Schuylkill River: Continues to return from the dead: wild ST

What is reamrkable to me is that the brookies survived 100 years of degradation and are still there, that doesn't mean I think we should continue the onslought through another century by stocking and encouraging brown trout to populate the stream. Clearly though I'm in the minority here, so I'll let it go at that.

I could honestly care less if the flatties ate all the small mouth. IMO they put up a way better fight. I am hoping to see 100 pounders pulled out in the next 10 years. sorry to say it but they are here to stay. there is no way to get rid of them. my buddies and I have had 15 to 20 fish nights. the biggest I have pulled was a 42 pounder. from what I remember is pretty much the same as its always has been in the river. I think the real fish you have to look out for is the snakeheads. they are in the lower river and I have seen them destroying fish this past summer. I thought it was cool but they don't really take lures. snagging them is the way to go. they are apparently he to stay as well. so get ready to have your river taken over by invasive species. I honestly think we are ok. they are not wrecking havoc like everyone said. everything has a way of working out. JMHO

here is what eats the skuke smallies, carp, sunnies, and what ever else lives in that river.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
mouth shot

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 4
"What is reamrkable to me is that the brookies survived 100 years of degradation and are still there, that doesn't mean I think we should continue the onslought through another century by stocking and encouraging brown trout to populate the stream."

"There is nothing blocking movement of the rainbows in that stretch over the river, so in time the brookies WILL be driven out."

Fish the Upper Schuylkill, or look on Google earth: Mines and water treatment inputs... maybe they are the problem, not stocked trout?. I've never seen a brown or rainbow there, stockie or wild. Browns and rainbows are less tolerant of acidity than brookies, and brookies can barely handle the Upper Schuylkill. You may not see BT or RT on the Upper Schuylkill, but there are treatment systems for AMD and sewage. Thanks to Mike for the info on the ST!...

see below: rainbow trout "are very sensitive to water pH levels and do not do well in acidic conditions."

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/vtcritters/animals.cfm?cat=Fish&species=Trout

Schuylkill headwaters from google earth above. Also recent image from Schuylkill Action Network of treatment system in upper image being upgraded. Thanks to the people working on the AMD treatment!

Attachments

• srh.jpg
    srh.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1003024_10151632453693565_2138977560_n.jpg
    1003024_10151632453693565_2138977560_n.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 5
http://republicanherald.com/news/acid-mine-drainage-plant-reopens-schuylkill-township-1.1547705

K-bob,
I live less than 2 miles from those projects. Add in the sewer projects that have happened in the last 10 years and we may see some significant improvement on the River. The brookies I've seen are above those projects.
John

here is the mine there, airplane image 1940s, from the penn pilot website.. big mine I guess.

Attachments

• 9956783233_31c2b11f61_c.jpg
    9956783233_31c2b11f61_c.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 5
hadn't noticed this in that newspaper article : "Construction at the Bell Colliery plant started in July and was completed by RCHS Services, Troy. The $300,000 project was funded through a Clean Water Act grant administered through the state Department of Environmental Protection."

thank you PA DEP.

Great news.

11/18/13 : Tuscarora, Pa.
More evidence of improvement...
In 2002 no trout were Electrofished in 282 meters of the river. In 2013 in the same area about 150 wild brook trout were captured in 304 meters of the river, also in one electrofishing pass.

Mike wrote:
11/18/13 : Tuscarora, Pa.
More evidence of improvement...
In 2002 no trout were Electrofished in 282 meters of the river. In 2013 in the same area about 150 wild brook trout were captured in 304 meters of the river, also in one electrofishing pass.

Great news, Mike. Maybe this discovery will make even Chaz rejoice and appreciate all that has been done to clean up the river and reverse some of the abuses the River has suffered over the last century, or so.

ST's Chaz........wild/native ones.

That is great news... A real success story
Bill A

ST = salmo trutta = brown trout

is my guess.

Keep up the good work Mike this is awesome stuff.

NedZeppelin wrote:
ST = salmo trutta = brown trout
is my guess.
Keep up the good work Mike this is awesome stuff.

Ned,
In PFBC jargon, "ST" stands for brook trout (ie. "speckled trout"). This can cause some confusion when fish population studies are discussed on this forum.

I've often wondered why PFBC has taken that abbreviation, I no of no one in PA that call brookies 'Speckled Trout.' By my way of thinking that's archaic, and a more southerly name. I'd use the initials of the scientific names.

why not use BKT, oh wait thats burger king trout

RF
Raccoon Food
Sorry I had to bring that up.

So then...LT = lightning trout?

I've never fished that far upstream, but it's good news for the skuke for sure.

Back