Salmon River

looks like you tore them up.........Good job Ryan

In case anyone is thinking of a trip this weekend.....they just raised the water to 900 cfs.I guess they are expecting ALOT of rain 'cause from what I hear the pond is only half full.

They don't want another 17,000cfs catastrophe...

Going up Saturday night to fish Sunday if they reduce the flow. Projected flow is posted at 3:00 PM the day prior.

I wish I could have made the salmon run this year. Looks like it was not too crowded in 2012. CIRCUS!!

Just don't fish the circus, its that easy. Plenty of other places with fish and no people.

THEY SHOULD LIMIT THE DAILY NUMBER OF FISHERMAN THERE...TOO MANY PEOPLE. ITS LIKE A MINE FIELD.

No they shouldn't. If they did that, they would move around and explore. I don't need them leaving the SR.

You have a point Shane... either that or less folks would travel to fish there. That video Krayfish posted was just ridiculous... really makes the fishery look terrible.

krayfish wrote:
I wish I could have made the salmon run this year. Looks like it was not too crowded in 2012. CIRCUS!!

Best part of that video...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 3
After all of my bad mouthing.... I'm heading up after work on Thur for steelhead. Just trying to get Josh to catch one this year. 48 hours and I'm out.

I hope you fall face first into dead salmon. Lol

It can't smell any worse than standing arms length from you. Zing!

That's man smell, I know you don't know what that smells like.

Much in the same way you aren't familiar with the scent of a woman. Stop me if you've heard these before. Don't forget to tip your server.

LOL, let me know when you want to meet up in State College with the nephew. Maybe we can get DaveS to join us.

Maybe midges in February or olives a little later than that. We'll get the little guy out quite a bit in 2013. He's already asking about floating the D and going for the salmon circus next year.

First few fish are being caught in DSR the last few days...

Heading up with my uncle Sept 22-23. Please forgive my ignorance on the subject as I've only been up there once when I was about 17. And that was with a spinning rod bouncing egg sacs off the bottom. Needless to say, I didn't do very well lol. Will these salmon actually hit a swung fly or an egg pattern? I've read that the males will in fact eat the eggs, but not females. I've also read that they will hit out of aggression. However, I've also heard that the only way to catch them is "flossing" or "lifting" which just sounds like a nice way of intentionally snagging them in the face? Can anyone with any experience please shed some light on this for me?

Don't listen to any of that junk. Fish take baits and flies ALL the time up there. The only people who say that are those who aren't very good at catching fish and they resort to those tactics.

In 1 hole in 2 days last year I hooked probably 60-70 fish and probably about 40 were kings. I used estaz eggs and simple rabbit zonker streamers. Colors turn off and on all the time up there so be prepared. I have about 10 different colored estaz eggs and streamers in white, black, red, and chartreuse worked well for both the salmon and the steelhead. Chartreuse especially for the steel.

Back