Salmon and Steelhead 2017

To interject my thought agian. Ive been saying for years the returns are not exclusive to ny tribs in lake erie. From 2010 to about 2012 steelhead returns in Erie were amazing. Than it was like a light switch was flipped numbers went WAY down. I havent caught a fish in a NY trib in three years. Hopefully with lake Michagan and Ontario having good years Lake Erie will fallow also. Have herd reports of many steelhead being caught by Walleye guys all summer. Plus have seen guys starting to catch steelhead from shore already so keep your fingers crossed. Has anyone been up to erie yet?

I was up yesterday. Considering it was only sept. 10, it was really good fishing. Walnut has fish, and of course crowds. With the last rain event and the continued cool temps, there's fish above rt. 5 already in somewhat decent numbers in other areas too. However, with no rain in the forecast for the next week, I suspect they won't last very long.

I didn't make it up to Erie over the weekend to scout around, but it's the thought that counts, right? ;-)

Thanks Mucka for the report.

PA tribs were hot this weekend. Went 7/9 myself Saturday and a few hours Sunday morning. Hit three streams and every one had fish, found two holes in particular that were absolutely stacked with fish that no one else was working due to murky water. Everything was dime fresh from the lake full of energy. I've never caught so many Steelhead that have jumped so high and run so fast in a single weekend before.

As stated a couple posts up, however, there's going to be minimal precipitation and warmer air temps this week, I doubt many more fish will run for the coming weekend, and a few may even drop back to the lake until it cools down again.

I fished PA tribs last weekend, and did very well. Unfortunately, I think the warm temperatures and lack of rain are going to put it on a hiatus for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apf3DNXj0mg

Erie is lacking water big time and the hot weather is putting a big damper on the fishing. Beach fishing is good first thing in the morning and right at dark. I would avoid the fish in the creeks if possible, please handle them with care and try not to take them out of the water very long if you do plan to release them.

Carry a thermometer with you, and don't fish once the water temp starts creeping up towards the 70s.

Very low and clear yesterday on the tribs. Most of the fish falling back to lake.
Need rain a tropical system would not hurt.

A nice surge of water is appearing at Uncle John's on Elk. The water appears fairly stained, but no large debris or even leaves can be seen.

I fished the Salmon River on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with 8 other guys in my group. The fishing was really good Thursday, just a hair less on Friday and Saturday was just so so. Even with that I had tons of hook ups every day and landed a good amount of fish. Of course for this time of year the vast majority were kings but still a fair amount of coho mixed in. I hooked 1-2 steelhead and a small brown. Had a few steelhead landed in our group and saw a few others around us. No browns for us but saw maybe 4-5 in the 10+lb category landed. We had a great trip and everyone caught fish, even the guys new to salmon fishing and fly fishing. Looks like I'll be making this an annual trip. It's been a few year since I've been up.

Nice to hear there are more steelhead and browns on the SR so far this season. It has been tough the last two years for those fish.

Little bit of action from the Salmon River with our group.

@ryguyfi - That's the Joss Pool at DSR. I've caught a LOT of salmon there this year and, more recently, quite a few steelhead but no browns.

mcneishm wrote:
@ryguyfi - That's the Joss Pool at DSR. I've caught a LOT of salmon there this year and, more recently, quite a few steelhead but no browns.

Yep we basically spent 3 days there and had consistent hook ups the whole time. It's just a funnel for the fish and especially when the steelhead are in that fast water at the top of the pool is incredible.

Just came back from the Salmon and fished the DSR. Was a pretty good bite for the steel. They were in the fast water.

tracker12 wrote:
Just came back from the Salmon and fished the DSR. Was a pretty good bite for the steel. They were in the fast water.

It will be better after the salmon die off.

Back