safety: fishing rough, remote topography

Favorite line I got from Gierach, but pull out once in a while....

Wife or boss asks: "How can I reach you?"

Answer: "You can't"//quote-ditto head here

Well, cell phones aren't totally useless in area's where YOU can't get a signal. Most cell phones today have a "Location" setting on them. On mine at least, you go to "Settings and Tools", then to "Phone Settings". Then you choose "Location' and your phone is set. If you don't return home at a pre determined time/day your kin calls the Authorities and they can somehow determine your basic location via your phone. I believe it works something like that. Perhaps someone who knows more about how it works can explain it better.

wildtrout,

Many phones have a GPS chip, even if they don't have the software. Yes, IF YOU HAVE CELL COVERAGE, the phone will tell authorities where you are.

GPS chips recieve info from satellites to determine your position, but don't transmit to them. Thus, to tell the authorities, the phone is still using the cell phone towers. They typically have a 911 setting, so that if you call 911 it automatically goes into that mode and the authorities get to track your phone. Even if you don't call 911, if they have your phone #, they can activate it and track you up.

The required coverage for the system is less than you need to make a call. So, for instance, if you have crappy coverage, not enough to make a call, this might still work. But if you have absolutely no coverage (phone says "no service"), the phone ain't gonna do nothing for ya. Unless they have a portable tower or something they can temporarily set up if they know the general area, which is possible.

Actually had that happen once. Broke down (lost the tranny) in the middle of I-80 in western Nebraska on our way to Idaho. Didn't have the # of any tow services or anything. So we called 911 and splained the situation.

Operator said she'd send a squad car to take us into town and make arrangements. Didn't ask where I was. When I mentioned something, she said she already knew where we were. As soon as I hung up, phone started vibrating and flashing 911 mode. Cop was there in minutes. The moment he came in sight, the phone went back to normal.

The whistle is an excellent suggestion. Can hear the whistle from a further distance and much easier to whistle versus yelling out. Didn’t think too much about this stuff at times during my younger days but I can now look back and be thankful nothing real bad ever happened while out in the wilds.

If I may; since it is the dead of winter, here is a story of one of my good buddy’s outdoor misfortunes.

My bud was climbing on a rock formation alone about a half a mile or so from a remote parking area, when he had a fall. This was pre-cell phone days and he was not roped up (being a complete hard head) while practicing a move that he had done multiple times that evening. He became too tired to make any additional moves. He was about 20 feet up with a rock jumble below him. After some deliberation, he made the decision he could no longer go on and was about to take his chances with dropping out. Well, that did not go well; as his ankle hit a rock and was shattered.

Could not fathom the pain he was enduring and the fact that he still had a long way to go before this episode was to conclude. He could not stand and was already tired from the climbing but I guess he was working on adrenaline. He realized that his only option was to crawl his way out to the car before total darkness. To make matters worse, after he crawled some distance he realized he had left his keys at the rock and had to turn back to get them. Uuggh! He told me his foot would hit the ground every time he moved and the pain was excruciating. The worst part was he had to crawl down a bank of a small creek, cross and up the other side holding on to everything he could grab.

He did eventually make it out to the vehicle before complete darkness but his coup de grâce was that he had a stick shift-ha. Finally he managed to pull into the Connellsville hospital and honked his horn till someone came out. He now walks with a very pronounced limp and a cane some 20 years later. I think some of the true life emergency shows have contacted him but he never followed up on those. Unreal.

You never realize how serious those situations are until you experience them. You take your chances until your chances run out...then you learn the value of preparation and restraint. Funny how a simple thing like forgetting your keys can become so serious.

Hope your buddy is progressing.

albatross wrote:
Does anyone have/use a SPOT (Satellite Personal Outdoor Tracker)(http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6636)?

Modest 100-150 investment for the hardware and another 100 annual for communication service. it would give my wife peace of mind while I'm out by myself.

Good advice Alby.Gave one to the brotherinlaw ,he's a kayaker and goes in some crazy places.had bypass surgery as well.ACR makes a unit,$350 or so, I don't think it needs an annual fee,I really think I'll get one for the boat,etc.
I'd say that not being macho and going it alone also would be my advice.

I have an uncle who is a photographer. He basically hunts with a camera.

He had a similar misfortune, broke a leg way back in. Made it out a little over a day later, I guess some crawling, some one footed hopping, etc.

Thanks, great discussion. I have added a small first aid kit with bandaids, aspirin, and tylenol; a mylar blanket; and water treatment tablets from Eastern Mountain Sports. Also, a small Bic lighter -- I don't smoke and didn't realize there are 2 sizes.

And, these new items just required me to get a new vest, bummer :)

I will also do more to let my wife know where I'm headed, and skip solo trips to rougher ravines when there is too much snow and ice.... My last trip was great, but a bit hairy on the way in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22661054@N00/5310389511/

awesome photos kbob. Stay safe out there...

Good conversation and has me rethinking all the crap I haul around with me. Actually been doing pretty well trimming the junk back lately in my chest pack.

Good planning comes to mind for safety if your running around in some of the backwoods fishing. I didn't see the movie first discussed, but followed the story when it broke a few years ago and the one thing still stands out from letting a big rock fall on you and then having to hack your arm off...tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. Could be worth an arm to you. Just saying.

After that a plastic whistle, space blanket, small knife, a few matches, energy bar and some water would see most anyone through one cold wet night. Most people get in real serious trouble not from lack of food, water or big rocks dropping on them, but hypothermia.

That being said when I am fishing in the future I might fish close to JackM and his flask that way when I do have an arm needing hacked off it won't feel quit as painful.

I'll put in a third vote for the SPOT tracker.

They're handy little units, about the size of your fist. They can be set up for real time tracking, not just for emergency use, and they do have a distress '911' button for when things go pear shaped and you need extracted. They're quite popular with the self support bike packing crowd, where you cover a lot of ground and put yourself wayyyyyy out there. If wifey is curious or concerned about your whereabouts, she can log in and see pretty directly where you're at.

Of course, the most important safety tool is the one between your ears...

I have always been interested in this topic. I have the SAS Survival Handbook, (Older large version), and have always been interested in preparedness and Survival skills.

However, this past summer I jumped in my truck with some camera and fishing gear and decided to try a 22 mile hike on the "AT". I drank maybe a quart and a half of Gatorade on the way there thinking that would be plenty. Hiked over an 1,100 ft. ridge and just kept walking and walking in one direction for about 9 miles when I realized the hot humid air was getting to me and it was getting late. I was drenched in sweat and thirsty the entire trip back and ended up drinking water from a ground seepage.

I will not make that mistake again. Make sure you bring enough water with you. I went out after that and bought an extra large water container.

I always keep a survival kit in my truck in case I want to stow it, which contains all kinds of useful goodies and I usually carry a Leatherman and a substantially large pocket knife.

"Make sure you bring enough water with you. I went out after that and bought an extra large water container."

great point, my new vest has extra pockets that can hold more water bottles, and I also added a small flat bottle and water treatment tablets to it. the water treatment tabs were cheap at REI

If wifey is curious or concerned about your whereabouts, she can log in and see pretty directly where you're at.

that is exactly why I don't want one!! I also love the fact that cell phones don't work in lots of brookie stream ravines! I always turn it off anyways when I fish. the only person I care to talk to is the person I am fishing with.
I really like traveling out of the country, cell phone stays home, nice to experience the world without thinking one needs to be in constant contact.
and you can never carry too much water. or at least take some kind of purification device. tablets, filter, whatever. I have a bottle that has a filter built in, it's not perfect, but it takes out most of the nasty stuff.

Sounds like you're pretty well prepared!

Don't forget to bring the sidearm when you go into the backwoods too!

you think you have problems

As a FF/Emt I would also say bring a days worth of any meds you take on a daily basis i.e. heart, bp, diabetes. I had to spend a night out while hunting a few years ago got turned around pretty bad a couple things I never go into the wilderness without are a good sharp knife, fire starter ( I prefer the newer ones work even when wet lighters dont) and a compass the gps is great but may not work in rough contry these couple things can make a bad trip easier.A small emergency kit can be made and fit into a plastic band-aid box dosen't take up alot of room. That and don't listen to everything Bear Grylls says =)

034226_87_p1_600x600.jpg

In Pete's closet are a few of these :lol:

Back