Saltwater Jam, NJ Shore (Island Beach State Park), 21-22 Oct

F

Fishidiot

On October 21st-22nd this year we’ll have the first Paflyfish Saltwater Jam at the Jersey Shore at Island Beach State Park (IBSP). Currently, there’s already a salt jam planned by Fredrick for Nov 12th at Sandy Hook, which is further up the coast, so folks now have two opportunities to hit the beach with fellow Paffers depending on which date works best for them or which section of beach they prefer (heck, attend both if you can!).

Here’s the itinerary:

Fri 21 Oct:
7:30pm: We’ll link up at Bum Rogers Tavern and Crab House in Seaside Park for dinner, drinks, discussion, and the usual jam camaraderie (I’ll have a table reserved that seats about ten). Bum Rogers is easy to spot – look for the flashing red crab on the outside front of the restaurant. It’s just before the gate into IBSP.

Sat 22 Oct:
6:30am Link up at Windjammer Hotel for morning surf fishing (for the early birds).
http://www.windjammermotorinn.com/index_main.htm

7:30am Link up at Betty and Nick’s Bait and Tackle for breakfast.
http://www.bettyandnicks.com/fish.shtml

10:00am Link up in the park at the upper bathing beach parking lot where I’ll conduct, for those interested, a brief beach tour/talk to orient beginning anglers new to surf fishing to the area and some tips on what to look for and how to fish the surf with a fly rod. This talk will cover the very basic fundamentals of how to read a beach, how to fish in waves and the wash, bird action, baitfish, and some other basic tips. After this talk, you’re off on your own for the rest of the day. I usually pack a lunch and hike/fish my way down to the North Jetty and you’re welcome to join me or you might care to explore other areas by yourself or in typical small groups per jam fashion. You’re on your own for dinner and/or evening events.
Some of you may care to stick around for Sunday or head home Saturday – for those who wish to link up for Sunday, I recommend a repeat of the times and locations listed above (or you can, of course, arrange whatever you want)

We’ll be spending most of the day in Island Beach State Park (IBSP).
If you’ve never been there before, this is a remote barrier beach about 12 miles in length and is probably the most popular surf fishing destination along the NJ shore. Unfortunately, there is no camping in the park. Daily entrance fees cost $5 per car (pay as you drive in the gate). The “North Jetty” is at the very bottom end at Barnegat Inlet and popular with fly rodders. You’ll need cleated soles to walk the jetty (don’t even think otherwise). The jetty tends to be crowded on weekends and requires a walk of over a mile to get to if you don’t have a beach permit to drive. These permits are available for $50 for three days if you have a 4WD however, if you’re unfamiliar with beach driving, I’d caution against trying this as beach driving requires some special gear, deflated tires and some practice. Personally, I prefer walking beaches anyway. There are also wade-able flats along the west side of the island in Barnegat Bay. I usually prefer to hit the bayside flats in springtime and prefer to fish “out front” in the fall but the flats are fun and can be productive in October. This is an especially fun area if you’ve got a kayak. Oyster Creek Channel is a hotspot and less than a two mile paddle (I like this area at low tide and get out and wade).
http://www.islandbeachnj.org/index.html

Food, Lodging, and Stuff: Convenience stores are somewhat spotty on the island. I usually pack food in with me. A good diner for breakfast/lunch is 3C’s Luncheonette. John and the crew at Betty and Nicks serve good food too and also have a nice tackle shop (they have fly tying supplies). Check their website for daily updates on water conditions and fishing reports. I plan to stay at the Windjammer Hotel which is $50 per night. I was unable to get a group rate when I talked to them last week so by all means feel free to check other lodging options. The Windjammer is within walking distance of the beach and easy to find. NJ does not require a saltwater fishing license but you’ll need to register online, which is free and can be done via link from Betty/Nick’s website. When you drive on to the island and head south down through town, Betty and Nicks’ is on the right, Windjammer is on the left, and Bum Rogers is on the right just before the road reaches the park gate.
Drive time from central PA is 3-4 hours. If you’re coming from the east side of the state, it’s probably 1.5-2 hours time. If you’re coming only on Saturday: note there are three morning link up times posted above (if you don’t have cell #s of friends). IBSP is a large area with miles of beach so if you want to find us, we’ll try to stick closely to the link up times.

Fish: We’ll be targeting striped bass and bluefish. Late Oct is prime time for peanut bunker (baitfish) and hopefully there will be active fish close to shore (this is always a crap shoot with surf fishing). Fluke may still be around. False albacore hit IBSP every autumn but this is very tough to time right and usually the albies are spotty or gone by late Oct so seeing them is unlikely. For gear: fish with what yuh brung. I recommend a 9 or 10WT rod and a stripping basket, waders, some wire leaders for bluefish, a basic assortment of flies (I mostly fish Clouser Minnows), sunscreen, hat, pliers, etc. A 7 or 8WT rod is fine for the back bay but an 8WT is on the light side for the surf and jetty. I always bring spin gear to the shore in case heavy wind makes FFing impossible.

In the event of very inclement weather, check this thread for cancellation. Keep in mind the Nov 12th date with Fredrick as an alternative.

Here’s hoping for calm weather and blitzing fish. Hope to see yuh there.
Dave W

I might jump down for a day

For fly fishing behind the maintenence shack and Govenors house can't be beat, some of the best water is there. One of the best spots for hooking abies within 10 feet of beach...others are Giiikins, beach houses, areas 7,11,17 and 23

Does sound awesome-

jdaddy wrote:
This sounds pretty awesome.

MEH he doesn't have any fish pics :pint:

Fredrick wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
This sounds pretty awesome.

MEH he doesn't have any fish pics :pint:

Ya, but he has put together a JAM versus a "Freds on vacation let's meet up" party. LOL.

Seriously, I would like to think I will make one of these.

Your right . I will have some things planned maybe a lunch or dinner meeting maybe some lodging I just wanted to get the date out there . When me and Dave talked about having a salt Jam he didn't seem to optimistic about his work schedule so he wasn't going to throw one at the time. So I worked with what I had thinking there wasn't going to be one . So I hope you can enjoy my vacation with me :p

Which one is closer to Atlantic City? Cause that's where my free rooms are located.

IBSP I believe sandy hook is more north

I'm considering this trip. It sounds closer than I thought.

calendar is marked...would be awesome to make both of these salt trips.

I am in for this trip. I have fished IBSP many times from the beach and in the back bay with my kayak, but I have yet to get into any stripers. I was planning to take a few trips down there this fall anyway, so this works out perfectly.

I have my peanut bunker, sand eels and Gurgler flies all tied up and ready to go. I am just hoping to find some feeding fish one of these times. That is the hard part.

I will probably bring my kayak as well and fish the back bay.

Rob

Gonna try to make both.... Working on getting gear together ....

I plan on trying to make this. Trowpa, you know you can use my Scott A3 if you need to. However, you will need to find a reel.

SBecker wrote:
I plan on trying to make this. Trowpa, you know you can use my Scott A3 if you need to. However, you will need to find a reel.

Thanks! I'm working on long term options (as described in my pm) But i'm not sure how quickly i'd get that all done. So its good to know i have at least a rod to use in case...

I'm really looking forward to this as i've wanted to try the long rod in the salt for years!

If the fish are there, you don't need anything more than clousers in all your usual colors along with deceivers. Rarely are the fish picky that time of year, but I have seen it when they are on small sand eels.

Now, even though this is a fly outing, it is very wise to have one spin rod just in case the fish are out of reach or the winds are just too bad. Sure you can move to the back and maybe get out of the winds, but in the fall you wanna be out front. Hucking metal and soft plastics can often make or break a day at IBSP.

Can anyone recommend a good source to get a basic selection of flies for the salt prior to these jams (ok..jam and joining frederick's vacation)

I have no saltwater related fly tying materials (SS hooks, synthetics, etc) and would rather buy some to start with...figure out what i use most of and then buy the materials, learn the patterns as needed to replenish.

edit: (fyi - checked out my usual haunt for flies i don't want to tie - flystop - and they don't seem to have much saltwater to my eyes)

Thanks

trowpa wrote:
I have no saltwater related fly tying materials (SS hooks, synthetics, etc) and would rather buy some to start with...figure out what i use most of and then buy the materials, learn the patterns as needed to replenish.

Salt patterns you'll need for these get-togethers on the NJ shore can be very simple. I'd buy three or four packs of synthetic fish hair in white, green, yellow, and black; some salt hooks (you might be able to get suitable hooks at WalMart in a pinch); some dumbell eyes for Clousers. Some white saddle hackle is useful for wing material too. With these basics you can tie Clousers, baitfish patterns, sand eels etc. Most of the flies I use are about 3-4" in length, green over white color. In Fredrick's thread there's a nice post from Sandly showing some basic salt patterns. I don't use poppers much on a fly rod but I usually carry a few.

If you join me on my vacation I have some extra's I can give you plus I was planing on tying up some sand ells up for everyone who comes last two years sand eels have been the dominant baitfish

Back