Salmon Fly...again

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

My latest attempt at a "full dress" salmon fly, still based on the Irish flag. I like the way this one came out, but I'm still a relative newbie to these, so I'll accept some criticism.

Attachments

• irishsalmon.jpg
    irishsalmon.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 18
Nice job sniper! This one's much more complex than the ones you poster earlier and defintely shows improvement. On the plus side, your tag and ribbing are good and placed on the right spot on the hook shank. The throat (black hackle) is also good and shows uniform splaying and density. Best of all, your married wing looks great (married wings have always been tough for me).
Areas where there could be a bit of improvement: The golden pheasant tips in the tail are a bit uneven - you can fix this by using a small hair stacker to even the tips. The biggest flaw is the excessive length of the golden pheasant crests...although there's really no hard and fast rule on this. On the bright side, you got the upturned tail crest to meet nicely the downturned crest over the top of the wing (this is difficult to affect and be-devils a lot of folks when they start tying these things). You want the two tips to just barely touch each other and you seem to have nailed it. I think getting these pheasant crests right is the hardest part of salmon fly tying. If these crests extended a bit less and ended a bit closer to the hook bend (just slightly beyond it) the proportions would be closer to where you want them. If you haven't already, take some time to study photos of salmon flies tied by the masters and this will help you with placement of parts and the general proportions of pheasant crests etc.
Still, a good job.

This is a heck of a lot of progress! Those married wings are tough. The best part, for me, in learning these styles of flies, is you really have to plan ahead and pay attention to your proportions

The only thing that stood out to me, is that the hook youre using is a little short for the length of your actual fly...thats just traditionally speaking. If you like it that way, do it that way...there are no rules set in stone....when I use golden pheasant crest as a tail I try to "mirror" the bend of the hook. Then the tips of my veiling meet the tips of my tail. I don't tie many flies like this, and your wing marrying is way beyond mine.

Check out "Building Classic Salmon Flies" by Ron Alcott. Its a good introduction to Salmon Flies.

Great job.

I know my hooks a little short...it's basically an oversized wet fly hook.

As to the crests, that's the only part I wasn't sure of the proportions for. I know to start the tag at the barb, tie in the tail and butt at the point, the veiling at the halfway point of the shank, the hackle about three eye lengths behind the eye and the wing 1 to 1.5 eye lengths behind the eye, with the wing extending to the halfway point on the tail, and the underwing even with the butt, and the cheeks at about the halfway point on the wing, but couldn't really find any references to proportioning the crests...

Here's a slight edit using a red line suggesting about where I would try to place the pheasnt crests.

Attachments

• 3snipersalmon.jpg
    3snipersalmon.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 3
Sweet!! Way ahead of me thats for sure!!

As to the married wings, for anyone thinking of trying them, I prefer to "prefabricate" my wings, I'll sit down for a half hour or so before going to bed with my winging material (goose shoulders of late), build a half dozen or so sets of wings, then store them in an old hook box until I need them. Also, make sure to keep your lefts separate from your rights, it'll save you a lot of time, trust me...also, I tied my first married wing a little over a month ago, so I guess I've picked that up pretty quick...

Also, I'm one of them "hipsters", apparently, being a mere 23 years old...so hopefully I have a while to perfect my technique.

so, it should look a little more like this? still not perfect, but I think I'm getting there, I even ordered some proper salmon hooks.

Attachments

• tryagain.jpg
    tryagain.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3
Also, I'm one of them "hipsters", apparently, being a mere 23 years old...so hopefully I have a while to perfect my technique.

yep a few more years to perfect. This is one of those tying experiences that does take years and $$$$ to perfect. Nice looking flies for a rookie though. getting better with each one.

Sniper,
Yup - getting better. This one has the pheasant crests right where I would have tried to put 'em.
Good job. Soon you'll need some frames to display them. :)

I'm sorry. Yoou are going to think I am absolutely insane, but you need to work on your floss. I know it doesn't look that bad, but when someone who really really knows what theey are doing (thats definetly not me) will go straight to see how your proportions and floss are first. Try and master the flossing, it's tough but once you get it your flies will look a ton better. I'll give you the link again because its a very very good site: http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
If you talk to him, thats what he stresses; floss. Overall, a nice job on it. While I'm being a jerk I'll just stick with it :) Your body floss looks fine but the tag...ehhhh. The front part look kind of crowded, but thats what you decided. A tip with the crest to not have it splay out, strip the part of the quill that you are tying in. I would say crowd the eye more, make it steeper and put lacquer or a glossy finish on it. (Not saying I could do any of this any better, just advice)

-Gaeron

The Ronn Lucas site is one of my favorites. I tied my first Rusty Rat from his S.B.S. Lots of info on there.

A tip someone else gave me once was to flatten the part of the GP crest you intend to bind down with thread. It helps keep the barbs from splaying.

Gaeron,
you are absolutely insane....

Yea I have to agree with Gaeronf. When tying soft-hackle's/traditionl wet's and classic salmon flies.. you want your floss/silk bodies as flat as possible. Like anything else with fly fishing it takes some time to get good at but, when done properly it looks awesome!

This is what I read when first getting into this style of tying. Never looked back! http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/flosswork/

One more try...I've been feeling very ill lately, so eye fatigue and general weakness have been impeding my ability, so I simplified it a little.

Attachments

• simplesalmon.jpg
    simplesalmon.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 3
You know what I am going to say ;)

Sniper,
Every part of the fly looks great. Much, much better than what i could tie. I do think gaeron was a little too critical in critiquing your fly, but he is right about the floss body..... not trying to sound like a know-it-all, just trying to help.

Looks nice sniper, but I like the floss on my flies to be frayed and ragged. (from the trouts teeth)

Not trying to start a fight or anything, but he asked for criticism and I gave it to him...lol. If you REALLY want some harsh criticism go to the classic fly tying forum. They will criticize you beyond belief, if it isn't done right.

Back