Sculpin Patterns

It's great stuff I have it in 7 different colors. I tie a bunch of different patterns with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 5
Sculpin helmets are very heavy. They are very difficult to cast in a conventional manner. Flipin' and chuckin' is the way to go. On the positive side it is tough to fish them anywhere but right on the bottom which is where the sculpins hang out so that is good. I like some of the patterns tied with the helmets and have had luck fishing them in undercuts and deep holes and using short strips on the bottom. You will definitely hang some up and lose some but when a big brownie grabs it there is generally no mistaking the take.

Dan, is that the same stuff you tied the Shannon Streamer with?

delta_dog wrote:
It's great stuff I have it in 7 different colors. I tie a bunch of different patterns with it.

dc410 wrote:
On the positive side it is tough to fish them anywhere but right on the bottom which is where the sculpins hang out so that is good. I like some of the patterns tied with the helmets and have had luck fishing them in undercuts and deep holes and using short strips on the bottom.

Exactly where I've struggled with my current patterns...by the time it gets down, its halfway through the lane/hole I'm trying to fish. I'll have to give em a shot.

Here are a couple that I tied using the sculpin helmets. lv2nymph will probably recognize them.

Attachments

• Bunny Mink Sculpin.jpg
    Bunny Mink Sculpin.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
Yep, and they worked too. After catching several trout on the olive one on the left I went ahead and left it on the bottom of spring creek. :-( But, I never fished the other one for fear of the same fait. My hooks came today so I'm on the way with tying them. :-D Thanks again John.

having spent years fishing sculpin patterns in the west I am convinced the Light spruce fly streamer is the most realistic looking imitation of sculpins where it matters-in the water.Sounds silly until you actually see sculpins scurrying across the bottom of a stream.
They also require less lead to sink than the exact imitators…..
The only drawback is that featherwing streamers are poor choices for night fishing as you have to keep bringing the fly in to check to see the wing isn't wrapped .
okay ,back to my cave.lol

lv2nymph wrote:
So I googled headbanger sculpin and the guy used 19 strand beadalon wire for the connection, the front hook was a #1 hook. I saw there was a 7 strand & a 49 strand wire as well. Any one ever use this stuff....

I use beadalon on all of my articulated trout, bass and musky flies. Works great! Good action and super strong too.

Love that bunny mink sculpin!

Thanks, this will be my first endeavor into articulated streamers. He threaded two beads on to the wire between the eye of the rear hook and the back of the lead hook, I take it that is to prevent fouling? Would the size of the streamer to be tied dictate the strand count of the wire? I ask because I got an idea it will be in a pack and I won't be able to bend it around a bit before getting it. Appreciate you letting me pick your brain on this.

I got a spool of .015in, 60 ft, White, 7 strand Beadalon. I got it at Michaels Craft Store for like 4 bucks.

The beads can be used for a few reasons. I know when using mono-filament to join the two hooks, the beads kept the line from being cut by teeth or from wear. Sometimes I used the beads, sometimes I dont. All depends on the pattern.

Like with these two patterns, I generally don't use any beads because the space between the two hooks is small and there is zonker covering it. It's all preference I guess

20131112_112029.jpeg

PhotoGrid_1389834187491.jpg

But all of these patterns have beads. You can hardly tell

PhotoGrid_1389761149751.jpg

PhotoGrid_1387924157704.jpg

I have some 0.02 7 strand that I use more for musky flies or if I'm spanning a larger gap. I use 0.015 19 strand for most of my trout stuff. As far as beads go, just play around with different #'s and sizes. Most Galloup-style flies I use 2 small beads. For bigger stuff I normally use a few 6-8mm beads depending on the pattern

Ok, very good. Thanks a lot guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. "T" that's one fine looking school of streamers you've got there, real nice tying. I'm not tying what you would call monsters so I don't believe I'll need beads on these. Appreciate all the responses.

delta_dog wrote:
Dan, I'll trade you some of the slate colored deer hair w/mahogany tips for a little bit of each color of that stuff. What say you?

lv2nymph wrote:
Ok, very good. Thanks a lot guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. "T" that's one fine looking school of streamers you've got there, real nice tying. I'm not tying what you would call monsters so I don't believe I'll need beads on these. Appreciate all the responses.

Thanks! Yeah you should be fine without any beads. If you do need them though, you might as well get them while you're buying the beadalon. I got some nice matte olive ones for like 98 cents haha

Loomis, just had to say. those are some really nice ties there.

GC

Thanks GenCon appreciate the kind words

My new favorite sculpin pattern. Hops across the bottom realistically. Buying the expensive helmets are killer though.

Attachments

• Darth Muddler.JPG
    Darth Muddler.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 3
Nice sculpins LLR. I've been tying up some smaller sculpin patterns for the spring. I love streamer fishing, and I've been picking up more fish with the smaller guys. Yeah, sometimes a bit smaller, but it's still awesome to see them take it.

These are 3" Long. The tan one is for the stained water and olive for clear.
IMG_1970.JPG

This ones not so small. I think it's like 4-5". Have yet to water test it.

IMG_2012.JPG

Back