Schuylkill River Smallmouth

Mike, what area did you survey in?

I think the decline of skook is being a bit overstated in this thread. There are plenty of smallies and of good size in the Bridgeport/conshy/Norristown area.

But with that said, the Big D >>>>>>>Skook for bronzie fishing.

Jason,
That is the isolated stretch in the lower river where you can still find them in fair numbers and where reproduction is still suitable. I don't know how it is in the stretch from Falls Bridge upstream to Flat Rock Dam anymore, however.

W Br Braandywine was surveyed from about a mi or so above the dam that is upstream from Coatesville downstream to an area that is about a mile up from the mouth. Sampling sites were about 4 mi apart throughout. You fellows may find the warmwater stream survey biologist reports on the Area 6 portion of the PFBC web page helpful as starting points for selecting waters to fish. Many WW streams have been surveyed in SE Pa in recent yrs.

Thanks for everyones replies. I'm going to give the West Branch of the Brandywine a try near Cheslen Reserve tomorrow morning. Ive tried upstream of it and only caught one so for. Parts of that creek are pretty deep and i feel should hold a lot of SMB. I just haven't found them yet, or they don't like what im offering.

Nice. My favorite stretch is right below the Embreeville Dam. Let us know how you do.

Sunday I fished from Harvey Bridge down to Embreyville Mill. Right away i cuaght a small SMB on a black slump buster. Then the water turned slow and flat until I got down to the mill. I swung streamers under the bridge hooking one but got off pretty quick. Then I noticed tons of fish rising to tricos. I proceded to hook about 5 smallies on a Al's Trico, and a few fallfish. Nothing too big, but there were ALOT of smallies rising and eager to take a dry fly.

Mike wrote:
Jason,
That is the isolated stretch in the lower river where you can still find them in fair numbers and where reproduction is still suitable. I don't know how it is in the stretch from Falls Bridge upstream to Flat Rock Dam anymore, however.

I don't know how that section is either as I mainly just stay in the section I posted about since it is 2mins from my front door and the fishing is good enough.

Surveyor, I catch almost all of my smallies on streamers down there. Interesting to hear they were rising, I'll have to get back down there soon.

Back