Safe wadable flow for Penns Creek

fishboy71

fishboy71

I’m looking to fish penns creek soon, and was wondering what is a safe wadable flow?

Depends. 350 - 400 is perfect in my opinion. I’ve fished it as high as 600 which was very difficult for me. Almost all of my Penns Creek fishing is in the C&R section or just upstream of that. I was hoping it would finally drop this week but rain on the way today into tomorrow.

I would agree I have waded at 600 cfs before, but not worth for me again. Anything under 400 is doable. I think that the rocks on the streambed of Penns are always a unique challenge almost more than any other stream. Beside the flow, dancing across those greased bowling balls is tough too. It was the first stream that I realized a wading staff was a requirement for me.

I would agree I have waded at 600 cfs before, but not worth for me again. Anything under 400 is doable. I think that the rocks on the streambed of Penns are always a unique challenge almost more than any other stream. Beside the flow, dancing across those greased bowling balls is tough too. It was the first stream that I realized a wading staff was a requirement for me.
Up till about the age of 40 I thought the wading staff was was something I just didn't need. At 60+ on most water now a days, especially Penns and the LJ it's something I just about always have with me. Little like water flows and height. Years back I thought nothing about stepping into 3 to almost 4 foot height in the Barree section of the LJ. LOL. I like it under 3ft now a days. Was up at camp in Huntingdon last week. I couldn't even think about step'n in the LJ in the Barree area.

Thanks guys, hopefully looking to fish it at the end of this week. Reference a wading staff, what do you guys prefer graphite or wood? It's time for me to start using one.

Thanks guys, hopefully looking to fish it at the end of this week. Reference a wading staff, what do you guys prefer graphite or wood? It's time for me to start using one.
I use a collapsable metal pole much like a tent pole that is specifically made as a wading staff. I can then holster on my belt. There are some good threads about this topic in the forum.

I'll put in a plug for a wood wading staff. The staff hanging by a tether when in the water is a small pain, I have to flip the stick around behind me when I get in position. But the foldable ones I have seen come apart when you stick it into mud then try to pull it out, which happens all the time. The stick costs nothing but 5 minutes to lash a rope onto it, so I would recommend trying that before buying a foldable one.

BTW, for the actual topic at hand, I was fishing it this past weekend (650-720 cfs) and we had no trouble. You can't cross the stream at that many places. But we were able to fish everywhere we wanted to.

One other relevant observation: I tried out the new Korkers aluminum hex soles and they worked quite well in Penn's.

Last edited:
I've got a length of bamboo with a ski pole grip on it, a nail in the water end and a tether on it. It works just fine.

The highest I've fished Penns was just over 1k this winter, but that was an accident. It was 750/800 and dropping when my brother and I left my house but spiked in the afternoon, probably due to snowmelt. We still caught a couple fish tho and it was fun to fish it that high (streamers). I think that there are plenty of places in the C&R section that are pretty accessible at 600-800 cfs, but most of it is pretty gnarly above 700. Regardless, 350 or so is the best IMO. Seems like it's been months and months since it's gotten that low.

And yeah, I don't leave home without my wading staff when heading to Penns. Essential gear for me.

I like the staff from Orvis that can be broken down in 3 sections for carrying in a belt holster. I keep it fully assembled and ready when wading, but carry it in the belt holster on long walks in and out.

I’m looking to fish penns creek soon, and was wondering what is a safe wadable flow?
My limit at Penns is around 600. Above that I generally stay on the babk or in shallow areas. I always use studded boot soles and a wading staff there also

+1 for studs. Penns has made me a stud aficionado. The Orvis ones are expensive but they really bite. Better than the Simms studs for sure and better than the cheap ones I used forever.

Does anyone have experience using Korker studded soles? I'm a small guy it sounds like 500cfs might be my limit on penns.

I use Korker studded rubber soles on Penns. Work fine. I also use a Simms collapsible wading staff now on all occasions after tripping over rocks and my own feet one too many times. Keep it folded up in holster walking in and out. Keep it extended while fishing. Not in the way as much as I thought it would be. Over 500cfs can be sketchy for sure.

Does anyone have experience using Korker studded soles? I'm a small guy it sounds like 500cfs might be my limit on penns.
I use them and they work well. with the interchangeable doles you can change to match what is needed for different streams and conditions

I use studded korkers and a staff. I've crossed it above 800 many times. It depends where you are and what your comfort level is.

I hooked and lost my biggest Penns fish at over 3000. I wasn't in the water.

I have two different pairs of Korkers. They are paired with Simm wading shoes. Takes, due to my age and meticulous movements when rigging up, an extra 5 minutes. Highly recommend. BW

I have used the Folstaff and while it is a good staff the tip got jammed between rocks and the sections pulled apart on multiple occasions. Then, oddly enough, it got stuck together trying to take it down. I greatly prefer a 1 piece stick and actually just use one of my old ski poles. Check out second hand /resale shops - there always seem to be some there and they are usually a buck or 2. Just add a piece of cord with a loop to attach to your belt.
Just remember many ski poles are made for right or left hand so be sure to get the one for the hand you commonly use to hold the pole.

I've fished Penns between 8-900 CFS. It can get sketchy at that flow, but its usually fine as long you don't wade deeper than your hips. That said, the gauge is way down stream from the area most people fish and there can be times the lower end gets hit hard, but the area from Coburn to Weikert is fine. Best to check in with the local fly shops.

I never fish Penns without a wading staff and I have metal studs in my boots. I use a wood wading staff with a parachute cord tether. It's made from a stick I found on the bank of a creek, it had all the bark chewed off by the water, which gave it a cool driftwood like finish. It's not fancy, but it is effective and the price was right.

Back