Selling flies

willdeb

willdeb

Can someone tell me some tips on selling flies that i make my self

If you are talking about trying to make money through "commercial" tying:

try to find a local shop and ask them if they need some help. they might ask you to help supplement the more popular patterns. I did this a year or so ago and got an order for like 10 dozen. The problem with this approach is either

a) they already use a local tier who makes his living this way and they might want to continue to use them, so you wont make much

or

b) the flies come from overseas and its not worth your time because they are so cheap.

willdeb wrote:

I suppose a young guy like you can make a few bucks by selling some of the flies you tie. If you are pretty good at it, you may make as you would working at at McDonalds or some other jobs similar jobs. Post pics of a few of your flies. Good luck.

Mouth

Many tried-we didn't last long.lol

I tied for a local fly shop when I was a student and usually got a large order at the beginning of the semester, typically 15-40 dozen but they were often only a couple patterns (I hate tying Muddler Minnows to this day). With overseas tiers these days, I don't know how many fly shops still pay "locals" to tie but it's worth looking in to.

Also, check out Myflies.com. They have been a sponsor of this site in the past and this might be another option for you.

Consider legally changing your name to Theodore Gordon. It can only help.

Yeah, don't do it.

Unless you buy materials wholesale there is almost no profit margin. Considering the labor involved you actually probably lose money. If it is something you really want to do, contact a local flyshop and see if they are interested. Problem is there are not many around and most carry flies made in Honduras, Mexico, etc.

The other thing you need to take into consideration is your enjoyment. I used to tie for a local shop in high school and college to stock bins. He would give me the materials and I would tie what he needed to stock up for the spring and summer. Then from time to time he would get special orders from customers for trips or just their personal stock. The shop was primarily geared toward warmwater species and since I was much more into trout fishing than he was at the time I got all the special orders for trout flies. I thought it would be great and all I wanted to do. The truth was it sucked. I totally lost the enjoyment in tying flies for myself. Not to mention I only made $0.50 to $1.00 per fly and a discount in the shop.

You will need a TAX License from Pennsylvania to sell manufactured flies in PA. Sales Tax applies to flies for retail. I know, I sell flies...You need to collect and report and pay the 6% sales tax. Even more to customers in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. If you sell to a wholeseller, no, but you will need to claim the income as gross minus cost for a net profit. Once you see that number (profit) you will not want to sell flies.

Let me tell you, selling flies for income, is hard to do.

PM me for more details.

Bottom line, it is hard to compete with offshore flies at $.85

If you're going to do it, then sell to friends and acquaintances. Or even Ebay. It is NOT cost effective. Figure out your bottom line. If you tie one fly every 10 minutes and charge $1 a fly, then you're making about $4 an hour with the cost of materials being thrown in.

I've thought about it before, but I make a lot more at work. Plus then tying becomes a job rather than fun and then you won't like it any more.

I sell to friends who don't tie, and give them a steal of a deal on them. Basically I cover materials and just a hair more. I want them to enjoy the sport and not have to pa
y an arm and a leg to get into it. I sold 60 flies for $40 in the fall before my salmon trip. About half streamers and half eggs. I think I made about $8 total after I figured out my expenses.

Not worth it.

These are all valid points but one positive thing is that not everyone can tie or has the time and desire to tie. This is America and we all have the chance to make a go of what we love. All it takes is one small idea and sometimes it branches into success. I personally don't care to buy a fly tied by a Chinese girl and sold here for a buck eighty or whatever it costs. Marketing angle is the key my friend. One thing about selling flies is that you're tyring to catch people first and catching fish is the secondary purpose of the fly. Reversing that principle may bring income.

I tie and sell a lot of flies my advise is to come up with original patterns of your own that work. Fly shops generally get them cheap over seas. It is not worth trying to sell copper johns that the fly shop can buy for $2 a dozen over seas. Once you get good at tying contact a fly fishing magazine try and get an article that you wrote in there with your pattern. This will help you to get exposure and your name out there. Also try vending your flies at fly fishing shows. You have to check them out because some shows are terrible and not worth you time and money. I do the trout unlimited cabin fever show in cranberry pa. It gets around 900 people every year and its close to pittsburgh so guuys are as tight with their money. I made over $500 last year off flies at that show, I plan on making at least $1000 this year that's my goal. You also need a tax id wich is easy to obtain. It is a lot of work but if you like doing it its a labor of love. Also as where to get materials you can contact a supplier but you have to be a comercial tier or business for them to do business with you so you have to actually start a business. It can be an internet business it dosen't have to be a brick and mortar store but once again you need to get established first. This will take time. It is a ton of work but if you want to give it a shot its something you'll have to do. You can pm me if you have any other questions.

"Can someone tell me some tips on selling flies that i make my self".

Willdeb,

I would not discourage you!
Go for it!
Go for the magic!

Search a lot of market, go to all kind of shows and fly-tie convention you ever find, fly shops, anglers attics, learn "the local fly tie thalweg", go to Vincent Marinaro, Sid W Gordon, John Veniard, Thomas Edwin Pryce-Tannatt, Freddie Riley books and anywhere you can imagine.
Talk to the fly tiers, big/small/ medium fly tie parlors and the buyers networks, talk to brother and sister if you feel like and go for it!
Make you flies better; different, superb imitations, chipper and you soon will be selling them to China!!!

Yes; there is the huge competition
Yes: Probably working for McDonald give you the betters money and the benefits
Yes: the time and reasoning logics are the consideration

Nobody here or there can tell you the right or wrong and unless you start tying (and selling) you wouldn’t know the ....

There’s only one thing here can start/stop you: your passion.
The worst scenario is: you will have respectable and satisfactory feeling that some anglers somewhere are catching the trouts using your flies!

Are you still waiting?

At the very least go though the steps and make contact with businesses and fly shops you would need to deal with. I take it you are a young lad and learning about business commerce both as an independent owner and possibly an employee of a company down the road is incredible knowledge many fear and never attempt and gain. It's not JUST about tying flies for a profit it's networking, a better understanding of tax liability and the list goes on. If my son said he wanted to make money tying and selling flies as a business owner I would strongly encourage him to do so for the overall experience regardless of financial profit.

I've met people who tie flies and sell them as a sideline hobby that brings in some cash in addition to their main source of income.

That seemed to work out well for them. These were people who really enjoyed tying flies, who get satisfaction out of making finely crafted items, keeping the tradition going, knowing people enjoyed their flies, etc. Tying lots of flies, they developed their fly tying skills to very high levels. And they got some additional cash besides (which they probably spent on flyfishing stuff!). But they were definitely doing this as a sideline, not a primary occupation.

I've been asked by several local shops to tie for them. And when they told me what they'd pay - I quickly decided it wasn't worth my time for sure.
The only way I can see it being worthwhile, is for someone who is retired - or unemployed for whatever reason - and really needs something to do to pass time

When it comes to "doing it right," don't forget that the selling of flies is subject to Federal excise tax. Problem is, many tiers - especially those who claim they sell on a smaller scale - don't bother to pay up. I know more than one tier who was visited by an IRS agent and the visit wasn't a pleasant one. It was, however, an expensive visit!

OldLefty wrote:
When it comes to "doing it right," don't forget that the selling of flies is subject to Federal excise tax. Problem is, many tiers - especially those who claim they sell on a smaller scale - don't bother to pay up. I know more than one tier who was visited by an IRS agent and the visit wasn't a pleasant one. It was, however, an expensive visit!

Excellent point-- sell your labor (under the table if you dare).

If the IRS man uses a flypole, it might go well.

Check with Tom at Slate Run tackle, he uses local tiers.

Back