Saltwater Jam, NJ Shore (Island Beach State Park), 21-22 Oct

I still actually have the rod rigged up with a deciever atm, started with a clouser, then surf candy (figured I'd try something without weight to get used to surf a bit) then the deciever. I left it rigged to go back out but dinner plans and time ran out. I want to hit somewhere and practice my casting and maybe upgrade gear too. I know we might head down to look at a different place to stay at maybe later this month or next and I will probably take the rod, maybe let others look, and I'll fish.

Coming from Wilmington, DE to spend the day Saturday. Anyone want to carpool?

As it stands about a week out....things look decent. Weather forecast is for sunny or partly cloudy with 6 MPH winds on Fri and 11 MPH out of the NE for Saturday. Good news. If we can avoid any storms this week and see the coastline under somewhat stable conditions... it will help.

Here are the tides:
FRI:
High: 7:06am and 7:14pm
Low: 1:42am and 1:50pm

SAT:
High: 8:05am and 8:17pm
Low: 2:41am and 2:57pm

Recent reports for the IBSP area have been slow the past couple days due to muddy water and choppy rough surf - but improving. The beaches were stupid with small bluefish until recently and the good news is all forms of bait have appeared in very heavy numbers. We should see a bigger class of bluefish any day now and with water temps in the mid 60s bass should become more active as well.
Lookin good. :)

Becker, I have the reel for you,
I need fast set of wheels to get me there.

picked up an intermediate line today...i'll admit i'm pretty psyched for this.

Not going to be able to make this jam...I am in for the Sandy Hook jam in Nov. Hopefully see you guys then. Good luck!

Just a side note - if you haven't already seen it - Fredrick may not be able to make it for the Sandy Hook jam. Keep an eye on the forums for more info on Sandy Hook.

We're good to go for this weekend. Keep an eye on this particular thread for any last minute changes but, as of now, we're in the glide path. See yuh at Bum Roger's on Friday evening.

Dave is right http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Warm-Water---Salt-Water-Fly-Fishing/Sandy-Hook-Jam-Update/16,21905.html

I will be down there on Saturday morning. I booked a room at the Windjammer for Sat. night. I will be fishing Sat. late afternoon/evening and Sunday morning. I won't be able to make it down on Friday night. I hope to meet up with a few of you at some point. I am bringing along a few bait guys with me and I will be sure to break out the spin rod if nothing is happening with the flies.

I may kayak the back bay on Sunday if anyone is interested in tagging along. I know a spot or two in the bay that has produced small snapper blues for me before, but it is hit or miss. A bit of a paddle to get there though . . .

Dave,
Are you only staying one night? Were you able to convince any "Old Salts" to go along and show us a thing or two?

Rob,
I was originally planning on heading home Saturday evening but, as of today, it looks like I'll stay over on Sat night and fish Sunday morning. I don't plan on bringing my kayak as I prefer to fish beaches in the fall. It does look like we're in for some decent kayaking weather though. If you're around on Sat am you should be able to link up with us at the times listed in the OP.
I haven't tallied up the planned attendees yet but I don't plan on bringing anyone other than myself.

Check your PM

FYI:

You stated the Windjammer was $50 a night. When my brother-in-law booked his room on Monday he was quoted $60 per night. When I booked my room on Tuesday I was quoted $70 per night . . . It seems like they just make up whatever prices they want this time of year.

I'm not going to be able to make it either. I want to but just not so much in the cards.

I'm still planning on meeting up for breakfast Saturday morning, then spending the day on Saturday. Looking forward to this.

Good luck this weekend guys catch one for me .

http://www.aswf.info/images/BLUEFISH_EAT_BUNKER.mov

Please note a minor change in the itinerary:
The early Saturday link-up at 5:30am has been changed to 6:30am. Otherwise, everything else is still locked in.

EDIT: The surf is still pretty rough and windy as of today but water temps are down to 65 and, hopefully, in the next 24 hrs things will settle. Fishing reports have been good this week with lots of blues and big ones. Yesterday Bob Popovics (see Fredrick's "candyman" below) wrote that big blues were right in the wash at Area 23.

Lookin good. :)

Talked to the candy man and he said keep an eye open for his van on the beach he will be there this weekend and love to meet some of you .

FI, i plan on meeting up early at 6:30...are we actually meeting at the hotel? or down on the surf?

Looking forward to this! Finished up some last minute flies...big and small.

Attachments

• flies.jpg
    flies.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Nice ties Jay what is the material in that last fly ?

thanks fred, the big one is just white superhair. i just colored the back with a sharpie. aside from that there's a little flash and the eyes.

Jay,
We'll be meeting at the hotel - I'll be on the outside by my car (black and silver Mustang). I look forward to meeting you and the crew.

I'm heading out shortly and will be offline.

Dave W

Back