Shad fishing

I spent the weekend in Williamsburg Va. and fished the Chick at Rock a Hock. The herring run was very thick there and I did well with some nice crappie. There is a no kill on the hearing so very few fishermen but one guy dropped a 6 hook hearing rig down and pow he pulled 4 and had a 5 th one fall off. Not my cup of tea but very impressive. Thanks for the good report icy,I hope to get down there this weekend.

Nothing to great in the city of brotherly love. I got 1 big quilback and my friend got one hickory.

NICE Striper bait you got there.

They may be striper bait, but they still fight harder than a trout. I like to think of them as little Susquehanna tarpon.

I'd like to get a good look at the striper that would take a big hickory shad. I hear there are a few of those stripers around this time of year on the flats . :-D

I've heard of guys putting a big 6/0 j hook right near a dart and when they hookup they just let the shad fight in the water till a bass comes along. It illegal but it's kinda cool to think of. Much like livelining bunker to striper.

I have all ways tried to be a law abiding citizen but did not understand the Md migratory law. I have my Va salt water license that is honored in Md and my Pa migratory permit. These do NOT meet Md tidal migratory requirements. Also Noaa is Not accepted. Only a Md migratory registration is accepted. I did not believe or understand it but a friend sent me to the Md web site and was correct. He was behind Conowingo dam yesterday and law enforcement needed help keeping there pencils sharp. Please check each states requirement before fishing.

Sorry Addicted Angler but I just reviewed the MD. State fishing licenses and permits. I can't find a migratory permit or license. Am I missing something? Could you mean the Chesapeake Bay and Tidal license? That's what I bought, along with the free saltwater license and I've never been hassled.

sobot, here is the site.

www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/registry/

That's the site I reviewed when I said I reviewed MD. licenses and permits. It's also the site I used to purchase my licenses from. You do realize that the regs. are completely different above and below the dam. Neighboring State licenses that are valid above the dam are not valid below the dam.
I guess I'll just stick with what I've got until I get written up.
Oh, by the way, I caught 23 shad below the dam last Wed. I was the only guy fly fishing so I doubt anyone from this board was there. I didn't see the spin guys catch much of anything. It's always nice when a fly guy can clobber the spin guys. Especially if you're the fly guy.

Yes I am aware of the regulations and have written articles on them in the past. One thing that seems strange is that NOAA started the federal registration and made or perhaps let the states opt out by letting them include it in there Saltwater licensing. But now Md says you have to have a Md registration. The federal NOAA is not Valid. Also I am assuming you understand fishing Deer creek requires a Md fresh water license and the state says you do not need any registration. However in my first conversations with NOAA they wanted all migratory fishermen to have it. I fish in Pa.,Virginia,and DC and they all have different migratory requirements. I guess my point is it does not have to be this complicated for fishermen who fish for them in different states.

Sabot I may not have answered your question. Go to dnr.maryland.gov/pdfs/registryhandout2011fisheries.pdf. This explains the saltwater registry for Md. With the above post and this it explains the legal portion of migratory fishing in Maryland Salt,tidal water. If you have other questions I would suggest calling or e-mailing Md fisherys or the state fishery division you are fishing in.

I agree with you. Sometimes I feel like I need to call my lawyer (my son) to see if he can untangle some of these regulations.

Fished with iceyguides and got into my first of the season yesterday. For the first couple hours we caught a mess of fish (only one was mine).

I just missed the acrobatics here...
8668877108_281e0b9d9d_o.jpg

Getting the fly deep seemed to be the key, and my setup was just out of the zone in the faster-moving water.

With a half hour left, I took a walk and found a slower stretch and a handful of fish. Roll cast...mend...swing...twich...repeat.

8666962404_ee5c4d0dd3_c.jpg

Two of us fished the river between Conowingo and Deer creek. Fishing was very good to excellent. Sometimes you need the magic bullet today was not that day. If you got your offering in front of them they seemed to take it. Almost everyone I saw was catching Hickorys. Terry got a American also. There was a fantastic Caddis hatch but no trout rising. Yes I know there are no trout there. Hope everyone gets a chance to have a day like today.

Nice job guys I will make it out there one of these days

You should go Frederick. I was there for about 1 1/2 hours today and managed 12 shad. All hickories, no Americans and all on the fly. Oh by the way, I was license checked by Officer Ward of the Maryland DNR. He told me that my Bay and Coastal license ($22.50) and my MD. Saltwater Angler Registration (free) were all I needed to fish below the dam at Conowingo. That's what the guys in my fishing club told me I'd need. I only mention it because I believe there has been some misinformation included in this thread.
I asked Officer Ward about the Migratory license referenced earlier in this thread and he said that that is for off shore anglers targeting specific species. Again, I'm only mentioning this because I'm concerned that some potential newbies to Conowingo may be put off by comments earlier in this thread. It's not that complicated. Go!

does anyone know anything about that becoming a separate fee. kind of like you buy a trout stamp do you think they are going to make you buy a stamp for fishing for species like shad and stripers?

I imagine that that decision would be up to the State Legislature. It's anybodies guess what any legislature will do.

just a quick report from the skuke. Big American are in and a lot of them. I caught 10 today. 3 on the fly. the biggest was about 23 inches with most of them being in the 18 to 23 inch range. tthey are great fish to catch on the fly.

Back