Saltwater Jam, NJ Shore (Island Beach State Park), 21-22 Oct

Fredrick wrote:
If you join me on my vacation I have some extra's I can give you plus I was planing on tying up some sand ells up for everyone who comes last two years sand eels have been the dominant baitfish

Thanks!

Here are some pics from Ibsp. I have yet to get a striper there so I hope I do this time
RodEbay005.jpg

IBSP002.jpg

clouser015.jpg

26_4b07f5403bf30.jpg

26_4b07f53235e45.jpg

What are the licensing requirements to fish? Would one need to register with NOAA?

(Edit: I see you covered this in the fine print :-?)

No license needed. Yes - you'll need to register.

This looks like an incredible opportunity and I know you'll do a superduperfabulous job organizing/running it. I'll have to check out my schedule and see what I can work out...

Looks like the steelhead jams are getting a run for their money this year!

Here's a nice article about Bob Popovics and fishing at IBSP:

http://midcurrent.com/books/the-blitz-the-jersey-shore-no-not-that-one/

Is this Jam beginner friendly? I've casted the fly rod in the salt a little bit on vacation, but nothing serious. I'm interested in attending and hopefully learning from someone more experienced, but I don't want to get in the way of the more experienced guys either.

Nice article Dave next time I talk to the candyman I have a lot more to talk about never knew he was a marine :pint:
Bob Pop is a great man it is always a pleasure to talk to him he is always very willing to give advice . The other man in the pic is
Gene Quigly he owns shore catch guide service great guy just like Bob Pop and is just as willing to give info .

SandyHook003-1.jpg

Fredrick,
Yep, BP was a Marine. I know he served in Vietnam although I don't know much about his military background than that. You'll have to chat him up.

GRP,
Absolutely beginner friendly. I'll be conducting a brief demonstartion on Saturday morning for folks that aren't familiar with salt FFing or IBSP. The original post has some more detail. I'm certainly no expert and don't know IBSP like the locals, but I'm more than happy to spend some time with beginners and show you the surf fishing ropes.

Good for you guys, if I was closer I would go.

Nothing beats cutting down the learning curve by a few years-when you fish with experienced fly anglers.

GRP wrote:
Is this Jam beginner friendly? I've casted the fly rod in the salt a little bit on vacation, but nothing serious. I'm interested in attending and hopefully learning from someone more experienced, but I don't want to get in the way of the more experienced guys either.

GRP,

Most of the guys attending are trout guys with heavy rods and high hopes. :lol:

The SW Jam I will be a great chance to give the salt a try and learn some stuff. Ditto for Frederick's SW Jam II.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'd like to try to make this. Have to make sure I'll have the gear I need to be able to fish this. Shouldn't be a problem.

afishinado wrote:

Most of the guys attending are trout guys with heavy rods and high hopes. :lol:

Ha! So true....

The best part about saltwater fishing is that the fish typically don't discriminate - if they're there, they'll hit! No delicate presentations required and if you're throwing a #2 Clouser in chartreuse/white instead of a 1/0 in gray/white, most likely it won't matter!

Here is a good read about fishing for stripers

http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/striper_ed_Ch1.htm

Looks like I'll be driving over for the day on Saturday. Planning on meeting up for breakfast. Really looking forward to this JAM.

Sounds like fun. I have been neglecting the salt for a while now. IBSP is sick and I caught my best striper the first time I went there...
I'm going to try to make it at least for the day on Saturday...

nice this is what i was thinking about proposing we do in the fall a couple a months ago, im glad someone got it together, i am gonna try my best to get down there, it really all depends on how my work schedule ends up. hopefully it doesnt end up like the jamboree and we had a death in the family so i couldnt go, but as luck would have it i took a day of that weekend aand drove down to capemay to meet a guy and killed the stripers and blues that day. anyway i am looking forward to this one...

I might do a day trip. Also got some nice peanuts with me not a lot but a good amount and like 50 clousers.

I am serously considering this jam. Even though I just got back from LBI and didn't do much on the fly down there, I am will to try it. I did try one morning, and the incoming tide whooped me good, should have had a stripping basket and waves pummeled me nicely. Grabbed the spinning rod and a bit later it calmed down. At that time though more people started showing up on the beach since chowderfest weekend and was watching the back cast room. Like gfen told me, just wait til you cast a weight fly and sinking line like that...was an experience.

Back