Selling flies

Most of the points already posted are true. Bottom line is that almost all flies found in shops now come from oversees. As a tyer myself I used to sell flies from time to time. What you need to do is develop some pattern(s) and market them yourself. I have a buddy who sells specialized streamer patterns etc. I used to tie specialized spawn patterns to some guys in erie. Back in the day I would sell them for $1 each. I had several guys that would buy $50-$60 worth a year so it wasn't really a money maker.

Bottom line is this guy asked about selling flies and has never responded in this thread. You guys are pretty much blowing smoke to someone who isn't paying any attention.

/thread if you ask me.

About the only way for an individual tier to get into volume production and get a fair price that reflects the costs of labor, materials, overhead and also a reasonable markup is to sell all your output to yourself.

This way, you could also refuse to negotiate on price and insist that all sales are final and there will be no exchanges or refunds. Not to mention that you could also run specials and closeouts at really great prices that you won't be able to resist.

If you get a big enough operation going, you could do like Wal-Mart and pressure material and hook suppliers to sell to you in volume at greatly reduced prices and then either (depending on market conditions at the time) pass the savings on to yourself or charge yourself the full customary retail markup (40-50%) and really start raking in the dough.

Sky's the limit...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I worked in a flyshop in Spokane for 6 years and sold my flies for 15. When I moved back to PA... I found out 4 things:

1. The area I live in has a about 4 flyfishers (who buy their flies in Kenya)
2. ooops! Kenya. They have driven the little guy out of the market (me)
3. You will lose interest in tying after you tie 345 dozen #12 Adams
4. You have to specialize. Now I tie jigs (with a few warmwater fly patterns that Kenya hasn't mass-produced yet).

Edited for language. The original post was started by a 13 or 14 year old! PLEASE watch your "P's" & "Q's" (and other letters) in this post and all others

Put some flies on ebay... I see alot of simple flies on there selling for way more than they should cost.

i would try ebay and also try to register as a tyer on my flies.com dean meyers ties there too (djmeyers) here maybe talk to him see if he can give you some pointers

It was always my dream to have a fly shop and still is. I have done tons of research on selling flies and there is next to nothing in profit. Reason for that is the same reason american small business is fading away. Everything is made over seas. Ebay is the best place to sell them and rare flies will sell best. If you are selling bwo or elk hair caddis you are wasting your time. I would imagine big salt water and musky flies would sell for a fair amount but still not much of a profit.

got one for sale with house and all.

Back