San Juan and Squirmy Wormy

jifigz wrote:
I have more or less given up on fishing 2 flies at once altogether. I always feel bad when a trout takes my lead nymph and then the dropper nymph hooks into the fish's flesh while it is thrashing in the net. Anymore, if I'm going nymphs it is one and high sticking/tight lining or an indicator and if I'm fishing dries it is generally just one dry fly. Maybe I'm selling myself short and missing some fish but I like it that way and I'm content.

^ understood.

I try to keep my flies 20" +/- apart and seldom foul hook or doubt hook a fish. It does happen on occasion, though.

I like the squirmy worm. I use red and light brown. The brown is very realistic for a small nightcrawler imitation. I've had fish strike the end of a squirmy and miss the hook. You get a really squirmy strike! That's usually how they tear off. I'm also a fan of the mop fly. I've caught some of my biggest fish on mops. Erie Steelhead love the mop!

jifigz wrote:

I have more or less given up on fishing 2 flies at once altogether.

Anymore, if I'm going nymphs it is one and high sticking/tight lining or an indicator ....

Maybe I'm selling myself short and missing some fish but I like it that way and I'm content.

That's me as well.

I'd rather miss an occasional opportunity to maybe catch a fish on the second fly, in exchange for easier and cleaner fishing.

Squirmy beats out a San Juan 9/10 times. If you’re gonna tie a worm pattern smaller than a size 16 then the chanile works better. But most cases I never go wrong with a 14 squirmy with a 20 zebra midge below it.

Back