Salmon/Steelhead Reel

albatross

albatross

I'm likely going up to fish the Salmon River this fall with Bruno for King Salmon in the 20-30 pound range. I need a serious new reel for this and I also hope to use the same reel on my 10 foot 7 weight Steelhead rig for Erie.

I'm looking at two different reels right now, but I would consider other suggestions. The discontinued Lamson Velocity 3.5 for 8/9 weight can be had on ebay for $155 and the Okuma Helios for 8/9 weight can be had on ebay for $145. Both of these reels weigh around 6.2 ounces and both have a reputation for a good drag.

Which way should I go on this? One of these or some other reel?

Alby - You deserve one of these.

Yes, they're brutally expensive, but they are the best. With a Super 5N, and a spare standard arbor spool, you'd be covered for 5wt to 8/9wt lines. Life is too short to settle for less. :-D

I fish the Lamson.
Good reel and the drag will handle any of those runaway
trains.

Wet

I have landed some large fish, including steelhead, muskies, stripers and blues using a Battenkill Mid-arbor. The drag is smooth and it holds plenty of line. I have not caught salmon ith it so I can't say how it would hold up to Kings. Good value at around $120, have been using mine quite a while with no problems, despite my poor maintenance habits.

I've got an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock V reel that is very smooth.
Has a nice drag, and holds a ton of backing.
And the price, if I remember correctly, was right around the range you're looking at

I have a Cabelas SLA that I bought for half off and I wish to heck I'da picked up an Orvis BBS instead (for 10 bucks more), so I'll second that recommendation.

Boyer

Maybe try Poor Richard's in Erie (or the like).

It is after the season for steel and many more months away from the next runs-maybe a bargin could be had? I know they had some good looking setups.

The reel(Orvis Large Arbor) I have works good for Erie and for lighter saltwater. Might consider one that will also perform in saltwater.

I would recommend the Lamson Velocity. I was playing with the Kings on my 7wt with a Velocity 3 last fall and the reel was awesome.

Lamson- has a great drag and the Hard Alox finish is super. I've got that on my 7wt and fish it for Steelies with confidence.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I won an E-Bay auction for the discontinued Lamson Velocity, so I'm good to go on the reel. I got it delivered for under $140, so it was a pretty good bargain. It should serve me well for the forseeable future.

Congrats on your great deal! I think you'll be very pleased with it. Worst case scenario you have a reel that you can easily sell if you don't like it or a solid backup. Don't think it will come to that, but you certainly have options.

A loomis venture can be had for 100 bucks flat. I have landed many salmon, and a few less than many steel with it. Great reel for the price, and it looks good.

Back