Salmon River advice???

advise for salmon river = go west !

Sandfly is dead on...

avoid it all together and go west LOL

WNY tribs...

If you go on Bing.com/maps in bird's eye mode...you can see the guide Becker mentioned...because he was fish the days that the photos were taken...just sayin

3wt7x,
I was just up last weekend and could probably offer some decent advice...
Before we get into that...I recall asking you for advice on the savage and NB about 3 or so years ago. I did not receive any response...did you get that PM?

PhilC,

I do not remember receiving that PM, and I have happily responded to multiple others regarding Maryland streams, so I cannot imagine that if I saw it, I did not respond to it. I apologize regardless.

No need to provide any details if they come on a quid pro quo basis. The others that responded have provided some great information, and I am sure that you don't have anything that will blow my mind...

my trip was cancelled at the last minute, i was literally all packed up and ready to go, but my Dad in London had a massive heart attack and has been touch and go all week.

Thankfully he is now stable, which is a blessing.

The DSR were very understanding, and i might get another shot in early december if the weather is mild enough (36F ish).

cheers

Mark.

3wt7X wrote:
PhilC,

I do not remember receiving that PM, and I have happily responded to multiple others regarding Maryland streams, so I cannot imagine that if I saw it, I did not respond to it. I apologize regardless.

No need to provide any details if they come on a quid pro quo basis. The others that responded have provided some great information, and I am sure that you don't have anything that will blow my mind...

Cool no worries, figured it didn't go through...
Unless they get some rain Id stay up river, start at altmar and work down. Once you find fish, cover water in more detail. UFZ can be a sleeper too.

Just wanna say thanks for all the info you guys put up in this thread. I am looking forward to my trip up there next Sunday through Wednesday which weather-wise at the moment has a forecasted warm-up (cha ching). This is my second time up there but not this late. Last time I was there was early-mid October 2012 and the SR lacked any significant amounts of chrome but its was still amazing. I think this time around I will also include some trib exploring.

Don't waste your time on the tribs...there's no(very little) water in them.

If you have the time tie some San Juan worms in chartreuse, red, & fluor. orange.

You also might want to bring your snowshoes...the lake effect snow machine might be turned on.

Fish between Altmar & Pineville.

Thanks Brad! I have never really given SJ worms a chance. I will twist a couple up if I find the time. Yeah I am staying at Maple Grove near Pineville so I hope to get a good feel for the mid river which I have very little knowledge of.

Buy snow shoes and go. If you don't get stuck in snow up to your neck, there will be a quick melt and it will be blown out. Like I said, GO GO GO. You'll then be able to share with your grandchildren your trip (aka the dumbest thing you ever did). LMAO.

Current conditions:

Fair 21°F
Humidity59%
Wind Speed SW 14 G 22 mph
Barometer 30.14 in
Dewpoint 9°F
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill 8°F
Last Update on 19 Nov 8:54 am EST

Special alerts:

Hazardous Weather Conditions
Lake Effect Snow Warning is in effect until November 19, 03:00 PM EST
Lake Effect Snow Warning in effect from November 20, 04:00 PM EST until November 21, 06:00 PM EST

Pulaski NY 7 Day Forecast

Today
Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30%

High: 27 °F

Tonight
Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%

Low: 21 °F

Thursday
Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40%

High: 30 °F

Thursday Night

Heavy Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 100%

Low: 21 °F

Friday

Heavy Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 100%

High: 30 °F

Friday Night

Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30%

Low: 18 °F

Saturday

Partly Sunny

High: 37 °F

Saturday Night

Chance Showers Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%

Low: 34 °F

Sunday

Rain Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 70%

Rain Likely High: 50 °F

^ This is at least post of the day if not month. LMAO too!

High of 50 on Sunday sounds pretty nice.

Seems perfect to me! They'll be lock jaw till I get there.

Thanks for all the advise on the Salmon. We had a good trip, and I will throw a report up when I get back from Ohio. I got to meet skeeter, which was also good. The fishing was slow, but good enough to keep you casting!!!

As a follow up, we had a great trip... We arrived in the early afternoon last Sunday, and the water was rising with all the melt off. The bite was slow on Sunday and Monday, and we fished in the Upper and Lower Fly Zones. We both had hook ups each day, and a great time was had. Tuesday, fishing really picked up along with the water levels. I believe that it jumped from 500 on Sunday to 1700 cfs on Tuesday. We had a nice older gentleman explain the fishery a little bit more to us, with regards to getting our fly into the stike zone, and we ended up with about 15 hookups on Tuesday on eggs and nymphs. Here are some pictures!!! I could not believe the weather for upstate NY in late November (two 70 degree days and a 50 degree day)

Attachments

• SR2.jpg
    SR2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 2
  • SR3.jpg
    SR3.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2
  • SR6.jpg
    SR6.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SR8.jpg
    SR8.jpg