San Juan and Squirmy Wormy

jifigz

jifigz

I know that both of these flies are heavily frowned upon but I'll admit, I'm a huge fan of the San Juan worm and it is without a doubt one of my most productive patterns on mountain freestoners. I like flies that are simple as well. Now, I also basically only have faith in bright pink and it's my go to color. So, the question is what color do you folks find to be super effective. Then, the next question is, how much more effective is the squirmy wormy than the San Juan? I have never fished one and the thought of it even kind of makes me cringe, but the general consensus is that they are fish catching machines.

I like brown on the dropper tag sometimes, but I am not afraid of the pink, myself. I have used squirmies for stockies, and I don't think they are as durable as the SJ. Too many times, one end or the other tears off. The squirmy jig can still work, but then the other comes off, too, and you have yourself a sqirmigon. So, I guess I prefer the OG, San Juan.

Trout like worms, so tie on a worm. Just open your loop and use a soft rod. Split-shot and bobber are optional.

What's the difference between the two patterns?

JackM wrote:
Trout like worms, so tie on a worm. Just open your loop and use a soft rod. Split-shot and bobber are optional.

Thanks Jack! I think that I'll just stop fly fishing altogether and start drowning redworms. I'll definitely be using a bobber and a Shakespeare pole. So long PAflyfish!

Troutbert, the San Juan is micro chenille and the other one is like a rubber worm. I admire the San Juan and it produces for me when other patterns have failed but I've never stooped to the squirmy wormy level.

I have only fished the San Juan worm once on the Fisherman's Paradise section of Spring Creek outside of State College. It worked well for me.

Pink in color.

I know nothing about the squirmies.

jifigz wrote:

...I also basically only have faith in bright pink and it's my go to color. So, the question is what color do you folks find to be super effective...

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Tips-and-Tricks/Fly-color/7,48655,701545.html

link

For some reason, the link wants to keep breaking at the comma.

Just copy the entire thing, then open the linked thread.

I've never fished a SqW but I have long used (and love) the SJW.

My go-to colors are hot pink in stained, heavy water in early spring - just devastating on stocked trout and the wilds like it too.

When flows are a bit lower and water clear, I like a SJW more in the flesh color tone and maybe tied with an orange of hot pink collar.

The pink SJW is deadly for steelhead,had some banner days with it!

Dear jifigz,

Trout eat minnies so it's OK to fish streamers, right?

They eat worms too, therefore it's OK to fish a fly rod worm imitation too.

I like Fred Bridge's IPW which is hot pink chenille tied over a lump of orange glo-bug yarn. It looks just like a regular worm except for the colors and the hot pink and orange make it easy to track in reasonably clear water so you won't have to use a bobber! ;-)

I also like chamois worms which are even easier to tie. Just wrap a thin strip of your old car washing chamois to a hook. You need to spit tobacco spit on it to get it to sink, but once you do that you'll know why they work.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dave_W wrote:

My go-to colors are hot pink in stained, heavy water in early spring - just devastating on stocked trout and the wilds like it too.

Dave, I fished East Licking Creek yesterday and Kish today and on both streams the hot pink San Juan was the best fly I could find in my boxes. Water was stained on both streams..

ok, I'll open up this can of squirmy wormies...Do they still have that regulation about MOLDED PLASTIC FACSIMILES?

BTW san juans are great in spring creeks too. I have them but don't use them often. I also agree with the steelhed assessment.

I have fished the San Juan for many years and will not go back since I discovered the Squirmy. I also prefer the hot pink and although it is not my "go to" fly, I have had some great days fishing it. This pattern seems to fish well and is very durable. I have caught multiple fish on the same worm without damage to the material. Now, forgetting and leaving them out in the sun or hot sun, well, that's a whole other story.

I would be happy to tie you a few and send them your way if you wanna try them out as I have plenty of squirmy material laying around.

Tight Lines !!

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 12
Out4Trout wrote:
I have fished the San Juan for many years and will not go back since I discovered the Squirmy. I also prefer the hot pink and although it is not my "go to" fly, I have had some great days fishing it. This pattern seems to fish well and is very durable. I have caught multiple fish on the same worm without damage to the material. Now, forgetting and leaving them out in the sun or hot sun, well, that's a whole other story.

I would be happy to tie you a few and send them your way if you wanna try them out as I have plenty of squirmy material laying around.

Tight Lines !!

So you are obviously one that believes the squirmy is obviously that much better at catching fish than the San Juan. And if you're offering I'll take a few. PM me if you're serious. If they prove to be better than the San Juan then I'll definitely be adding some squirmy material to my tying boxes.

Squirmies for me are much more effective than San Juan’s. I only carry pink squirmies now. After two or three fish the flies usually fall apart but imo much more effective than San Juans. Love using it as the upper fly on a two nymph setup. In the fall trail an egg behind it...complete junk fly set up but it’s a great combo. Fortunately I grew up fishing worms using gear so being judged by veteran fly fishers about it being a fly or not isn’t particularly high on my priority list.

Josh,
In my opinion the Squirmy is far superior to the San Juan. I think it is their movement in the water. I don't think they are as durable as the San Juan but that is secondary to their effectiveness. If you tie your own durability is not an issue as they are quick and easy to tie. I prefer the hot pink color, and normally use them as a dropper off a wooly bugger. Let us know the results of your trial.

Josh your a smallmouth guy you know rubber is better. I've never tried the squirmy just might have to give it a go.

Mwheaps32 wrote:
Josh your a smallmouth guy you know rubber is better. I've never tried the squirmy just might have to give it a go.

I bet that the squirmy would tear it up on smallmouths, too. Nightcrawlers are a much more effective hair for smallmouth bass than most people realize.

jifigz wrote:
Mwheaps32 wrote:

I bet that the squirmy would tear it up on smallmouths, too. Nightcrawlers are a much more effective hair for smallmouth bass than most people realize.

Oh yes smallmouth don't let any worms drift through the feeding zone. Now getting off topic here light tackle with a squirmy for smallmouth sounds exciting definitely gonna be giving that a try.

Back