Safe wadable flow for Penns Creek

I have used the Folstaff and while it is a good staff the tip got jammed between rocks and the sections pulled apart on multiple occasions. Then, oddly enough, it got stuck together trying to take it down. I greatly prefer a 1 piece stick and actually just use one of my old ski poles. Check out second hand /resale shops - there always seem to be some there and they are usually a buck or 2. Just add a piece of cord with a loop to attach to your belt.
Just remember many ski poles are made for right or left hand so be sure to get the one for the hand you commonly use to hold the pole
I've fished Penns between 8-900 CFS. It can get sketchy at that flow, but its usually fine as long you don't wade deeper than your hips. That said, the gauge is way down stream from the area most people fish and there can be times the lower end gets hit hard, but the area from Coburn to Weikert is fine. Best to check in with the local fly shops.

I never fish Penns without a wading staff and I have metal studs in my boots. I use a wood wading staff with a parachute cord tether. It's made from a stick I found on the bank of a creek, it had all the bark chewed off by the water, which gave it a cool driftwood like finish. It's not fancy, but it is effective and the price was right.
Thanks guys for all the good info. I'm excited to make my own staff now!

I’m looking to fish penns creek soon, and was wondering what is a safe wadable flow?
I just got back from Penns 4/18-21 where I fished Poe Paddy. Water levels varied between 600 and 900 (snow and rain). I was fine wading at 600 and casting to risers in thigh deep water but did not even attempt to cross the creek. I was wearing studded boots and a carrying a staff.

Back