, the hickories head up the creeks while the American shad stay in the main river. Most (all) of the flyfisherman head up the creeks to target them as the river is unwadeable in the spring and casting room is very limited. When I fish the river, I fish shad darts and flutter spoons. Hickories are great fun; they jump a lot and often you can catch them on every cast. When a pod of American shad rolls through, it's another game altogether. I have been spooled twice by American shad fishing spinning gear. I think a 7 weight is the minimum I would feel comfortable using considering spring current conditions. They are still good sport on a 9 weight based on those I have hooked while fishing for stripers, and are more than capable of showing you your backing.

Christian wrote:
I fish the Susquehanna, and haven't hit the DE river, but in the Suskie, the hickories head up the creeks while the American shad stay in the main river. Most (all) of the flyfisherman head up the creeks to target them as the river is unwadeable in the spring and casting room is very limited. When I fish the river, I fish shad darts and flutter spoons. Hickories are great fun; they jump a lot and often you can catch them on every cast. When a pod of American shad rolls through, it's another game altogether.

Excuse me but shad fishing is CLOSED on the Susquehanna so why would you and others deliberately target a species that is considered endangered on that watershed?

Just because you return them doesn't make it right.

Shad fishing is perfectly legal in the Susquehanna, and is extremely popular between Conowingo dam and the bay, as well as on Deer Creek and the Octoraro. The status of the shad run is even reported on the Maryland DCNR website in the spring.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/recreational/articles/shadfishing.html

Christian:

The post topic was about PA, I was responding to what I assumed was fishing in PA and you are talking about fishing in Maryland.

BTW, here's OUR rules:

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/fishpub/summary/inland.html

Scroll down to shad.

I don't care about PA's rules with regards to fishing for shad on the Suskie. There's no place to target them in PA on the anyway. The only viable shad fishery on the river is below Conowingo. I never stated I was in PA, nor did the post imply it (just about everyone here knows that shad + Suskie=MD). All I did was offer EQUIPMENT advice based on my experience. I stand by it. An American shad is one tough customer and I feel a 5 weight is under-gunned , especially considering the current

Christian:

...when I read a post titled: Shad Run in SE PA I assumed the responders, regardless of post count were talking about Pennsylvania not Maryland; my mistake I guess.

The fact that I assumed that you MAY not know the rules in PA isn't something that is so earth shattering; it happens all the time with people. But trust me; a LOT of people don't know or don't care that shad fishing on the Susquehanna in PA is closed. Just read all posts regarding the confusion that surrounds whether you can fish for trout on Approved Trout streams between March 1 and Opening Day. The closed designation in PA means you aren't even allowed to target a species and release it. When I read your post; I assumed you were doing that in PA, not Maryland where it's legal. Nothing else was implied on my part.

I also didn't question your recommendations on tackle.

Bamboozle wrote:
Excuse me but shad fishing is CLOSED on the Susquehanna so why would you and others deliberately target a species that is considered endangered on that watershed?

Just because you return them doesn't make it right.

I think the moderators should seriously consider deleting such posts as soon as they see them. That would avoid the sorts of conflicts that follow such "attitude" posts.

Any post that starts out "Excuse me but..." is immediately suspect.

If these sorts of attacking posts are not ruthlessly culled, the rude posters drive out the people who provide good information and commentary. It happens on message boards of all types, not just flyfishing.

Well said Troutbert :lol:

I think it makes sense to use restraint in deleting posts and let the posters work it out, at least until that seems futile. I now consider myself friends with several posters that I initially clashed with. At the same time, it helps when both people in a dispute regulate themselves and consider whether they might share some blame for the disagreement.

Nicely put Jack :lol:

Troutbert, et al.

Taken care of...

I left some of the valuable nuggets in there and deleted no entire posts. We do a pretty good job of 'culling' around here. in fact we do very little. The general posters behavior here on PAflyfish is very civil. When it get s feisty, we watch, when it gets insulting we pull out the delete button.

If the posters with attitude don't like it they can go find a place where they can act out unmolested. Here they will be tamed.

Tone and attitude on a message board are the expressions most difficult to moderate. Over-moderation also drives people out. So it is balance that delivers the readers and posters with the best experience. We do a pretty good job of that here. We hear it all the time.

So before you post something you wouldn't say to you mother, think about it. it may be gone in a flash. Or ity may stay if I'd say it to my mother...you should meet my mother. :lol:

Back