seven-foot, five-weight fly rod

HoM,

Lark can get the rods to whomever he chooses. If you need/want it more than I do, have at it.

I think t/bert has said he'd like the far-and-fine, and I hope he can get that one.

I am not in a desperate situation here.

Funny, my main brookie rod is a 7'6" 5 wt, and I throw 7 wt line on it. Been looking for a backup, and yes, they are hard to find. I like short and stiff for my brookie rods. There's a "that's what she said" joke for ya.

Funny story, at one of the FF shows, before Covid, Joe Humphrey's was doing his casting demo thing. After it finished I asked him what he was using. Orvis something or other, of course. I said, no, weight and length. He said "oh! It's just a little 7 ft 6 wt." I said Joe, they don't make that rod in a 7 ft 6 wt, I've been looking for something like that. He got this goofy grin, and was like "I know. But for me they do."

Idk who is recently making a 7ft 5 weight, I do know that I have one in fiberglass and one graphite.

6'6" to 7'6" is a sweet spot for fiberglass. Many are available - just google that and several sources will surface. With graphite, some people are searching for more flex and are accustomed to equating light line weight for smaller fish and more flex.

Until they fish with glass, they wouldn't understand why many 5wt and even 6wt glass rods are flat-out excellent for panfish - they are because of the glass characteristics. The classic Fenwick and Browning Silaflex and other shorter rod are en examples, as are many of the new offerings. It's hard to explain, but fishing a 7' or 7'6" glass rod in a tight stream affords casting options that need to be experienced to understand. I rarely need to roll- cast. Sometime I may want to, but it's an option, not a preference due to the rod. Sorry if I'm offending anyone (really, not posting like a jerk), but Madison Ave crafts a lot of people's assumptions for manufacturers' advantages.

rrt wrote:

I found an Art Weiler bamboo of the right specs, but I' probably be afraid to actually use it.

rrt

Art would fully expect you to use it. Plus, if anything went wrong, you can bring it to him for repair. I love my Weiler rods!!
Mike B

The Cabela's CGR 7' #5 fiberglass is a work horse for trout on small to medium streams.

I favor my little 6'6" #4 CGR rod though, it's a dandy little trout rod.

For all purposes I know the 7' rod is just a much more capable and versatile tool though.

You can remove me from any competition that might exist for Lark's rods. My wife can find anything online, and he found a 7/5 Fenwick Aetos, and it was inexpensive. It arrived today, and it looks like it will be all right.

A negative for me is that it was made in China, not the USA. I guess I should have figured that from its price when ordering. However, I think I'll keep it as my back-up for the rod I constantly use and abuse on brush-choked little streams.

Again, thanks to all for the ideas.

I'm happy for you, Rich..

Having a gap (even if only potential) like that at such a critical place in our arsenal is an anxiety making thing, at least for me.

Enjoy!

Back