Saw These on Deer Creek in MD

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So I went out to scope some areas of Deer Creek that I have not fished before - looking for smallmouth. I didn't realize it, but the water was up, and still low visibility from the storms earlier in the week. When I got to the stream, the first thing I saw was these big white mayflies. Then I saw a sulphur, then some olives - all told, I think I saw probably 5 different species. I could not get pictures of all of them.

I included the blurry pic (taken before I switched to macro setting) so you could get a sense of the size as it related to my finger nail.

Are these the same "white flies" I hear about that smallmouth go crazy for on the big rivers?

Attachments

• White Mayfly1.JPG
    White Mayfly1.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 13
  • White Mayfly2.JPG
    White Mayfly2.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 7
Thats some sort of Cahill spinner, female, or some other obscure Stenonema species. Or perhaps in the Heptageniidae family like the march brown is now.

Clear, mottled wings, barred legs, two tails.

The White Fly (Epheron leukon) is all white with smokey white wings. And since they molt into spinners in mid flight immediately after hatching its dark or dusk when you see them.....and you don't have a handfull of them either.

It's a cream cahill. Maccaffertium genus. Heptageniidae family. Yes, March Browns are in the same genus.

Back