scud back material tying for Spring Creek

joeypm

joeypm

Ive been told that on spring creek in Centre county there are alot of different scud patterns. I was wondering what everyone use's as I will be stopping at the local fly shop for supplies on my home. Also how long should the legs hang down after plucking out the dubbing?

thanks again I'm sure my trip will have greater success because of all in this forum...

Strips of plastic baggie will work fine, though I have some of this too.

I like the hareline scudback material over the plastic baggie. Plus it comes in a ton of different colors.

There's a lot more useless stuff sitting on my tying dest, that's for sure.

MKern wrote:
I like the hareline scudback material over the plastic baggie. Plus it comes in a ton of different colors.

There's a lot more useless stuff sitting on my tying dest, that's for sure.

I use the hairline too. I like the multiple colors. I use olive and grey for the most part.

I too use mostly olive and grey.

Cream Swiss straw works great!

As to the hairline stuff:

I just bought clear to get the proper color all the time. Do you guys think there's any reason to buy multiple colors instead of the clear?

Jay,

I like having the colors I use -- ease/simplicity/laziness.
But at $2 a pack, I think it's worth it.

Jay,

I use a strip of clear plastic bag for my scud backs. I use a permanent marker and color the TOP OF THE DUBBING with the pen and fold over it with the clear plastic. The clear plastic adds a sheen to the fly and sort of holds it together. I like using a dubbing mix that's medium or lighter color olivish, grayish, brownish mix with a lot of guard hairs in it (to represent legs). I usually use a darker color olive, brown, or amber/orange pen to color the top of the fly. The clear plastic back also allwos me to add a strand of crystal flash for the vein on top of the back for added attraction or sometimes I use a darked colored stripped quill for a little more realism. The fly works well for me on some tough limestoner fish. Good luck

Here's an interesting scud pattern video for anyone interested:

http://www.riseformstudio.tv/fly_tying_video_scud.html

Back