Seneca Reservation Liscense

T

tyeager

Left the house at 330..
pulled into 20 mile about 600...
caught 3 fish, saw about sixty guys...
joked around with some people that were fishing....

headed to the catt about 830....

Seneca One Stop in Irving/Silver Creek area, Herons Landing, and the other Native American shop I was told to check at were all sold out of Res Liscenses

How does that happen.....

Wish I could get my $4 in tolls back from NY state

to many other guys fishing the res maybe ??
like brad said upstream is better water in my book..

More fisherman than fish is status qu for this time of year add in warm weather and it gets crowded. Fished the big water Sat and no other fisherman to speak of a Big brown and a rainbow by the island.

I figured the pa tribs were low and crowded, so why not check out the catt while its down to get a lay of the land.....I have a week off in October and November so I figured it would be worth checking out for later in the year.....

I don't know anything about the catt except for it is bigger water and has more opportunities to catch one on the swing

I actually had one person tell me I didn't need a liscense since the creek was the boundary of the reservation down low, she said if I saw a conservation officer I could just wade out of the stream and be ok.....I didn't take her advice

Are they out for the year or just temporarily?

You can always call or email them.
There are also a couple of new regs on the rez this year.

http://www.senecaconservation.com/senecaconservation.com/Home.html

Tyeager:

That is wild!

Sounds like maybe they ran out and the re-order printing has not come back to restock with.

What I like about fishing on the Reservation is the usual lack of crowds. I figure that the NY folks do not want to buy another liscence to fish there and most people from PA head to Erie or the Salmon River.

Shock

ps. my Grandparents lived on West Pine St. in Clearfield.

If memory serves me, there are a number of locations that have these permits. I remember at least two other stores where I purchased my reservation license. I am sorry I can't remember the exact names. I thought one was called Wolf convveniece store. I know we drove around until we finally found a place that had them. If you plan to fish the reservation its best to purchase your license early in September.

Shock, the reservation can get quite crowded so don't expect it as a place of solitude. Also the natives are quite resentful of outsiders and often discharge firearms into the water to intimidate visiting fishermen. Still the reservation has decent number of fish. The problem with the Zoar Valley is the fish are pretty dispersed by the time they make it up there.

< I don't have to buy a reservation license , My sister just moved off the res a few years ago, we are native.But because i care about the resource and the reservation i always pony up an get one. The Dam comes out at Springville there will be 75 miles more of steelhead water. one thing though you have to be really carefull of the posted water in Ny an the Catt has a bit of it. Folks don't take kindly to tresspassers. So be respectful an ask permission.

Zoar is a great place to fish also Gowanda is good.

Even when the Reservation water is busy, it is still less crowded than the Erie Tribs, when I have been there, and from what others have said, the Salmon River may be worse.

I have been going there for at least 12 years with a few missed years recently and have not had any problems but I have heard the occasional story. I have always felt that it is a privilage being allowed to fish there and make the effort to smile and talk to anyone I have met on the reservation. Imagine how you would feel if a bunch of tourists showed up in your town and acted like they owned the place, so to speak. Complimenting someone on how beautiful the stream or the leaves are and how generous it is for the community to let you fish there goes a long way for everyone.

For me, the biggest drawback is that the Catt can blow out very easily and be unfishable for days or weeks. The best fishing is after some rain, but when the water drops because fresh fish move upstream when the water is high. Planning a trip and getting it right is a roll of the dice but that is Steelhead fishing.

I can't help but look forward to when the Dam is removed and opens up more spawning ground for even more natural reproduction.

Shock

Back