Salmon and Steelhead 2017

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

It's about that time. The DSR on the Salmon River looks to have their first small push of Kings in the river today. With limited fishing due to work and family I'm pretty much narrowed down to the occasional hatch chase in the Spring and fishing the tribs a few times in the Fall. I'll be up on the Salmon River on October 5-8 with a group. Can't wait for the season to come. Use this thread to share tips, fly patterns, pictures, etc for the Fall season.

I'll be going up labor day weekend with my yak hoping to get into some salmon but will be satisfied with smallmouth .I will post when i get back.

Heading to MI for a week...I'll be attacking the Manistee River.

I am trying to get into some "brighter" fish. I will be up Sep. 28 - Oct 3. Best of luck!

I'll be on the SR Sept27 to Oct4th then back on Oct16th.

Is it ok to peg beads in NY with the regs up there?

I think pegging beads are allowed in the general fishing area from Altmar down but not in the fly zones.

In case any of you were wondering the lake fishing has been on fire for most of the season. Guys that enjoy the salmon run its going to be a good one for sure. Hopefully the steelhead will be in good numbers as well. Hope the pics work but this is some damage we did two weekends ago on our boat.https://www.flickr.com/photos/154323845@N06/shares/87M163

any word on the steelhead this year? The steelhead fishing up there has been dreadful the past few seasons due to the thyminase (spelling) enzyme issue.

Lake O has been on fire for Salmon and Steelhead on the Western end this year. I'm assuming its the same on the eastern end.

No beads in fly zones for sure - I don't think you can use beads anywhere else but check NY regs.

You know funny you ask about the steelhead. Its so hard to gauge them by the summer lake season for me at least. There so hit and miss in the lake and you just dont catch many compaired to salmon and browns anyways. Also yes we have been fishing right out of mexico point. Best fishing the eastern end has seen in four seasons. The run could be as epic as the 2012 run. If I was planning a river trip this fall I would be pumped so all you guys start tying them flies. Personally im going to try to make sure just a couple more dont make it up river ????. Btw all you C&R when you fight them for 45mins in the lake and bring them up out of temp there spent so you have to keep them. Also on a side note I encourage all of you guys to try just once to lake fish. When you experience these fish at there peak of performance its very eye opening. Its not FF but who doesnt like melt your reel runs from a big fish?

Pegging trout beads is a legal way to fish in NY. except for fly zones. I use a stonefly or estaz fly instead of a bare hook in NY with the beads.

what are some other flies that are popular for king salmon? ive never fished for them before but im very curious about it and tempted to go this fall. types of flies, sizes, colors, etc. any and all help greatly appreciated!

Just curious...so to avoid the bare hook (snagging) issue, you replace with a stonefly?

I thought the issue with pegging beads is the method of catching the Steelies. Not necessarily the bead and the bare hook.

KBK-

LOL. Thats for a different thread...

One thing to keep in mind, as fun as LO tribs (and Erie Tribs) are, they are an artificial fishery. None of the fish that run are supposed to be there and there is very little natural reproduction. To me, they are a lot like Keystone Select Trout Waters (or whatever they are called). Enjoy them for what they are, an easy way to catch lots of big fish. As far as keeping fish or mortality due to angling, they put more in every year.

Actually moon the chinooks in Lake Ontario they have found to be about 50% natural reproduction. The adipose fin is the dead giveaway as the hatchery clips there fish. I havent caught a clipped fin all season.

I don't think NYSDEC still clips adipose fins on kings. When they did (a few years ago) I remember them saying 40-50% were wild. I have also heard that up to 70% of Chinooks caught in the SR are wild.

I never believed those numbers, mostly because when they stopped stocking Lake Erie with Kings, they more or less disappeared. I don't know if the DEC counts fish collected from wild brood stock as wild fish or not. I feel like if stocking of pacific salmon was ceased (which I hope DOES NOT happen), the fishery would become non-existent.

Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are 2 completely different places. Erie is a VERY shallow lake with a small watershed on the tribs and filled with shale. Just not suitable for reproduction. I don't know if I believe the 50% but I would say there's more reproduction in Lake Ontario than you think.

I've fished Ontario 3 times and will spend 4 days there in a few weeks. For flies I love an orange bead head zonker in black. I bet that catches as many fish as all other flies some days up there. I'll also do streamers (wooly buggers, zonkers, leach flies, etc) in chartreuse, black, red, pink and white. Eggs I use estaz in about 10 colors where orange and red seem to fish best and glo bugs in a bunch of colors where an egg color with pink dot seems to out produce. I know guys love a black stone fly up there but I just don't catch many with them.

The thing up there is to bring TONS of flies and TONS of split shot. The fish tear you off and there's lots of snags. NY doesn't sell lead. Aluminum is not as heavy and more expensive so bring 3-4 packs of spit shot. You can literally go through 1-2 dozen flies in a day. It sucks when you only have half a dozen of something that's working and you run out.

I have fished the open water a few times but would rather spend the money on the DSR especially when I do 1 trip a season and am there for just a few days. It's costly but you get the freshest fish and hopefully not as big of a crowd.

I'm hoping Erie has a good year. It's been more than a few years since I've had good fishing up there. Water levels have been bad and the fish numbers have been down. Still looking for that Erie brown trout too.

I remember a guy a little over a year ago that was hesitant to even say the word "bead". The times they are a changin' :-D

ryguyfi wrote:

PatrickC wrote:
I remember a guy a little over a year ago that was hesitant to even say the word "bead". The times they are a changin' :-D

ryguyfi wrote:

That guy still exists. This guy is actually doing some product testing for the shop so exceptions need to be made. Alaska is a whole different story but I'm never opposed to change.

Back