Scissors in hand when tying?

G

gibsygoldtop

Trying to be a little more efficient at the vise and I am trying to keep the scissors in hand when tying. Who holds the scissors? Who puts them down?

Any tips? Am I really gonna save time keeping them in hand?

Yeah, I keep them in my hand. I put the finger next to the pinkie in a hoop. That is the finger that remains in the scissor. I've had problems with some scissors that don't fit right. The scissor will come open and stab or prick my hand. I've used the ones that you can bend the hoops. They work nicely. I am currently using a pair made by Kershaw. I really like them. Find a pair that fit comfortably. It does save time.

I tried some different ways of holding the scissors while tying but generally gave it up after sticking myself.....in addition to discovering that it didn't speed things up much for me.

I don't tie with the scissors in my hand. It's "one **** at a time" for me (bonus points if you can name the movie that quote came from).

I do everything slow, except driving, so I've accepted the fact I'll tie flies at my own pace.

Fishidiot wrote:
I tried some different ways of holding the scissors while tying but generally gave it up after sticking myself.....in addition to discovering that it didn't speed things up much for me.

This^

Over the years, I've managed to stab myself to many times in to many different places when I keep them in hand. I lay 'em down for health reasons.:pint:

I use these:
http://hatchesmagazine.com/shop/6th-finger-fly-tying-scissors.html
I been tying with scissors in hand for well over twenty years, it doesn't save a whole lot of time but I like it a lot better than having to pick them up when I want them. Also, I just like having them at the ready.Frequent tyer showed me his pair at Sumerset where he was tying, you don't even know they're in your hand. The biggest reason for that I think is that you don't have to hold on to them or worry about them shifting to stick you they stay out of the way nicely and are always ready for a quick snip when you need them. I'm not advocating that everyone should hold on to them it works for some but not everyone. If you're doing it now, and like it but you can't find the right pair that are comfortable in hand you might try these. Mike, can't thank you enough.

Tried to tie with them in my hands and couldn't get used to it. I tie flies for among other things, relaxation. Speed is not of the essence to me.

I tie with them in my hand and save no time whatsoever, nor have I ever thought of it as a time saver. It is simply comfortable and convenient on a sloppy desk and develops a dexterity that translates to nimbleness in unhooking fish when using certain hemos that have scissor size holes and length. I do put them down for some procedures, such as wrapping and tying off parachute hackle, especially on smaller flies.

Outstanding tiers such as McPhail and, locally, Ed Shenk according to video I saw, put them down. Shenk makes a point of saying that, in fact.

I tried for a while when I thought tying was about speed. Now I tie for leisure and picking them up is just more comfortable and opens my hand up for anything else I need to do.
Besides it's easier to pick them up when I need them rather than get them off my finger if I need to put them down.

I put mine in one of two spots so I don't lose them in the clutter.

When I tie im not going for speed. I tie cause its fun and I enjoy it. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Something just occurred to me, what hand are you all holding your scissors in? I keep mine in my left hand, not the bobbin hand. Didn't know if that might make a difference to anybody.

When I first started tying over 8 years ago I did not keep the scissors in my hands. After reading AK Best "Production Fly Tying" I thought I'd give it a try and I have never gone back.

I have tried multiple types of 'thread nippers,' but found the best is a product made by Wiss.

317jI78KtIL_zpsa4d8d058.jpg

Wiss is a sewing company. These nippers are relatively inexpensive, but work great for cutting all materials. They stay sharp & the blades can be replaced or sharpened if needed. I usually use a pair of Dr. Slick hair scissors for dear hair or cutting zonkers, things that are a little tougher, but the Wiss nips will also cut these too. Here is a link to buy from Amazon: Wiss Thread Nips

I've gotten some similar nips at Joan Ann Fabrics - just their generic store brand and they worked great too. I have also tried Fiskars thread nips, which are ok, but the blades sometimes don't come together all that nice. Even if I don't have my thread nippers, I will generally keep my regular scissors in my hand.

To answer one of the other questions - I always have my scissors in my bobbin hand.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I tie with them in my hands most of the time. I keep them in my hand for the convenience of knowing where they are instead of speed. Like OP I tie for leisure.

I keep them in my bobbin hand out of habit, I also hand whip finish,
I am not the fastest tyer.

Great responses, thanks! I keep the scissors now just off the base of the vise so they are easy to pick up. Gonna still give it a go with keeping them in hand. If it works great, if not oh well.

Definitely not looking to speed things up, just have them close when I need them.

That's really what it is, handy. This works for some and not others. The thing is you've got to work through the newness of them being there to know if it works for you or not. It's kinda like shooting a bow with both eyes open, some of the people that have always closed one eye since they started have a real hard time adjusting to both eyes open. You can't try it once in a while to know if it works for you. Some are able to work through it others can't, your field of vision is so much better. But still both can be done both ways.

I do not keep my scissors in my hand when I'm tying. I'm not in that much of a hurry. It may be more important to someone who ties commercially to save a little time though.

I don't think it saves time in the way most people think. It is doesn't take that long to pick them up. But if your like me, they will not be where you think they should be and you wind up wasting time looking for them. One thing I really like about keeping my scissors in hand is that I wind up using them more often for more things. I trim stray fibers, guide half hitches, pluck out dubbing with the points etc. It works well with my style of tying, but like choice of vise or bobbin, everyone needs to find their own way.
Mike.

Back